WAG Minimum Age for new Level 4?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CameraShy

Proud Parent
I'm new to this forum and excited to have a place where I can go for answers to my many questions. :) I have a DD who turned 6 in April this year. She competed old level 3 this last year. Her coach mentioned back in May that they wish they could move her up but the age cut off is 7 years for the new level 4. However, this summer she has begun learning the new level 4 floor routine (very confusing) and when I looked up the age (:: USA Gymnastics :: Junior Olympic Program Overview ::) it says they only need to be 6 for level 4. Is this the new level 4 they are referring to?

Thanks!

Thank you fuzi. I wasn't sure since I didn't see a date on that link. I guess my next step will be to ask her coach why she's learning new level 4 if she can't compete! We don't have any level 3s at our current gym so I'm not sure what they'll do with her.

She could compete new level 4 from her 7th birthday in April though. Maybe that is what they are thinking.

Isn't their age the age they will be on the day of the state meet? If she turns 7yo before the state meet she could be considered a 7yo even though most of the season she is 6yo.

Isn't their age the age they will be on the day of the state meet? If she turns 7yo before the state meet she could be considered a 7yo even though most of the season she is 6yo.

Nope, for the girl's JO program, it is based on their age on the day of competition.

GymBee97 - I read that somewhere in this forum, but it never seemed to be proven true or false so I wasn't sure what to believe. That would work out great for my DD's situation if it were true though.

If it were your DD, would you rather them learn new level 4 but miss almost the whole season of competition or would you say that learning new level 3 and competing all season would be more beneficial? Skill- wise she is definitely at the level of the new 4. I'm not sure if there are pros and cons to either option since I've never been a gymnast and am new to this world.

First trust the coaches. If they want her to train for 4 and compete when she can then do that. If I had a choice I would have her train for four work on her routines and up training when she can. I would also take her to a meet (or a few) dressed in her team warm up. See if she could be on the sidelines with her teammates so she can get a feeling for what happens and how they are run. When she is able to participate she will do great.

GymBee97 and Fuzi are BOTH correct. I asked about age minimums when my DD was starting out since she has always been on the young side. A gymnast's age is determined by by last day of your State Meet (at this level, Regional and National at higher levels). However, you must meet the minimum requirements in order to compete (in this case 7 years old). Your coaches may plan to have her compete a score out meet when she is old enough if your season is still going on or maybe just save her from having to repeat competing 2 seasons of level 4 (seems to be a big repeat level in a lot of gyms). Only a discussion with your DD's coaches will really answer what the plans are. Best of luck!

Thank you, Clover. That makes sense on the age rules. We have a parent meeting scheduled this week, so I will be sure to get all my questions answered there on what DD's coaches have planned for her. :)

I spoke with my daughter's coach today. There has just been a transition and the HC has changed to one of the assistant coaches. So, the new HC told me today when I asked about my daughter's age the she is fine to compete new level 4 if she is 7 by the State Meet (which is May 2014 and my daughter turns 7 in April 2014). I didn't want to question her too much, and she said she was certain of the rule. However, she's new (as of days ago) and I'm afraid that she isn't aware of it being different for the minimum age. What would happen if my daughter shows up to a meet to compete new level 4 as a 6 year old? Do they check birth dates? Will she be disqualified? Any advice on how to encourage the new HC to double check that rule without stepping on toes?

Meghan -

If the meet director is doing his/her job correctly (including checking birth dates of all entrants), they will have to deny her from entering the meet until she reaches the minimum age. While the coach is correct for the state meet, the coach has overlooked the minimum age for competition rule. Now, if the meet director doesn't catch this and she does compete, it would be a sanction violation if reported and there could be a monetary fine imposed by USAG.

Good Luck

I have seen both in my short time as a gym mom/spectator. A gym disqualifying scores once birth date was ascertained and medals being taken off a kid. I have also seen kids being forced to compete one level down at a meet. This was at a L4 meet- the child had to do L3 routines during the L4 session b/c the meet director discovered she was not yet the age to compete. Bottom line-- a child has to have TURNED 7 to compete new Level 4! Just turning 7 sometime before states but competing as a 6 year old will get her gym in trouble.

MeetDirector - Is there somewhere online I can refer the HC to that explains the minimum not meaning the age by State?

GymGirl - that's what I was afraid of. I don't want my daughter to get put in an uncomfortable position and be disappointed or upset because of something out of her control.

Thank you, fuzi! Just what I needed. I'll forward that link on to the HC. I really don't want them to get in trouble either for not understanding the minimum age rule.

Thank you, fuzi! Just what I needed. I'll forward that link on to the HC. I really don't want them to get in trouble either for not understanding the minimum age rule.

You're welcome. I hope you and your daughter have a successful season whenever she competes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back