Level 7 Requirements Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I had a few questions about bars and floor that were bugging me and that I'd like to set straight before I compete.

Bars- My coach told me that you only need one requirement height cast (45 degrees about horizontal) in level 7 bars, and that if you don't get your other one there is no deduction. Is this true?

Floor- Do switch leaps need to be to 180 degrees? Also, is there a deduction for having the leap at an angle?

Thanks!

I didn't know that then. My coach recently told me this. I tend to have a 30 above horizontal cast, but on high bar I'm just shy of handstand. My coach told me that only one needs to be requirements height to have a 10.00 SV, and that I won't get a deduction for my other cast being small, as long as it's about horizontal. I just want to know if this is true.

Well, now you know the answer (at least half of it).

BTW, I believe the leap/jump series requirement was also mentioned recently. I definitely cannot retrieve that one as easily because I wasn't a part of it. You can try doing a search.

This is a difference between a special requirement/value part (reflected in SV) and an execution deduction. A gymnast can get a 10 SV if not all casts go to handstand in the routine. In L7 there is an SR of a cast 45 degrees above horizontal (minimum). If this is met, along with the other SRs, the routine is from a 10 SV. All casts that don't hit handstand will receive deductions depending on what angle they hit. These are execution errors and not reflected in the SV. It's a matter of amplitude.

I think leaps are considered split if they go to 150 degrees (a judge would have to confirm that, I'm not really sure) but if an optional is not hitting close to 180 on floor I would think there would be some kind of amplitude or other deductions in many cases. I don't know what you mean about having the leap on an angle.

Bars:
1. The special requirement-- worth .5-- for level 7 bars is 45* above horizontal.
2. For every cast that is not to HS, you can lose up to .3* for the angle of the cast. This is an expectation, not a requirement. (Exceptions: L7/8 bars-- a low cast is allowed into a bail and a peach)

Floor:
1. To fulfill the special requirement, your leap must hit 135*.
2. To avoid deductions for a lack of split, your leap must hit 180*.

for bars you have to get a least one cast 45 above horizontal other wise its a .3 deduction.but the other cast you can up to .6 depending on how high or low they are. im not sure wat it does to your start value though.for floor i dont know the answer

for the leaps I think she is asking about leaps where the legs are not horizontal or the split not symmetrical.

Exactly gymnut1!
When I get excited on floor, or I don't push my splits, my switch leap is seriously tilted to where my front leg is much lower than my back leg.
I don't know if this is a deduction or not, because it is the main issue with my whole routine.
So I DO need to have both of my casts to a 45 degree minimum?
Or else I will have deductions?
That helps to know!

Also, my coach told me another thing about casting:
He said that I can arch and bend my legs on the way up, as long as I straighten myself out at the top. Again, is this true?

Thank you so much! This is helping a lot!

To avoid deductions for height on casts, all casts must be within 10* of vertical unless you're in level 7 or 8 and you're doing a bail or peach afterwards. However, you only need to hit 45* once to fulfill the special requirement for L7, which is worth .5.

You will get a deduction if you arch and bend your knees on the way up in your cast, even if you get tight at the top.

Yes, a leap with legs at different heights is a deduction.

Last edited:
To avoid deductions for height on casts, all casts must be within 10* of vertical unless you're in level 7 or 8 and you're doing a bail or peach afterwards. However, you only need to hit 45* once to fulfill the special requirement for L7, which is worth .5.

You will get a deduction if you arch and bend your knees on the way up in your cast, even if you get tight at the top.

Yes, a leap with legs at different heights is a deduction.

Sorry, what is a peach?:eek: I've heard of bails, and maybe of peaches, but just by a different name. Thanks:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back