WAG Level 7 Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Has anyone heard that the level 7 vault may be changing? Wondering when the decision will be made if it is something they are thinking about doing.

I thought I read something about it going to a yurchenko timer, but not until 2018. I could be way off so please don't quote me on that!

Final details not in place yet, but it's a done deal. Will take affect in the 2017-18 season (so 2017 if your optionals start competing in Nov/Dec, 2018 if your optionals start competing in January, just to clarify). Will be some variation of a choice between a yurchenko/tsuk/front-handpring-front timer.

Ok what's the "front timer".

And how is that different if at all from just a yurchenko, suk or fhs

Ok what's the "front timer".

And how is that different if at all from just a yurchenko, suk or fhs
Fhs has front entry over vault and lands on feet on landing mat(well below vault height, dependent on vault setting). Front timer would front entry over vault and land on feet on a mat stack at or above the level of the vault.

Fhs has front entry over vault and lands on feet on landing mat(well below vault height, dependent on vault setting). Front timer would front entry over vault and land on feet on a mat stack at or above the level of the vault.

Sounds like the same vault setup that my dd had for Xcel silver, only much more difficult as you would have to land on your feet and not in a flat back.

Sounds like the same vault setup that my dd had for Xcel silver, only much more difficult as you would have to land on your feet and not in a flat back.
Exactly! It trains the gymnast to get the block necessary to eventually add the flip off the vault. USAG is hoping having the gymnasts compete timers at level 7 will force the coaches to get more of the training time in necessary to make the gymnasts safer and more successful when they eventually add the flip, rather than spending that practice time further perfecting the FHS to win level 7 competitions.

Dd trained timers for a good long time (at least a year) before actually flipping a yurchenko. The more timers your dd does, the more prepared she will be to actually successfully flip a vault. All of our girls that are training lv 8 are successfully flipping and landing yurchenkos already. It's because of the millions of timer they did over the last year AND our fantastic coaching staff!

Exactly! It trains the gymnast to get the block necessary to eventually add the flip off the vault. USAG is hoping having the gymnasts compete timers at level 7 will force the coaches to get more of the training time in necessary to make the gymnasts safer and more successful when they eventually add the flip, rather than spending that practice time further perfecting the FHS to win level 7 competitions.
This sounds like a great idea!!

Sadly, my daughter who is going to compete 7 hasn't even done a yurchenko drill bc they are spending all their vault time perfecting that handspring vault.
That is sad! Even my L4 has done timers. (I think for tsuks though?) Obviously that is not their main focus at all, but at least it keeps them interested and sets the stage. But I bet your DD's FHS vault is amazing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back