WAG Level 7 vault question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gasrgoose

Proud Parent
Another level 7 question. On vault how much of the score is height and distance of flight? Do judges take into account if the gymnast is smaller? If a 4'4" 55 lb 9 year old vaults after a 5'2" 110lb 15 year old she probably won't have as much height or distance. If the technique is good could they score the same? Also if the table height is lower it would be more difficult to get the same amplitude.

Another level 7 question.[1] On vault how much of the score is height and distance of flight?[2] Do judges take into account if the gymnast is smaller?[3] If a 4'4" 55 lb 9 year old vaults after a 5'2" 110lb 15 year old she probably won't have as much height or distance.[4] If the technique is good could they score the same? [5]Also if the table height is lower it would be more difficult to get the same amplitude.

1. a judge can answer this question
2. no, the rules won't allow it.
3. this is true
4. yes. height from the block and distance is relative. you will need good technique for that to take place.
5. no. not true

1. a judge can answer this question
2. no, the rules won't allow it.
3. this is true
4. yes. height from the block and distance is relative. you will need good technique for that to take place.
5. no. not true

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought, except for #2 & #5. I guess vault is one of the areas in gymnastics where being smaller isn't a huge advantage ( at least while they are still doing handsprings). She does Tsuks and Yurchenkos in practice she tells me, so that should be fun to watch next year.

My 44 inch 40 pound level 5 got the highest vault score of her session this weekend at pretty big invitational... our coaches say if you do it right, size doesn't matter.

My 44 inch 40 pound level 5 got the highest vault score of her session this weekend at pretty big invitational... our coaches say if you do it right, size doesn't matter.

Congrats to your (little;)) daughter!

Actually that's what led to my question. My daughter usually won vault at level 5. At level 6/7 is when I noticed that she wasn't scoring/placing as well as she had done previously. Looking at the vault placings in (1st thru 3rd or 4th) from her age group from the previous few meets you could line them up by size with the placings. These are all girls who have competed together for the past two years and other than vault anyone could outscore the others on each event.

Of course now she'll probably grow a ton and vault great and struggle on bars.:D

Actually - in the JO Compulsory Book (purple binder) that has the routines in it, in the back it has lists of penalties/deductions for every event and level. For Level 5/6 vault, under "insufficient distance" (up to .3) it states: "consider size of gymnast, overall trajectory - where hands contact table and where feet land." So it seems like they are supposed to take the size into consideration.

they don't. ^^^ and this becomes a bigger problem at the optional level.

I had a 4' something, 5lb girl that would vault on a higher setting and with more springs in the board than another team's 5'4" 130lb girl and get better amplitude. It is possible for the smaller person to get more power relative to their weight. I do think it is usually a little more difficult to control it.

My 4 ft 50lb daughter vaults on the same setting as the other taller girls. She gets great power, but I agree that she probably has a more difficult time controlling it. She won states on vault this year, but we are only talking about level 5. I'm prepared for optionals to be a whole other ball game. :eek:

My DD is 4'8" 80 lbs, level 9. She vaults yurchenko layout at 125 and this season has won vault twice and placed top 3 at the other 2 meets, on average, scores higher than her taller/bigger teammates. When she was Level 5-7 (4 years) she was probably in the 4' to 4'4" range, 45-60 lbs pounds. It took until L7 for her to really learn how to use her power, after that her vaults have really "exploded". I actually made a montage of her vaults through the years and it was fun to watch her progression.

A lot of their score boils down to running speed and technique at the board and table. I think the difference in score can be attributed to size, but much of that in my mind is the individual child's mind set......many smaller kids see the table as a nearly impassable obstacle, and run a little slower (out of fear) than they're able. In that sense they are at a disadvantage, but it's kinda self-imposed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back