WAG Lose a skill - Lose a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was just curious how other gyms have handled this.
My dd is a new level 7. On Wednesday, she crashed and burned when performing giants on the bars. She got up and burned in again. Coach put her on the pitbar to have her work up through her progression and she burned in again... TWICE! Coach made her stop.

Thursday's practice she had to start on the pitbar. She got the skill there, but was pretty shaky. Moved the regular bar and balked.

Now, there was a meet on Sunday. Coach said if she did not complete here bar routine she could not go to the meet. She just could not get past her fear. No meet. She held it together for practice, cried on the way home.

Now that being said, on Friday, he informed me that she could go and just not compete bars. Much rejoicing.

So my question is, "Would your gym have prevented your gymnast from going or would they have competed in just those events they were ready/cleared?"

Just to brag on my DD, she got a 9.6 on floor and a 9.625 on beam!!

As far as I know, they would just scratch the event they weren't ready for. That is what I've seen happen at L 5 & L6 meets so far. Not sure if they change this as the girls move up in levels, but it would seem to me that they would keep it consistent.

At our gym they would just scratch the event that was shaky, but compete all of the others. By the way, the floor and beam scores are awesome! Good luck!!

Same thing here with the caveat that scratches are generally on safety grounds. One of my DD's gym's L6s, for instance, competed bars last weekend but was not allowed to do the flyaway dismount.

I'm very glad your DD did so well on the other events -- my DD would kill for those scores!

Usually they will just scratch the event, if the meet is paid for, they are not going to get the money back the week before and that's silly if they can do the other events fine. Now if it was a fear issues where the child wouldn't do anything backwards and thus couldn't do floor, beam, then yeah, taking the pressure of the meet off and considering the lost meet fee a wash is generally something I would support.

Also not sure what you mean by crashed and burned on a giant. Did she swing up and just come off the bar the wrong way instead of swinging all the way around? This is not uncommon and if she keeps her arms straight and falls appropriately, it is not a huge deal. This is one thing I would consider doing a private for so she can do drills into the pit for falling and then generally gain confidence on the skill with one on one attention. If you think your coach would be productive in that situation.

Our gym would handle it one of two ways. As others have said, the most likely course of action would be to just scratch bars. No reason to scrap the whole meet. Meet experience is meet experience! Plus, with her other scores, I am sure she is helping her team in the team placings.

What our gym does--if a girl is only missing one skill from a routine (be it bars, floor, or beam), they will still have her compete on that event, but either with a spot or by substituting a lesser skill. For example, we have a L6 who doesn't have her back tuck. So instead of ROBHSBT, she just does 2 back handsprings. Big deduction, sure. There is no way she is going to place on floor. But still, she gets to do her routine. Then there is my dd--she still needs a very light spot on her layout flyaway on bars--another big deduction. But her scores on the other 3 events are so high that she still ends up placing in the Top 5 at meets. (Fingers crossed that she has it by this coming week-end! She is *so* close that she really could get it any day. In fact, my guess is that she DOES have it. They just haven't stopped spotting her yet.)

I was just curious how other gyms have handled this.
My dd is a new level 7. On Wednesday, she crashed and burned when performing giants on the bars. She got up and burned in again. Coach put her on the pitbar to have her work up through her progression and she burned in again... TWICE! Coach made her stop.

Thursday's practice she had to start on the pitbar. She got the skill there, but was pretty shaky. Moved the regular bar and balked.

Now, there was a meet on Sunday. Coach said if she did not complete here bar routine she could not go to the meet. She just could not get past her fear. No meet. She held it together for practice, cried on the way home.

Now that being said, on Friday, he informed me that she could go and just not compete bars. Much rejoicing.

So my question is, "Would your gym have prevented your gymnast from going or would they have competed in just those events they were ready/cleared?"

Just to brag on my DD, she got a 9.6 on floor and a 9.625 on beam!!

would have been scratched from the meet entirely. we are here to serve the athletes, not the parents. we develop all-arounders...not 1,2, or 3 event gymnasts. that is the job of the coach.

by the way, this is why they are having problems at the collegiate level that they have never dealt with before. everyone has gone soft. and i really would hate to expound on what all this means. i have touched on this before. and then parents start asking about the elite level and scholarships after their coaches have let them do less than 4 events to keep the parent paying and happy. it's a problem all over the country and it's wrong. that's all.

Our girls have to have all of their skills by X date before their season starts, to compete the level.

If they have a skill and "lose" it (happened to my DD last week) they may either scratch the meet, scratch the event, substitute a lesser skill. I really think it depends on the individual gymnast's situation.

Congrats to your DD on floor and beam!
last weekend, DD had to substitute last minute because bars warmup went very bad, coach was going to scratch her but didn't, she ended up with a 9.2 SV (level 9). Bars was a total crash and burn, but she did a new dismount on beam and scored a personal best for 2nd place and then a new, harder vault, 9.625 and first place, also a PB on floor and qualified for States. (sorry about hijacking your thread, lol).

Don't compete 4 events, don't compete at my daughter's gym (exception for level 10's with injuries). You lose a skill for too long and miss 2 meets and you drop back a level or scratch the season if your gymnast refuses to drop back. Tough love there ;)

At our gym they scratch that event & are threatened with a drop in level. Now that I think about it, it is always BARS that is scratched!!

At our gym you have to have all 4 events ready to compete in order to compete that level. If you have already been competing and lose a skill you will either scratch the meet or scratch the event in compulsories (depending on the situation- i.e. if you are coming back from injury, etc.) At optionals you might substitute skills, scratch the event or scratch the meet, again depending on the situation, the gymnast, where in the season we are, and what type of meet it is. It is up to the coach though.

I've seen it handled 3 different ways - (1) The girl will try the skill at warm up, and if it is still bad then, they will scratch. The girl normally ends up crying pretty badly when the decision to scratch is made though :(.
(2) Sometimes the scratch is automatic (like they won't even put their grips on)...very little tears tears this way :).
3. I've seen the girl miss the whole meet too - but this is very rare (like twice ever I saw this happen).

And yeah, it is *always* bars that is the issue in these cases...always :/.

Congrats on those amazing scores on beam and floor...hope she gets her giants consistent again in time for her next meet :)...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back