Parents Level 7 Floor Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get your first level 7 floor routine down? My dd's going to have a little over a month from the time she gets her music/choregraphy to her first meet this season.

There seems to be a lot of "favorites" being played because so many of the moms work there (and I am not one of them), and we don't kiss butt. We also don't complain about stuff all the time, so my daughter seems to fall through the cracks sometimes. We love the coaches, but are worried since this is a tougher level.

Well they usually have a feel for the routine that night they learn it then its a matter of how often they work it at practice. That should be enough time to get it to a competion level but it could be better that is if she has all her tumbling passes and leap skills already.

don't forget to video tape it when they get the routine so your DD can look at it at home to remember it.

worry=loved ones who are dying. concern=everday problems. don't be concerned.:)

Great advice, as usual, Dunno. Definitely videotape the routine. As long as she has her tumbling skills, it shouldn't take too long to get all the dance put into place. Mostly she needs the endurance to get through her routine!

A month should be enough to get the routine down. Will it get better as the season goes on?? Sure, just like her compulsory floor routines did. Will it change? Most likely some little dance moves will get added or removed. The L7 floor routine is usually pretty basic---its really like a complusory routine as far as the tumbling.
Your gym reminds me a little of Dance Moms:)

Oh god if my gym reminded me of dance moms I would be heading for the door!! Those folks are insane!

There seems to be a lot of "favorites" being played because so many of the moms work there (and I am not one of them), and we don't kiss butt. We also don't complain about stuff all the time, so my daughter seems to fall through the cracks sometimes.

I felt like this at DD's last gym... that the "queen bees" and the girls with the moms who made the biggest stink got all the perks. Not a nice feeling. :(

Thanks!

A month should be enough to get the routine down. Will it get better as the season goes on?? Sure, just like her compulsory floor routines did. Will it change? Most likely some little dance moves will get added or removed. The L7 floor routine is usually pretty basic---its really like a complusory routine as far as the tumbling.
Your gym reminds me a little of Dance Moms:)

Thanks for all the enouragement and advice! I needed a reality check that this is a concern and NOT a worry. =) You all made me feel much better!

So funny you mentioned Dance Moms, I'm a huge fan. I would rather have a Chloe than a Maddie though! It does get a little like that, which is why I don't stay and watch practice anymore. It was either complaints about the coaches (which I don't go for), "my kid this-my kid that" moms or "Hey, my kid got one less turn at vault" moms. What's really ironic is that the "queen bee" is the girl who is always putting down the gym, and saying she wants to quit. Her mom forces her to continue. I have a lot of respect/loyalty for the coaches (we've been there 10 years), but I have a hard time understanding why they are putting up w/this kid and letting her mom insert herself in every aspect of the gym (working there, booster club, etc.):confused:

What's really ironic is that the "queen bee" is the girl who is always putting down the gym, and saying she wants to quit. etc.):confused:

This is the way it was in our last gym too. If there's going to be a kid who is treated "special" let it be the kid with the best attitude who works the hardest. Not sure how the girls with the bad attitudes who are always sneaking off to text end up ruling the gym. Those are not the girls I want my dd looking up to.

Absolutely! And, I'm not saying that kid should be mine either (she can be a real handful), but she does love her gym, her coaches and her teammates (well, all but this one). This "queen bee" brings the entire team down. When she beats someone, she rubs it in their noses at the meets and at all the practices until the next meet. When she doesn't win, there's always an excuse and tells the girls who do win it was just luck or the judges didn't see them do something wrong and she really should have won. If she doesn't place (or places low even), she cries and has fits. YET.............the preferential treatment continues!

Absolutely! And, I'm not saying that kid should be mine either (she can be a real handful), but she does love her gym, her coaches and her teammates (well, all but this one). This "queen bee" brings the entire team down. When she beats someone, she rubs it in their noses at the meets and at all the practices until the next meet. When she doesn't win, there's always an excuse and tells the girls who do win it was just luck or the judges didn't see them do something wrong and she really should have won. If she doesn't place (or places low even), she cries and has fits. YET.............the preferential treatment continues!

Yikes! That girl sounds like a real nightmare to be around. :-( I'm guessing she doesn't have many friends.

Are you at my gym? We have a girl JUST like that!! lol!!

We had one of those too, it got very ugly at times as she made the others feel so bad if they ever scored higher than her. I was always surprised that the judges didn't penalise her after some if her "performances".

Back to your original issue though, my girls have alwasy had "optional" style routines, just the way things are in Canada. They have always managed to learn them in way less than a month. Usually they have been very excited about having their own routine and that certainly helped.

Sounds like most girls can learn their routine in a month. At our gym the Optional girls get their routines in July or August--to compete starting in January.

Can't stand preferential treatment! Drives me batty when I see it--and it's worse when the coaches bow to the parent pressure.

Aw, sorry about the gym drama.

But excited for the L7 routine! My dd just got hers a couple of weeks ago... she has until January to perfect it, so I guess we're a bit spoiled but it honestly looked pretty good even right after doing the choreography. I'm sure a month will be fine. And I bet she's just sooooo excited to finally get her own routine!! I definitely second taping it. It's nice to be able to go back and look.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back