WAG Level 8 Vault Changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
Hi, I just saw that for the upcoming season level 8 vault scoring has changed considerably. Looks like if the gymnast chooses to do a second vault they don't take the best of the two scores as in other levels but the second vault score will be the only one that counts even if it is lower. There is also a larger spotting deduction in level 8 than the other levels (1.0 instead of .5).

Is this correct? Did I misread something?

Just wondering why they would single out level 8 this way. Is it a safety thing? Are too many girls attempting yurchenko or tsuk vaults that aren't ready and they are trying to discourage hucking an unsafe vault or competing one you need spotting on?

Do you think this will mean we will see more front handspring vaults?

Just a curious mind pondering, that is all :)

According to some guy (yeah, can't remember his name) who works for USAG at a clinic I attended, this rule change comes out of safety concerns. Level 8 is the first year that gymnasts flip vaults, and as any judge (or parent) would tell you, those first flipping vaults can be scary. The idea here is that if the gymnasts has a good first vault, the coaches will hopefully say, "good enough," and she will stop there before potentially doing a second vault that crashes to her face. On the other hand, if she crashes (or almost crashes) to her face on the first vault, and the coaches know her second vault score will count, then the idea is that coaches will play it safe and have her vault a front handspring. I think we will see more handsprings, especially when people take a second vault option.

Now, a lot of coaches and judges are not happy with this change, but that's the logic as it was explaind to me.

In the optional levels, a spot usually results in a 0 score, so they are actually lowering the spotting deduction for level 8. So making a spotting deduction 1.0 actually encourages coaches to step in and safe a kid's neck.

Thank you so much for for your response and the clarification on the spotting deduction. This makes sense. Can't imagine coaches are going to love it but glad they have the kids safety as their first concern. As I am watching my dd prepare for her first flipping vaults this upcoming season I agree it is so scary. I just close my eyes and hold my breath every time.

They also plan on doing it for all optional levels in the future.

From what I heard at the clinic, USAG may consider going to a 1 vault format in the future, like NCAA and elite. May. I think it's too early to say "they plan on it," unless you have inside information.

Thank you so much for for your response and the clarification on the spotting deduction. This makes sense. Can't imagine coaches are going to love it but glad they have the kids safety as their first concern. As I am watching my dd prepare for her first flipping vaults this upcoming season I agree it is so scary. I just close my eyes and hold my breath every time.
You, and the coaches, and the judges. Lots of breath holding on level 8 vault (and level 9 bars with the high to low bar transition).

This rule is terrible...one vault would be fine.

Wow, that is a big change. I have seen plenty of scary vaults and I understand the safety concerns, but it is not a great development for good vaulters. Any idea when it will apply to level 9 and 10? Is it coming this season?

Wow, that is a big change. I have seen plenty of scary vaults and I understand the safety concerns, but it is not a great development for good vaulters. Any idea when it will apply to level 9 and 10? Is it coming this season?
It's not coming this season. We don't know if it coming ever.

Are there any other changes to L8 this season, or is it just for vault? My DD is not quite at L8 yet, but a gymnast we carpool with thought there was something different this coming year with beam in addition to vault.
However, like usual, I truly have no idea and rely on the experts here.

My dd did level 8 last year. Pike Yurchenko...She's a pretty good vaulter. But I saw lots and lots of scary, scary vaults and kids crying at meets. I think this is a good thing.

Well you can do 2 vaults still so I would imagine a lot of people including myself will be doing the same, unless they hit that first vault. I really don't see this as a big change, except everybody is going to blame the coach if the kids trashes the second vault from here on out.... I see this rule creating nothing but problems in the parent/coach area...

I think the spotting one is great, saw many scary vaults at level 8 meets. Our coaches don't allow scary vaults at level 8. Any issue during warm up, not making it, etc, they warm in and compete a front handspring. Not worth the risk of injury.

My daughter (doing level 8 again) doesn't like the one vault thing. She says her 2nd one is usually better, but if you attempt a 2nd vault, even if you balk, your first vault score is gone. You could end up with a zero. I'm not understanding the reasoning behind not letting best of 2 like all the other levels.

From what I gather they are introducing it into L8 and it will apply to 9 and 10 in the coming years.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back