list of skills for level 5/6/7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

at the gym i coach at, some of the skills for these levels tend to run together for some reason, if that makes sense. so i get kind of confused about which skills are which level...aaanyway, i was wondering if some of you guys can make your own version of a list of level 5, 6, and 7 skills for each, or any event! thanks SO much! :)

I don't think there's a big "leap", except of course on vault. I mean, at some point you've got to go over the "big horse." Maybe a slower progression would be to compete a handspring over a mat that wasn't the real horse, like a table trainer or a sideways resi, or to use a mini-tramp instead of a real springboard.

I mean, on floor you're doing a FHS plus an extra BHS. Seems reasonable to me. The only really high jump for me is the back extension roll. I could do it by the time I competed L5, but it is a pretty hard skill and it's a killer in scores if you don't hit handstand. On beam, you basically just add a lot of dance and a cartwheel. On bars, you really only add kips and high bar. They've got to learn a kip at some point, ya know. I like the L5 bars. It's basically just drilling your kips and taps: good to get nice, strong basics.

That kip can slow some girls down BIG TIME! Even the squat on on bars can be tricky for some kids. The other apparatus I think are better in terms of progression.

I don't think there's a big "leap", except of course on vault.
Allow me to disagree on this. Since the requirements changed about 6 years ago, the L4 skills have been watered down by a ton. That in turn left a huge gap between L4 and L5. Just to add, vault is not the whole story...

On bars: 2 kips, squat on, jump to high bars, tap swings and so on. ...and no break during the routine

On beam: longer routine, split jump, cartwheel, turns, dismount hold, etc.

Floor: longer routine, back-extention roll, FHS, straddle jump, dive roll (this is not give-away for a little one), RO-HS-HS, etc.

The reason it came easier to you may be because you were older in age and you had probably been purposely uptrained with all the L5 skills the whole time. Due to strength and maturity, older kids tend to zip right through these levels.

NotAMom - That is exactly what I was thinking!!

I am still pretty new to the gymnastics world, but the progression between 5 and 6 seems more logical than 4 to 5.

The bars being the big challenge (is for my DD), but yes, beam longer, several more elements. And floor: adding 2nd BHS is challenging for a lot of gymmies.

Just my reaction to what I read...;)

Weird, when I was younger I found 5 and 6 to be a huuge leap. Tucks on floor, going backwards on beam, and a flyaway. Maybe it's because I was constantly getting mental blocks on these things. I don't know...

Weird, when I was younger I found 5 and 6 to be a huuge leap.
Yes, I agree with that too. L6 is a very tough level all the way around (e.g. skills, scoring, etc.) Although not ultra high in difficulty, it's where fun begins.

But, what I think LL was saying was that L5 to 6 is more of a logical progression where one skill leads to the next. Some of what L4 requires is never seen again once advanced. To me, the current L4 is almost an audition/screening to see if a gymnast got what it takes to move forward rather than being a core part of the progression.

My daughter's gym doesn't compete until Level 5 so it is interesting to read the perceptions of how big the jump is from level 4 to level 5. She is on pre-team now and started practicing front handsprings on the vaulting table last month - I noticed they did not spend much time on the level 4 vault (although some was done). I'm interested in seeing how long it takes her and the other girls to move to team as they only spend 6 hours a week training right now. Half of that time is conditioning which I think is great - but I do wish they had a little more time to actually practice skills.

She just turned 8. Most girls in her pre-team are 7-9, although there a couple 6 year olds and a couple 10 year olds. Our gym also has a junior pre-team which has girls 4-7 on it (although the 4 year olds are an exception). The hours jump to double or more once they move to team.

gymmutti, From what I have seen, age of 8 is considered the older end of the scale to be on pre-team and 6hr/week is pretty normal for this level. Most gyms tend to push the older kids through to get them to start competition. Much of that is due to their strength and maturity. Assuming that your daughter is moving along with her L5 skills, my guess is before long she will start competing therefore will be training more hours.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back