long hang pullovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
i have a few girls that are just starting to work on these on the high bar. what are some drills to help them get over. we haven't really tried anything yet so i don't know anything about their pullovers....

Make sure they have a big swing so practice a lot of jumping to the high bar with high swings, extending the body, almost like 3/4 of a giant.
Spotting them on a low bar to show them where they should be folding over and hitting the bar, lots of kids want to hit at their hips and then they show a big pause so have them hit higher up than that. Hope that is helpful.

Hi

I recommend you start working baby giants, instead of just the long hang pullovers. Reason for that is that the pullover is a dead skill really, and teaches some bad habbits come time for the giants. SO that being said I recommend you check the ET Gymnastics YouTube Channel (Follow the link) there you will find some sweeeeet vids on how to coach the baby giant by Enrique Trabanino (Great coach in my opinion).

As a consequence to teach the baby giant your kids will AT WORST! learn how to do a long hang pullover. Best case they are a step towards doing a giant (properly) and also will do a the pullover in the routine well enough to not get deductions. SO its all good.

Thanks for the link Valentin...great video!

[video=youtube;ZFT-3-6Qnxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFT-3-6Qnxs[/video]

[video=youtube;O2nutIiwXVY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2nutIiwXVY[/video]

Make sure they have an excellent tap swing and then start working on tap to you slowly showing them the right possitions and the pull they need to get around the bar. A good drill for this is to set up a incline having them lay with their toes at the highest point and their hands at the bottom. (THis should be the ideal body possition in the tap swing, next with their finger facing inwards have them pull their toes over and push with their shoulders until they reach front support toes under. The most common mistake for this skill on young gymnast is their hps crashing to the bars, so make sure they reach a nich high swing and then pull their toes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back