Level 7 Bar Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi My DD is a new level 7. She has her giants but not her giant giant fly away. What is the deduction for doing a giant giant kip cast fly away instead of a flyaway from her giant giant?

And what about if she does a giant giant pull over swing fly away?

I hope I said that all right!

Also I have seen some girls do the routines differently....Is there a higher score for those girls that go into a handstand instead of the cast handstand? cast handstand to me is where they kinda split their legs then go into a handstand.
And what about those that do their clear hip on the high bar instead of the low bar? Do girls do that because it's a higher score?

Thank you!

I don't know if there is a deduction or not but a giant isn't required for L7. there is a list of Elements that are allowed moves that CAN be used to meet the requirements of L7 (as well as the other optional levels).

For bars in Level 7
"Only “A” & “B” elements are allowed. Only the following “C” elements on UB are allowed & receive “B” credit: Cast Handstand ½ turn, Clear hip circle/Back stalder /Pike sole circle bkwd. to HS, also with ½ turn

BARS requirements

1. 1 cast - minimum of 45° from vertical

2. & 3. Two 360° clear circling elements, same or different (no hips on bar)

- one must be a “B”

- one from Group 3, 6, or 7

4. Salto dismount, minimum A
they have requirements like this for each event. What the list contains for Level A and Level B skills are I'm sure is somewhere on the USAG site or you can ask your DD's gym. there aren't any bonus moves available for L7 andif you have all the requirements needed there shouldn't be a deduction for choosing one A element over another A element or one B elelment over another B element.

Thank you for the reply.
What is Salto Dismount? - Maybe that would answer my question as to whether it matters if she doesn't do a flyaway from her giant giant.

I really would love to know how much of a deduction it is to not do that at her dismount.

Thanks!

Flyaway is a salto ( back or front flip- tuck, layout, piked, etc). It doesn't matter whether she does it from a giant or from another skill as long as she keeps the flow of the routine going.

It will not affect her start value if she kips out of her giant to a flyaway, rather than doing an immediate flyaway. However, if she does kip cast (not to handstand) flyaway she will receive an up to .3 execution deduction for her cast not going to handstand. Anytime an optional gymnast casts, it incurs that deduction, unless the cast hits a handstand.

Clear Hips are not worth more on the high bar.

Awesome answers. So basically doing a cast to flyaway is not better because the likelyhood of not getting to full handstand can be there rather than just going from a giant?

She is scared to do from a giant because of speed.

Why do some girls do clear hip on the high bar then?
And why do some girls go into a straight handstand instead of a cast handstand? Is there more points for that? Cast hand stand in my terms is the split leg to handstand thing... sorry I dont know my terminolgy.
thanks so much for the replies!

because it is bonus when you get to level 9 if you perform a free hip to a double fly away for example.

1 is called a straddle cast and the other straight body. both are the same value currently. and straddle is easier for some kids.

I competed giant, giant, pullover, underswing, flyaway for a few meets before I got the giant flyaway connection and scored well - upper 8's with mega cast deductions - so that might be a good alternative. If she does the flyaway directly after the underswing (no extra tap swing like the level 6 highbar), I don't believe there is an extra swing deduction.

because it is bonus when you get to level 9 if you perform a free hip to a double fly away for example.

True, although in level 7 they're probably doing clear hip giants to flyaways if they didn't clear hip on the low bar (otherwise they wouldn't have a complete routine). In this cast it cuts out an extra kip and cast so this is the most efficient level 7 bar routine in terms of meeting the requirements with less deductible skills.

Clear hip on the low bar w/ giants: kip, cast, clear hip, kip, squat on, long hang kip, cast, giants, flyaway
Clear hip on HB w/ giants: kip, squat on, long hang kip, cast, clear hip, giants, flyaway

Technically only need one giant for either routine I guess (they'll give squat on as an A - I think) but most girls do two in my region, maybe different elsewhere. I bolded the two additional skills in the first routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back