WAG Mckayla Maroney/gymnastike

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastisism

Coach
Proud Parent
Some of you are probably aware of the situation surrounding Mckayla Maroney and some photographs (some of which are fake). Earlier gymnastike posted an article with links to view these photos (the links have now been removed) which can be accessed by young children. USAG among other organisations are disgusted with the actions of gymnastike and I advise others out there not to go on gymnastike to view this article or any other.

A number of celebrities had nude photos leaked, and Makayla was one of many. Somehow, the Apple icloud was hacked, and pictures from phones were able to be collected, and now made public.

I saw the article on Gymnastike, but not until the links to the photos had been removed. The comments section was abuzz with people furious that Gymnastike would dare report that Makayla Maroney was part of this photo scandal. Many people saying they were canceling their subscription over it.

Linking to the photos was obviously a terrible choice. I thought the article itself was fine, and it wasn't really critical of her, just stated that it happened. That said, I am glad that my DD didn't see the article. We don't follow Makayla because her instagram and public persona have drifted to to "celebrity" instead of "gymnast", and unlike some of her fellow "fierce five", she provides little in the way of inspiration or encouragement. This further reinforces my decision to stay off her insta and twitter.

Still, I feel very bad for her personally. She is young, and it seems that so many young people are engaging in this nude photo taking. Just a dumb thing to do.

Let's be completely clear here. The objection is that Gymnastike purposely and knowingly provided a live link to nude photographs of a young woman possibly taken when she was a minor and posted without her knowledge or consent. I think that is pretty much the end of the conversation and provides me, at least, with a place to focus all of my blame and condemnation.

Let's be completely clear here. The objection is that Gymnastike purposely and knowingly provided a live link to nude photographs of a young woman possibly taken when she was a minor and posted without her knowledge or consent. I think that is pretty much the end of the conversation and provides me, at least, with a place to focus all of my blame and condemnation.

Wow, I didn't know anything about this because I only watch the "workout insiders" through my subscription, but I'm extremely disturbed to learn about this. Did this just happen this weekend? I can't imagine why they would do that, it is not what the website is billed for at all. I can't imagine the old Gymnastike doing it either but now that we have Flocasts I guess things are different.

It was good to see that USA Gym has said they are disgusted with the actions of gymnastike and will reconsider allowing them to be part of the media and future events.

I have never been a fan of gymnastike. They seem to be out for the money and nothing else.

A number of celebrities had nude photos leaked, and Makayla was one of many. Somehow, the Apple icloud was hacked, and pictures from phones were able to be collected, and now made public.

Still, I feel very bad for her personally. She is young, and it seems that so many young people are engaging in this nude photo taking. Just a dumb thing to do.

I am reading the photos were fake? Sounds more believable to me that someone has photoshopped a load of pics and released them with a line about an iCloud hack.

ETA: done some googling- I think one or two celebs have confirmed genuine pics, everyone else claims fake. No evidence of a mass iCloud hack, apparently it's guessing/breaking passwords one at a time.

Protect our athletes. Cancelled my subscription this morning.

Now to prepare myself on how to answer the inevitable question tomorrow that will be asked from the many Maroney fans in our gym.

Dissapointed, SBG -

Did you have a yearly plan or month to month? I had just signed up again for yearly after a hiatus due to numerous issues (should have known better), was going to take my money to Gymneo English (which I highly recommend, much better for coaches) but Gymneo is much more expensive and the English site doesn't open for another couple months.

I assume I'll be out the money if I cancel now. That isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, I will probably cancel anyway, but just wondering what to expect. I don't have high expectations.

Gymdog; I have a yearly plan that is paid each month. I do not know how the termination of the subscription will be handled. I read that I initially agreed to a 12 month subscription and it has just continued to be "renewed" when the payment has been made each month. The legal obligations of subscription, in this case I am confident, can be dismissed as Gymnastike is NOT fulfilling its content promise. Like you I do not have high expectations and expect the process to be a bit rocky.

Gymneo - hmmm...have not heard of it. In fact perhaps we should start a thread about the availability of on-line resources/forums.

SBG -

http://en.gymneo.tv

Gymneo is an excellent site detailing technical preparation. I have seen a lot of drills on it I haven't seen in the US. It used to just be in French, but they are launching an English site. Every few weeks they've been changing the sample that is on that link, so I'd recommend singing up for their email updates because they've emailed when they put up a new sample.

It is different from Gymnastike. Basically they sell sort of in depth analyses of different skills. You can buy them individually, or buy 10, or buy unlimited. The videos are very good. I've seen the back handspring, and the kip, and saw drills and set ups I've never seen. I am jealous of the gymnova equipment and mats they have. I desperately want one of those covered bouncy pits.

SSB, I think you will really like it. Definitely check out their samples. If you like their page on Facebook, they also post samples there.

Whether the photos were fake or not -- shame on Gymnastike. period.

Fake or not it is totally unacceptable for a website that makes it's money from young gymnasts to post links to photos that were offered for sale on the dark web all week. Stolen and private.

Frankly gyms, gymnasts and college teams should be boycotting Gymnastike. I already thought they had dubious business practices. but this disgusts me.

I hope FIG and USAG revoke their ability to be on the floor, and in the press boxes, at future meets. I also hope that gyms close their doors to their cameras.

As a parent of teen daughters this crossed a line that should not be crossed.

Fake or not it is totally unacceptable for a website that makes it's money from young gymnasts to post links to photos that were offered for sale ont he dark web all week.

Frankly gyms, gymnasts and college teams should be boycotting Gymnastike. I already thought they had dubious business practices. but this disgusts me.

I hope FIG and USAG revoke their ability to be on the floor and in the press boxes at future meets. I also hope that gyms close their doors to their cameras.

As a parent of teen daughters this crossed a line that should not be crossed.
I totally agree. I never had any issue with Gymnastike, but this is reprehensible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back