WAG Low scoring level 5 bars videos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This might sound crazy but I'm looking for some videos of the new level 5 bar routine that do not score very well. Due to a crazy mom and a long, drawn out, stressful move up decision I have a girl in my group who doesn't really have any of her level 5 skills. No flyaway, a clearhip that is still a back hip circle, casts at or below horizontal and a baby giant like a long hang pullover. Just trying to get a sense for what she might score. Thanks!

I bet you can find something on you tube??? Probably just have to do some digging!! Good luck with the CGM!

I have some of my DD!! How can I get it to you? Also one of her teammates had a full spot on the flyaway and scored a 7.250 but I dont have a video of it. It was at a little local meet. Same gymnast got the flyaway and scored a 9 at Arnold meet at level 6

I have some of my DD!! How can I get it to you? Also one of her teammates had a full spot on the flyaway and scored a 7.250 but I dont have a video of it. It was at a little local meet. Same gymnast got the flyaway and scored a 9 at Arnold meet at level 6
Thank you! And that's encouraging. I can't figure out how to send a PM. Maybe because I'm on my phone. But I could give you my email.

All I can find on YouTube so far are pretty decent ones, and they don't all show the score, but I'll keep looking.

I've got some too. Bars was tough last year for my DD at L5 (well, the whole team!) and I have a few videos uploaded on youtube.

I would just break down all the deductions and show them the book. They lowered down the deductions for spotting basically this year but overall if her skills are that weak it's not gonna be pretty especially if she's missing connections.

This might sound crazy but I'm looking for some videos of the new level 5 bar routine that do not score very well. Due to a crazy mom and a long, drawn out, stressful move up decision I have a girl in my group who doesn't really have any of her level 5 skills. No flyaway, a clearhip that is still a back hip circle, casts at or below horizontal and a baby giant like a long hang pullover. Just trying to get a sense for what she might score. Thanks!

that's no way to coach. as far as the move up and crazy mom? you make the bed that you will sleep in.

I don't plan on making a habit of coaching that way. The mom flew off the handle when we told her her daughter would be repeating 4. She threatened leaving and taking 3 others with her and my boss bought into it and moved her daughter up. Now I'm left to deal with it.

I've thought of it a number of times. There are other issues as well. But when it's good, it's so good. I love my co-workers and my girls and the opportunity to coach as I see fit and I just can't leave, at least for now.

Why not just train her to the best of your ability and then let her compete? I think once you've informed her that the routine is likely to garner low scores, you've fulfilled your responsibility. YOU certainly don't need to worry about the score. Crazy as it may seem, some parents care more about the concept of moving up and staying with a particular group of kids than they do about how their child is scoring at meets. As long as the child can compete safely, then the pushy parents just have to understand the tradeoff and recognize that the move up was against the coach's advice. Her score and how she and her parents feel about it is not your problem to solve.

I've thought of it a number of times. There are other issues as well. But when it's good, it's so good. I love my co-workers and my girls and the opportunity to coach as I see fit and I just can't leave, at least for now.
I feel for you. We have a girl going from 4 to 6 under similar circumstances. Good luck!

How about taking the opposite approach? In fact, it might be helpful to show all of the girls at this level what a good, connected level 5 bar routine with good form, big clear hips, and nice baby giant looks like. Some people are visually and seeing what they are striving for can help.

I don't plan on making a habit of coaching that way. The mom flew off the handle when we told her her daughter would be repeating 4. She threatened leaving and taking 3 others with her and my boss bought into it and moved her daughter up. Now I'm left to deal with it.

This exact thing happened to me before...owner moved up a child that was not ready because mom wigged out. The girl ended up quitting before the first meet, I think she realized she couldn't handle it. This was from old 4 to old 5 the gymnast wouldn't even jump to high bar(fear issue) and didn't have high or low bar kip. Also, I quit by the time the next meet season came around there were way to many kids moving up because it was what mom wanted!

The majority of the other girls in her group meet all the requirements for 5, and I expect them to do fairly well so she sees it every day at practice. I train them all the same, always to the best of my ability so of course she'll learn quickly at the first couple meets how she compares. I wasn't going to show her the videos. They were for me to know what to expect. We didn't have any new 5s last year.
Her mom has talked about how they don't care about getting on the podium and will talk to her daughter about setting her own goals. I agree with all that but her daughter only did mediocre last year (mostly 33-34s at new 4), and was crushed when she didn't get anything at many meets. So it's ok for her mom to talk like that but I don't think she's considering her daughters feelings. Anyway, we'll just hope for the best.

Wow. DD's coach/gym owner would have shown that mom the door!

I agree with the other posters who have said if she can safely do A bar routine at the meet--whether the skills are there or not--let her compete 5. We have some CGM's at DD's gym who say they don't care about scores, but then they go to a meet and see what the coach meant by a 'low' score and they decide it's best for their daughter to stay where she is at but repeat that level the next season.

If this is a gymnast who only did 'mediocre' at new L4, she will be killed at 5, especially on bars. DD has always done well on bars (mid-9s), but she had a teammate who scored mid to high 9s at new 4 and only scored high 8s at 5...It was quite a shock to her (and her parents!)...

I'm not a coach, but I would say based on the info in your OP, this kiddo is probably looking at 5s or 6s (depending on your state)....If I remember the L5 deductions correctly (and someone can correct me if I am mis-remembering), no flyaway is at least a .8 (if not more), no clear hip is also at least a .8 (if not more), no casts above horizontal would be .3 for each (since there are 2, that would be .6). And no baby giant, which is also in the realm of a .8 deduction. You haven't said what her amplitude looks like on her swings, but I'm guessing it's nonexistent, so that would also be .3 for EACH swing (and if you have judges like we do, it's .3 on the front and .3 on the back parts of the swing, so .6 for each swing!).

Soo...by my math, she's looking at a high of maybe mid-to-high 6s, if everything else is executed perfectly....Have you sat down with CGM and told her just how low the scores can go? I've seen girls get 1s on bars because they've not had any of the skills and the elements they did do were done so poorly they got very little credit for them...

Wow! I keep hoping that our HC wasn't wrong in moving my DD up to L4 with a mediocre kip (she's since gotten the low kip consistently, the long hang kip is 50/50). I can't imagine me forcing them to move her up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back