WAG LVL 4/LVL 5 Vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
DD is almost done with her first LVL 4 season. My DD and the rest of her team lag behind the rest of the field on vault scores. Scores ranges in the sevens and eights across the board. I think I have seen 1-2 9s this season across the team. The optional team seems to be vaulting in line with comparable gyms in our area.

DD is a bit discouraged as vault used to be a top event for her and her top score was a high 8! She says they rarely practice vault. Do some clubs just not focus on vaulting in these levels?

Our gym does not focus on vault either. I think they just feel that this vault has 3 years to mature and little ones will have a hard time regardless....
I don't necessarily agree, but I think the coaches would rather spend gym time perfecting the MANY other skills on other apparatus....

This vault does take time, and I think it's rare for a new L4 to be scoring in the 9s right from the start. If you're seeing lots of 7s though, from several of the girls, that to me is a little bit worrisome.

My experience is opposite, sort of. Last year was DDs first time competing the FHS vault and she was easily scoring 9.5+. However, for her team, that was an anomaly. Most of the girls on her team who were first time FHS vaulters scored high 8s with 1 other girl scoring a low 9. Perhaps it is age--DD was the youngest on her team at 9 (oldest girl was 12). For DD, though, vault was the 'standby' event--her gym is very full and sometimes vault would be the only apparatus open, so they got quite a bit of vault. Because they do this particular vault 3 years in a row, HC didn't move the girls to the actual vault table until summer--prior to that it was all drills (body position, flight drills, block-block drills, etc). DD was sick of them, but went to her first meet and scored a 9.4 on vault and grudgingly admitted to her coach that the drills have their place (even though she still hates them).

I agree that scoring 7s at the end of the first season would be a bit worrisome. None of DDs teammates scored in the 7s, even at the beginning of the season...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back