Parents Meet results!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blackie6

Proud Parent
DD had a meet last week. It was originally scheduled for before Christmas but because of the snowstorm that hit NJ it was post-poned. It was re-scheduled for Dec 30th and a weeknight. That was OK for the kids who were off school, but for me that still had to work it was hard to rush home, get DD ready and get to the meet. She had a 5:30 start time which wasn't bad, the poor L4's had a 2:30 start so must have been harder for some parents to even get off work to get their kids there. We were excited though becasue it was a smaller meet and not the big gyms that we are usually up against. Plus, because some gyms backed out (some are off the week after Christmas) it had L5-L9 girls there. We got to see some great upper level gymnastics and sit in front of a very experienced and very funny father of a L9 whose DD was AMAZING and headed to College in Sept. So, it wasn't DD's best meet but not the worst either...being small, there were only 9 girl in her age group (7/8) level 5.

First up beam. Really hard to see. We had the floor in front of us and everything else was way in the back. I like this set-up though becasue it means less distraction for my DD. Usually one of her better events this year, but almost fell off doing the pose! Something so simple yet when she went to put her foot to the side she almost missed the beam and fell off...watching the video I am still not sure how she stayed on, but then she sort of posed TWICE because she started the pose, slipped and then re-posed as she became more stable on the beam. Ended up with an 8.6

Floor. Well, floor is a work in progress for my DD, she can't get that one leap with her foot in front of her. When she does it, her leg is bent and she gets no hight. Her split, kicks and jumps other than that oen thing are looking like they are improving some but this floor routine only gets a 8.1

Vault. Has been improving a lot in practice she says, but warmng up didn't look any better to me than in the past. Still doesn't run and still scared to go over. It didn't help owners DD was at judges table taking pictures or video taping all the girls, she totally landed on her butt second try. 1st was the keeper but only a 7.9 (ouch, we are going backwards on this event!)

Bars, always the favorite, she just loves bars and wanted a 9 on this for herself this season. She has only one more meet and then States so we'll see. Good routine, 2nd highest for team, with highest going to the 2nd yr 5, so pretty happy with 8.6

Small group so even awards only went out to 4 spots on individual events.

Beam 8.6 (3rd place)
Bars 8.6 (2nd place)
Vault 7.9 no place
Floor 8.1 no place

AA 33.20 5th place

We are happy with how she is doing this year especially with the big gym change, we are fine with her staying in 5 again, we know she is not super talented and not going to get 35's and 36's her first year. She is happy with doing L5 and has managed to place at almost every meet on something, even with some bigger gyms, so her spirits are up and she is not frustrated. She has a good attitude win or lose!

Very nice placments, L5 is such a big step up from L4 that she should be very proud. Her bars must be so lovely and she will get that 9, I can feel it!

I cannot imagine a meet right now, we close for 3 weeks at xmas and going back around the 7th is always a challenge.

Thanks Bog, I just posted her bars on you-tube actually. Let me see if I can get the link over to here. She still needs some work on them with the straight legs, pointed toes and getting to the squat on and to the high bar quicker, but I thing doing the add'l year of L5 should help with improving the form. She loves the bars though and really wants that 9, LOL

YouTube - oobie1998's Channel

She did great!! I think that with just a little polish on bars, she will get that 9, they were really nice!! She is very solid on beam, too, nice save!! On floor I was like, she missed the ending of another routine ?? until I read the description. Nice floor routine as well!! I think she is doing really well this season. Vault is tough. I think some gyms must really work hard on the run and power and timing because some little tiny girls can just fly over that vault and then you see so many girls have troubles. They do the same vault for a few levels, so that must be why. Takes time. I am sure Abby is going to have trouble with the vault as it doesn't seem to translate from L4 to L5 as far as I can tell.

Nice job on bars! She'll get that 9 soon, I think! When does her season end?

Just something funny, I wanted to post real quick:
When I was watching the bars' video it looked like a 3 level bar with a low, medium and high bar, haha! I was thinking 'what kind of UBs are these?" until she went of course and then you can see it's an optical illusion! lol!!

I'm such a dork :p

...now off to see the others!

Wow, never heard of having to re-schedule the entire meet before. Glad that it worked out for you and that she was able to make it, and you didn't have to miss it due to working. I'm sure it was very difficult for teams that were traveling from farther away.

Sounds like she did well, congrats!!

Great job!!!

That looked awesome! :) I can't wait for dd to see it. She know what level 4 looks like. She has never seen the level 5!!!

Just something funny, I wanted to post real quick:
When I was watching the bars' video it looked like a 3 level bar with a low, medium and high bar, haha! I was thinking 'what kind of UBs are these?!

HAHA! I thought the same thing!

Great job, she is doing very well. I like her beam. even with the 'slip'. She looks confident.

Sounds like a great meet to me with some nice placments! Her bars are going to rock in no time, I bet...she'll be scoring first places soon! (my DD is also a bars girl!).

Many of our first year L5's (and these girls are alot older than your DD) are scoring very similar to your DD...such a huge difference between L4 and L5...I know my DD is going to have a huge shock come March when she starts training L5.

Anyway...great job! Can't wait to see that first 9 on bars!!

Great meet report Blackie, she sounds like she is doing well. Good job on her placements too! States is coming up soon, huh?

We were at your old gym's meet this past weekend, I'll be sending a meet report soon.

Granny,

I was just looking to see if results were posted yet. Would have liked to have gone to see some old friends, but still feeling a little "raw" about how we had to leave. I see they got a bunch of upper level girls (L8 and L9) from Paramount though.

How did you like the venue this year? It must have been very emotional too because the meet originated because of owners sister having breast cancer & raising money for cancer awareness and research. She passed away VERY recently and so I'm sure everyone was still sad. Wish new gym would compete it but I am not thinking they love each other too much being in such close proximity to each other. Hope they did well though...and your daughter too! Can't wait for the meet report!

Oh, so that's where all the Paramount girl went. I knew many left, but had no idea where they went to.

I liked the venue much better this year. At the hotel, it was too crammed for us spectators and the competition floor was scary, especially where the bars were - I thought they'd hit their feet on giants. Not this yr, much more spread out.

It was very emotional because of the situation regards the owner's sister, but at the same time upbeat because she wanted this meet to happen.

I thought that scoring on floor was low, but low for everyone so at least it was consistent. Dd did have a great meet, but wasn't sure how it was going to go at first because she started on floor and with the low scoring I thought she might end up having this meet be one of her worst for the season - it was a pretty bad one for her last yr too.

I see the 5s have a sectional this coming weekend. I know you won't be where our 5s are, but if your dd is attending, I wish her luck! ;)

Granny,

I was just looking to see if results were posted yet. Would have liked to have gone to see some old friends, but still feeling a little "raw" about how we had to leave. I see they got a bunch of upper level girls (L8 and L9) from Paramount though.

How did you like the venue this year? It must have been very emotional too because the meet originated because of owners sister having breast cancer & raising money for cancer awareness and research. She passed away VERY recently and so I'm sure everyone was still sad. Wish new gym would compete it but I am not thinking they love each other too much being in such close proximity to each other. Hope they did well though...and your daughter too! Can't wait for the meet report!

I'm glad to see she's doing so well this year. And when did she get so tall?? ;) She looks great out there! Good luck at states!

she did great and that 9.0 is right around the corner on bars... Just a few form touch ups and what I found is judges love good tap swings...Tell her to swing as big as she can and cast to the sky as well. They love big swings and big casts in level 5 and connecting too:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back