WAG Meet scores shared?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

x98peterson

Proud Parent
We have had 2 meets a month ago and the meet scores were not posted online anywhere. I contact the meet gym for them but they told me they were sent to our gym. But our gym chose not to share them with us. We got our daughter's scores but I wanted to see what our team scored and how many girls were in each comp group etc. so, my questions are, does your gym share this info and do you think I should ask for the scores.? I don't want to be "that" mom..........thx.

I actually keep track of the team's scores at every meet ... all levels and all sessions. I do this for the team website (private site where I publish results and the highlights (personal best scores... 1st - 3rd place events and aa... 9.0 club... Nationals qualifiers, etc.). If the meet has a program - and it actually has the athletes and their age groups listed, I either buy one or borrow one so I know how many are in each age group.

I think it would be ok to ask to see the results... but, depending on the gym, they may say no. Good Luck.

It's interesting that they just won't let you see the results.

We are still relatively new (this is DD's 3rd year competing) but I've never heard of that happening.

We have had 2 meets a month ago and the meet scores were not posted online anywhere. I contact the meet gym for them but they told me they were sent to our gym. But our gym chose not to share them with us. We got our daughter's scores but I wanted to see what our team scored and how many girls were in each comp group etc. so, my questions are, does your gym share this info and do you think I should ask for the scores.? I don't want to be "that" mom..........thx.

I don't think an email to the office/coach asking about the scores makes you "that" mom. But contacting the host gym to ask for them would be a big no-no.

Some meets post them online but a few don't. For both DS and DD, the gym will post AA scores and highlights from meets (medals out to about 40% for girls and medals down to 5th place for boys, and 9+ scores for girls) on big sheets of paper, but they don't share the session results. On the boys' side, the coaches will sometimes go over them with the boys and talk a lot about sticking. :eek:

I track scores from the team in the sessions in which my offspring are competing. Even with lots of people doing it and comparing notes, we find that just keeping track of our own team is enough!

We do not get meet scores unless it is a big meet and the results are online. Honestly, as long as you know how your daughter did does the rest really matter?

You can ask. Some times us coaches have the results. :)

We do not get meet scores unless it is a big meet and the results are online. Honestly, as long as you know how your daughter did does the rest really matter?
I'm not the OP, but it does matter a bit to me. Scores alone don't tell the whole picture since scoring can vary so much from meet to meet. Seeing the range of scores and ages, etc. gives more perspective, IMO.

Asking the coaches seems to be ok but from what I heard contacting the meet gym as a parent is a big no no.

I send the full meet results to each attending gym within 24 hours of the completion of the meet. What the clubs do with them is up to them. I also send them to our state website. I never return emails or calls from parents; parents should always cotact thier own coaches and never beyond that. If there is a question for the meet director, it must come from the coach; I don't respond to parents.

I've never received results from our gym, but a link to them has always been posted on our state website. A couple of times it took a while to get the link posted, though, and our gym was reluctant to give out the info even though they had it.

Our gym doesn't disseminate results, but I've always been able to find them online at one site or another. I do keep track of our team at the meet.

Scores don't reflect the small accomplishments that lead to future results. A kid can have a great meet but still score lower than previous meets.

If that's hard to understand and you're confused..... imagine the challenge of understanding all the inconsistency in scores from week to week.

I've also always been able to find them online. I like to print the results of DD's session and keep them for posterity. I highlight her name and then write a little bit about our trip on the back, not the gymnastics but the "fun" stuff. :) Then they go into a sheet protector and into a binder.

We might see some of her competitors on National or Olympic teams in the future so it might be neat to be able to say she competed against a (future) Olympian!

we can buy a score sheet (for 20p (32c)) after each meet. The sheet will cover one age group. You can buy multiple sheets if you have interest in other age groups.

We might see some of her competitors on National or Olympic teams in the future so it might be neat to be able to say she competed against a (future) Olympian!

I met a girl at Woodward who had competed against Shawn Johnson as a level 6. Shawn beat her on vault, bars, floor, and all around but this girl was able to say that she had beaten Shawn Johnson on beam! That's especially cool since Shawn was the 2008 olympic champion on beam!

I've also always been able to find them online. I like to print the results of DD's session and keep them for posterity. I highlight her name and then write a little bit about our trip on the back, not the gymnastics but the "fun" stuff. :) Then they go into a sheet protector and into a binder.

We might see some of her competitors on National or Olympic teams in the future sok it might be neat to be able to say she competed against a (future) Olympian!

What a great idea! I'm going to start doing that too!

What cbifoja said is exactly why the meet scores are important to us parents. I don't expect my girls to go NCAA or even elite. I just want them to have this experience and the lifelong memories. The scores from the meets they attended (not just THEIR scores) are part of this experience and memories.

@MeetDirector - why just not to post the meet scores online for everyone to see? We (parents) pay the meet fees to the host gym and I would consider it a common courtesy to let us see the scores - as I mentioned above, they are important to us. If it is up to our gym to share them with us (or not), it would also be an extra work for our office manager (we are small gym and honestly, our wonderful office lady already has her hands full). And it is the host gym the meet fees paid by us go to, not OUR gym.

We were lucky so far - out of 6 meet we attended last season, four of them were posted at Mymeetscores, two of them were not, but the host gym posted the scores and results on their website within a week. And we're going back to these meets this season.

Firefly and Ginger,

Great story about your daughter once whipping the Olympic Beam Champion! Make me smile. I agree any participant (or family member thereof) in a meet should be able to access scores. With the entry fees that are charged nowadays they can certainly afford to post scores online - but they need to do a better job of making this info easily accessible! A meet program with a page indicating how to view/download results seems to me to be a no-brainer. Come on meet directors - get your act together.

I competed in gymnastics some thirty-five years ago now. BUT - my mom kept all of my meet programs, results and newspaper clippings... After she passed a few years ago I dug through the stuff and was simply amazed. I found the meets results from my first national meet... YMCA Nationals in News Orleans, Louisiana in 1969. This was the first year I competed at age 15 and I was really raw - and unskilled. I cringed at my scores... On the 10.0 scale I scored 1.9 on my FX optional. Then I laughed when I saw that an NCAA champ (who won FX at NCAAs my senior year in college) scored 1.8. I also recognized names of some gymnastics greats (and friends I made later during JO and college competition without knowing we were in those meets together) that were unknowns back at that time. Reflections back over those pieces were extraordinarily pleasing. These things are really treasures - LONG after the events.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back