WAG Meet two done, now what?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

x98peterson

Proud Parent
Last week was the first week my daughter had stepped foot into a gymnastics competition, had not even watched one in person. She got 5th all around out of 15 girls. This week she got a 35.8 AA score and got 2nd All around (9.25 floor, 9.35 Vault,9.0 bars and 8.2 beam no fall). Level 3

We only have 3 more meets at our gym. Level 4 competes in Jan to May. She has her cartwheel on beam 30% of the time. She has her roundoff BH BT. She is self training on layouts and fulls at home. She just turned 8. The problem is she does not have her kip but is soooo close! She can jump to high bar and has no fear and is emotionally mature and is on cloud nine. She also does All Star cheer so I have never been pushy with the coaches.......until now?

So, I do not want to be a pushy parent but...... Is it too much to ask the coach to have her up train with the level 4 team so she can compete 4 in early 2014? The owner did hint that that was the plan for "some" of the level 3 girls at a gym meeting..... Or do I let her bask in the glory of level 3 for a bit and risk boredom? :(. with the whole level changes she was one of those kids that kinda got lost in the shuffle at the gym IMO......

I don't know if you want her jumping right to competing 4 in the spring. Training yes, but maybe not competing?? She has to be able to get over the vault table and do that well, and it's not just the kip on bars. Our gym wants them to have nice clear hip circles and be able to cast nicely to horizontal on bars. She sounds kinda similar to my daughter age and skill wise. They also told us to be very careful about any twisting skills now like fulls. Something about how learning to twist incorrectly is difficult to fix?? Anyways, it sounds your daughter is off to a great season!! :)

Something else to add to address the boredom aspect. In L3, it's not uncommon for girls to be winning with 37s and sometimes not even winning WITH a 37. Depending on the size of the meet high 35s might only get you barely in the top 5. Hopefully her coach is having her work L4 skills anyway so she can keep improving her score at L3 and work on fixing her beam issues as well as uptraining for next season.

Don't rush it. She is so new to the competition arena. Trust her coaches. When I feel myself get crazy I remember this famous quote, "It's a marathon not a sprint" and Repeat. ;)

Something else to add to address the boredom aspect. In L3, it's not uncommon for girls to be winning with 37s and sometimes not even winning WITH a 37. Depending on the size of the meet high 35s might only get you barely in the top 5. Hopefully her coach is having her work L4 skills anyway so she can keep improving her score at L3 and work on fixing her beam issues as well as uptraining for next season.
This is true around here. If she's making high 35s at level 3 (which I think is great for a 7 yr old competing for the first time!!), they are tougher on certain details at 4 and she may struggle to place well. So I've been told!

Awesome thx everyone! :). I need to just take some xanax and enjoy the moment, something I am not good at. Funny thing is I asked her this morning if she would want to move up in January and she says, "mom I have only had two meets!" Lol. She said lots of girls have had their high and low bar kip for a while that are in her level. She seems more level headed than I am.... Kids can be so more intuitive than adults! Love it!

I wonder if they r working on them in cheer with her? I think i need to get rid of our tramp at home. :(. I will tell her to stop! :). I just noticed it a few weeks ago.

Being new to gymnastics and noticing your daughter may be progressing quicker than her counterparts or scoring better and doing skills that impress you, it is hard to put the brakes on. As a parent, we'd like to help our children soar. As an inexperienced observer/parent, we also don't know whether to put on the breaks or step on the gas. My experience dictates that your efforts will be better served finding or being in the "right"gym. Do you trust the coaches? Are they good experienced coaches? Can they help your daughter reach their goals. My daughter will be competing Level 10 this season. She just turned 13 years old. We do not have the luxury of being in a really good gym. It is so exhausting to keep worrying about her training. I just wish we had more choices of gyms and/or that my daughter is still young enough to easily switch gyms. Unfortunately, we don't and she is not. But for you, ease your worrying by being at the "right" gym.

Being repetitive here, self training fulls is so dangerous. One of our L9 had a career ending injury landing out of a full and a half whilst still twisting.

Being new to gymnastics and noticing your daughter may be progressing quicker than her counterparts or scoring better and doing skills that impress you, it is hard to put the brakes on. As a parent, we'd like to help our children soar. As an inexperienced observer/parent, we also don't know whether to put on the breaks or step on the gas. My experience dictates that your efforts will be better served finding or being in the "right"gym. Do you trust the coaches? Are they good experienced coaches? Can they help your daughter reach their goals. My daughter will be competing Level 10 this season. She just turned 13 years old. We do not have the luxury of being in a really good gym. It is so exhausting to keep worrying about her training. I just wish we had more choices of gyms and/or that my daughter is still young enough to easily switch gyms. Unfortunately, we don't and she is not. But for you, ease your worrying by being at the "right" gym.

Being repetitive here, self training fulls is so dangerous. One of our L9 had a career ending injury landing out of a full and a half whilst still twisting.

This gym is 4 miles from our house and she bussed to the gym from school four days a week, that is so hard to not love! I am not experienced enough to know which gym is the right one but things are going well so I will let it ride but I am sure some would say if you just let it ride then where does that get ya?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back