Managing the Membership of Sports Organization: The Legalities of Banning a Member

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are there any cases of a coach being wrongfully accused and their suspension lifted by USAG?
i.e. the accused went to court, it was deemed that the child/parent was blatently lying, the accused was found clearly not guilty, and thus USAG lifted their suspension and they can continue coaching?

Well...maybe no one has had to be removed from the banned list because USAG has been very careful and methodical in their evaluation process, only placing some one on the banned list after there has been overwhelming evidence produced showing that these individuals should be banned?

So... Just to make sure I understand correctly... Non Member clubs can still have athletes that are USAG athlete members and that participate in sanctioned events.

However... "Unaffiliated Athletes" must be registered by their parent/guardian and not by the club. And in sanctioned events, these teams of athletes can not win team awards and must not wear any clothing that refers to a gym or a coach that isn't a member club.

So... basically, they still can compete, but have to wear generic clothing and are not eligible for team awards, correct?

I think they had to leave a small loop hole open to allow individuals to compete in sanctioned events (so, for example, foreign athletes can still compete in invitationals and athletes and coaches who might be between clubs can still enter). But I think it is a good compromise and a way to get the message to parents who have their kids training at clubs that aren't member clubs because they won't abide by USAG Gymnastic's rule of not allowing banned members. Hopefully it says to them, "While we may allow your daughter to compete as an individual at a meet, we DO NOT WANT YOUR TEAM HERE." Maybe it will make some of these parents take a second look at their club, and hold them accountable.

I think they had to leave a small loop hole open to allow individuals to compete in sanctioned events (so, for example, foreign athletes can still compete in invitationals and athletes and coaches who might be between clubs can still enter). But I think it is a good compromise and a way to get the message to parents who have their kids training at clubs that aren't member clubs because they won't abide by USAG Gymnastic's rule of not allowing banned members. Hopefully it says to them, "While we may allow your daughter to compete as an individual at a meet, we DO NOT WANT YOUR TEAM HERE." Maybe it will make some of these parents take a second look at their club, and hold them accountable.

I agree that it will hopefully make people take a second look at their club if they are at a non member club. I just wanted to make sure that I was reading and understanding correctly. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back