WAG Level 7 beam flight question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD has that skill (they call it a tuck half) in her new L7 beam routine. It's a B skill but not her flight skill- they added a RO for flight.

Reactions: sce
Like raenndrops said, flight skills refers to acro or tumbling elements.

Most common at level 7 are round-off or BHS. Others you see on occasion are dive cartwheel, front handspring, or back handspring swing-down.

Thank you all!
i was hoping...
I saw a video of a girl doing a level 7 routine, and she had CW-CW connection, and this "half tuck". But then there was another cartwheel, with a "little" pep. I had originally assumed it was her RO, but just wasn't the highest. Then I hoped this tuck jump was the flight. I gather now that it was indeed supposed to be her roundoff.

I wish it was....but I don't believe it is. Can she do a roundoff?
I think that's what she's going to try.

That might not have been a RO, but a Dive CW. The flight is during takeoff before the hands land and the feet come down one at a time, unlike RO where feet come down together. Check this out. This has both DCW and RO as the series (I think).

That might not have been a RO, but a Dive CW. The flight is during takeoff before the hands land and the feet come down one at a time, unlike RO where feet come down together. Check this out. This has both DCW and RO as the series (I think).

Thank you for sharing that!
Because of the the DCW and RO, she has two flights elements, that are together and count as her connection also, yes?

This is what I'm looking at.
At the 30 second mark is the only thing I can figure out is what is her flight.

Thank you for sharing that!
Because of the the DCW and RO, she has two flights elements, that are together and count as her connection also, yes?

This is what I'm looking at.
At the 30 second mark is the only thing I can figure out is what is her flight.

Well, I am not a judge, but I question whether that has "flight" to the standards needed. I am guessing that was a DCW, but she didn't really jump into the skill, but rather tried to pop off her hands. That is what you do for a RO, but then she didn't land her feet together. But, yes, I agree that was intended to be her flight skill. I'll let the judges and coaches comment on whether that was executed correctly. ;-)

The skill at :30 is supposed to be a dive cartwheel, so yes, it would count for her flight.
However, the judges could devalue a dive cartwheel to a regular cartwheel if there isn't enough "airtime". That is one reason dive cartwheels aren't usually used as the only flight skill - in case the judges don't count it.

Well, I am not a judge, but I question whether that has "flight" to the standards needed. I am guessing that was a DCW, but she didn't really jump into the skill, but rather tried to pop off her hands. That is what you do for a RO, but then she didn't land her feet together. But, yes, I agree that was intended to be her flight skill. I'll let the judges and coaches comment on whether that was executed correctly. ;-)

Thank you - now you see why I wasn't sure what it was - LOL!

Sorry if I have this wrong, but is your dd the one who was struggling with the bwo? If so, has it got any better, I hope? Meaning, ok, she won't compete it, but is the confidence coming back (especially if she knows she won't have to compete it?)....sometimes knowing it doesn't have to happen in a meet brings new found confidence. :)

Sorry if I have this wrong, but is your dd the one who was struggling with the bwo? If so, has it got any better, I hope? Meaning, ok, she won't compete it, but is the confidence coming back (especially if she knows she won't have to compete it?)....sometimes knowing it doesn't have to happen in a meet brings new found confidence. :)

You've got it right :)
Unfortunately, right now, because of trying so many on the floor beam (while afraid to move to crank beam - 20 at a time, night after night), she's got a stress reaction in her back. So it's off the table for the moment.
Once she's cleared, I do plan to try yo use this to her benefit and really talk with HCs and explain that they will lose her if they push it. Last year in L6 they tried to nudge her, right up until a few weeks before the first meet, and then they finally took it out. I had a whole new kid after that! She had more confidence this past year than I've EVER seen her have. And she rocked L6!
So I'm hoping they will understand her, and work with her, and hold onto her for one more year, and get her through L7 without it...

You've got it right :)
Unfortunately, right now, because of trying so many on the floor beam (while afraid to move to crank beam - 20 at a time, night after night), she's got a stress reaction in her back. So it's off the table for the moment.
Once she's cleared, I do plan to try yo use this to her benefit and really talk with HCs and explain that they will lose her if they push it. Last year in L6 they tried to nudge her, right up until a few weeks before the first meet, and then they finally took it out. I had a whole new kid after that! She had more confidence this past year than I've EVER seen her have. And she rocked L6!
So I'm hoping they will understand her, and work with her, and hold onto her for one more year, and get her through L7 without it...
What did she sub in L6? We saw lots of bhs, bwo, and ro in L6. Has she ever tried ro?

Heck, in level 6, I think the acro skill can be a CW. It all comes down to the gym philosophy.;)

My DD goes to a gym that is highly inflexible about skills in JO levels, but more so in Xcel. :(

For 6 - BHS a must
For 7 - BWO-BWO and BHS, or BWO-BHS. I think they tried working a RO instead with one girl, once...only once...and probably more to go into the BT dismount.

Ali'sMom, I hope your DD's gym is more open to try other skills!

Heck, in level 6, I think the acro skill can be a CW. It all comes down to the gym philosophy.;)

Any acro skill that does through vertical counts for level 6. We had girls doing RO and BHS, and we also had girls doing CW, BWO, handstand forward roll, and back extension roll. Lots of choices in level 6. I think that's one of the benefits of level 6: if you are having a fear or are held back by injury on one event and are not quite ready for 7, you can do a simpler routine on that event and still meet the requirements, while doing more like "level 7 routines" everywhere else.

What did she sub in L6? We saw lots of bhs, bwo, and ro in L6. Has she ever tried ro?

She started out learning a routine that had:
BWO
split jump
another small jump
CW

After falling and hurting with BWO, that was starting to give us trouble.
They took that out, and substituted Handstand.

Then she fell on a full turn, hit the beam 90' perpendicular with her sternum. (they said she taco'd the beam with her chest). Complete with bruises...
After that, we almost didn't get the full turn back (except that it's mandatory). A few privates with warm & fuzzy favorite coach helped. BUT, she was then afraid of the handstand. Afraid that if she went all the way up, she'd go over. So that came out.
I joked that if they took anything else out, she'd be running across the beam and jumping off.

In the end, her Level 6 competition routine was:
CW
split jump
little jump
split leap

She has tried CW-Cw and RO a little bit on low beam. When she complained about her back hurting, and we were waiting to get into her appt, she was told "just do whatever you can on beam". So she took it upon herself to teach herself those :)

@LizzieLac Our coaches are relatively open. That was her routine while the rest of her team did BWOs and BHSs. (some BHSs gotten taken out before States, to polish up some form).
I've been told they will let her do the CW-CW and RO, "if" she just truly really can't get the BWO and BHS. But they even said "But don't tell her that yet, I want her to try". Which I totally get.
(And she LOVED watching L8 States, and noticed 3 girls didn't go backwards :) and was quick to point it out!)
And if she were the kid that was dying to progress and move to upper levels, I'd want it too. But she's not.
So I will be having the meeting with them eventually, and do my best to not be "that mom", nor CGM, but I will have to make it clear that she won't go through another training season like last year. She tried and tried and cried and cried and panicked and hated herself. and wanted to quit (AFTER I bought the million dollar diamond encrusted piece of lycra), until they finally said "Okay, we will take it out". And BAM, first meet she came in 2nd place beam, and grew about 2 inches with pride.

Sorry so long - if you can't tell, this is a hot topic right now... LOL!

Yeah - a L6 beam routine can be made easier than the L5 beam and still have a full start value. We had a few 6's w/ fear issues literally compete a cartwheel for their acro and still do very well.

L7 is a significant jump in beam requirements from the previous levels - more so than even bars IMO. A series on beam is just hard no matter how you cut it, and once in 7 you can't avoid it. Same deal w/ the flight. On bars you can avoid the giant of you really need to.

Yeah - a L6 beam routine can be made easier than the L5 beam and still have a full start value. We had a few 6's w/ fear issues literally compete a cartwheel for their acro and still do very well.

L7 is a significant jump in beam requirements from the previous levels - more so than even bars IMO. A series on beam is just hard no matter how you cut it, and once in 7 you can't avoid it. Same deal w/ the flight. On bars you can avoid the giant of you really need to.

I think it is funny that in L6 Beam, NOTHING has to be connected… but in Xcel Gold and Platinum, they have to connect a leap/ jump series and in Platinum, they have to have either connected acro OR flight acro.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back