Parents Little brag about DD!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
Last weekend we had our gym's display day and prizegiving. My DD (7) got third prize in her class (level 1B). It was a surprise and she was thrilled! It was based on their top three competition scores (so I suppose I could have added it up myself if I'd thought about it, but I hadn't). There were 13 girls in her class, although only 11 competed and two of the 13 have since dropped out.

In their mock competition before their first real competition, she got 7th AA in her class and was quite disappointed. She messed up the vault in her first real competition but did okay on other events. For her second, third and fourth competitions she improved and did quite well. She got 6th equal AA in her third competition and her team got first, which was a big thrill for her.

The NZ system is now changing from levels to 'steps', it is a whole new system. I would say step 2 is only about half a level above level 1. Based on their assessments, the coaches have chosen to put some girls to step 3 and others to step 2. My DD has been put into step 3, which is exciting for her but will be very challenging. I think the back walkover may be the skill that she finds most difficult. She can do a standing back bend, but can't do bridge kickover from flat yet, only with her feet on a 6 inch mat. They also have to do a round-off, which she can do, although not very well yet.

Anyway, I am so proud of her! She is naturally well-coordinated, but struggles somewhat with strength and flexibility. She has a modest amount of natural talent, she has to work hard to keep up. She is a hard worker and very determined, but also she is very sensitive and gets frustrated easily. She tends to take it all very seriously and is quite a perfectionist with herself. She is quite competitive and loves to perform. I might post a video of one of her routines if I can figure out how to edit it!

Congrats, sounds like your dd is doing an amazing job. So happy for her that she gets to move up in steps/levels. Im sure she is excited to learn all the new things it has to offer. And congrats on the team AA.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back