Off Topic Middle School YIKES !!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
Alex is starting middle school on Monday and I think I am the one freaking out most!! I have no idea how we are going to fit in all the things this kid wants to do!! She has already joined the cheer (spirit team) and wants to also join the after school choir, continue Girl Scouts, and be in the drama club. All this on top of her already busy gym schedule! Luckily none of the activities she wants to do conflict with her gym schedule but I am worried about her finding time to do homework as well as have a little down time also. How do others do it? I wish she had time in the car to do homework but we live literally 10 min from the gym (and thats on a busy traffic day).

Sorry, just venting a little as tomorrow is the day it all begins!!!

BTW...in middle school all the girls really like decorating thier lockers. Here is a pic of how Alex decorated hers!!

Attachments

• DSC08104-6.jpg
    DSC08104-6.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 549
Ahhh...yes--the middle school years!! My dd is going into the 7th grade this year so we went through all this last year :). I think it is important to let the kids at least try different things and if the schedule gets too busy, then that is when you start prioritizing the interests and start cutting things out. But letting them try things is good because you never know what they will end up liking and having a real passion and talent for. My dd did a musical theatre camp this summer (performed Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) and absolutely LOVED it! She actually has a natural affinity to the stage and acting and she never would have discovered theatre had it not been for this camp.

Once her 6th grade schedule is set and she has a regular routine of homework, you will quickly figure out how much time is needed for that. She will tell you what she is and isn't interested in and often times things they have done for years (gymnastics) gets pushed to the back burner because they want to try these other things (and often find them more fun or interesting). It is all a part of growing up and interests will change. It can be easy to get caught up and over-whelmed by it all, but eventually it will all come out balanced in the end. The middle school years is a great time to let kids explore other options and interests and to let them have a little freedom to make their own choices and mistakes as well. I think it is harder on us parents to sit back and watch our little girls growing up because we want to keep them "our little girls" just a little bit longer.

Hang in there!!! She will love middle school and all it has to offer!

That's a really cool locker! She got to decorate her locker before the first day?

I don't have a middle schooler so I can't comment but I hope she has a great year!

That's a really cool locker! She got to decorate her locker before the first day?

I don't have a middle schooler so I can't comment but I hope she has a great year!

Yes they had a day dedicated to it. They could walk their schedule and set up their lockers! Some girls even have a chandelier in their locker!! There is a website dedicated to locker decorations. it is www.lockerlookz.com . We did our own thing for the most part but some items came from that company!

Wow! The locker looks great! My daughter goes to a K-8 school (and is going into 7th) so while they call 7/8 middle school, it's not that different (though they do have lockers!) I'm happy that it's less of a transition when the hormones are already starting to gear up!!

As for activities, I'd let her try what she wants if they don't conflict and let her see how she can manage.

My daughter is very aware of what she likes and what she can manage so while she enjoys drama, she knew last year she didn't want to commit to the play because she didn't want to worry about HW, practice at the play, practice at gymnastics and getting to sleep on time!

She looks for smaller, less time consuming activities (for example, her school does a fall and spring track meet, which only involves 2 or 3 practices, the rest being 'on your own' training!)

She starts a new language this year (Mandarin), having had Spanish since Kindergarten, and she already recognizes this will be a big time consumer!

bottom line, let your daughter try some things and help her figure out what is working and what's not.

Good Luck!

My daughter is starting Middle School too. She loves your daughter's locker, especially the "cushy thing" on the bottom. How cool that they get a day before school starts to decorate their lockers. I wish my daughter was able to take advantage of other opportunities in middle school, but between 18hrs at gym and homework, I don't know how to fit anything else in. I do make sure to encourage at least one "nongym" friendship, and she is active with the youth group at church. I love that she has found something to be so passionate about, i just wish sometimes it wasn't quite so time consuming. I am not looking forward to the fall adjustment period with school starting. Honestly, some days it feels like my only interaction with her is to rush her to get ready, get her homework done, eat, take a shower....if it wasn't for the car ride, it would seem like no quality time at all.

my DD starts middle school on the 25th. I have really enjoyed her summer of morning practice & no homework. wish I could say I was looking foarward to back to school

Yay for your DD! Good luck to her in middle school. It's rough. I was so lucky to be doing L 10 through middle school, it kept me out of trouble! (I had a bad habit at a young age of being boy crazy and gym kept me plenty business) At my school we had to share lockers. My locker mate always got so mad because I decorated the crap out of it, pictures of gymnasts, cute boys from magazines, zebra and hot pink fabric, the whole nine yards. I love your DD's locker!!! It rocks.

A locker with shag carpet! How cool is that?

My girls are starting at a charter school this year that goes 5th-8th grade, so I guess they're starting middle school too, even though they're not quite middle-school-aged yet. It is a great school that I have taught music at in the past, but it did hit me a few days ago, my kids are going to be in classes with 8th graders in just a few weeks! 8th graders are BIG! The physical changes that go on between 5th and 8th grade are just so huge. The girls have some friends who are starting to develop, but T&K are still so little, still playing with their stuffed animals and littlest petshop. What am I thinking sending them to a school with 8th graders??? (moment of mommy panic...)

K is still deciding whether she wants to try a new and more "serious" gym this year too. So many changes! It's going to be a wild year, for sure.

Good luck to Alex as she starts middle school. I'd say a locker with hot pink shag carpet is a teriffic start!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back