WAG Mock meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
Do they typically give scores at mock meets? Or do the coaches just give the kids feedback on their performance? I'm sure it varies, but we aren't sure what to expect. Thanks!

Do they typically give scores at mock meets? Or do the coaches just give the kids feedback on their performance? I'm sure it varies, but we aren't sure what to expect. Thanks!
Depends on the purpose of the mock meet. If it's a beginning of the year mock meet with new girls who have never competed I've seen both scored and non-scored. If it's a few weeks before state, it's usually scored with the judges taking every possible deduction and telling the girls what they are for.

Ah, so it sounds like scores are often given. I think that would be a good thing so the kids can have an idea of where they stand. Thanks!

In compulsories, ours were given cards that had a score range and comments. Mine enjoyed getting the judge gifts more though. :p

DD's gym generally has one about 3 weeks before the first meet, where scores are flashed and comments are given, but it's only for the compulsories. I guess they figure that by the time you're L7, you should have a pretty good idea of where you stand.

Ours is generally about one month before the start of our meet season. In the past, the judges have written scores down on cards with pointers and comments and they're given to the parents after the meet. I don't always feel it's a true assessment of performance though. My DD scored way higher at the mock meet on all events than she did during the meet season (and it wasn't a change in performance because she actually improved more). Even still, it's a good way to kick off meet season.

In compulsories, ours were given cards that had a score range and comments.

My dd had her first mock meet last month and this is what they did too. No actual scores, just a score range and comments about major deductions, form tips and usually a few encouraging comments.

Haha, our girls generally tended to score a lot lower at the mock meet than at the first meet! Some of it was that the mock meet lit a fire under some butts, I'm sure, but I always had the impression that the judges were instructed to be conservative with scores.

Haha, our girls generally tended to score a lot lower at the mock meet than at the first meet! Some of it was that the mock meet lit a fire under some butts, I'm sure, but I always had the impression that the judges were instructed to be conservative with scores.
They were instructed just that way! So, going into our first meet was a tough one! Granted, it could've been jitters but it took until the last 2 meets to get her scores back to where they were at the mock meet, so I don't think they were being conservative. Lol. Of course, her scores at the mock meet blew me away, so I should have known they were on the high side.

Our Mock meet has real judges and it is a sanctioned meet with scores that count. They do not score high at all. DD's teammate who ended the season as level 3 state champ scored a 6.9 on floor.

DD did a mock meet before her first ever competition, and one after the end of the season. It was scored by judges, but scores weren't flashed. They received score cards at the end with comments on them for improvement. The scoring was on par with the regular meet scores.

The girls have a mock meet before their firsts meet of the season. Most of our coaches are judges too, so they generally judge. Scores aren't flashed, the girls get a score card at the end and some feedback. This is dd's second season. She is competing in an "early start" meet that is USAG sanctioned meet. It's basically to get the kids in the competition mindset. Their first official meet of the season isn't until the end of December.

Our gym has a mock meet before the start of each season. They are scored by judges but this year were only given a score range (blue, red, white) for their routines.

Our in house practice meet is judged by dinner of the same judges that we will see from time to time at our regular meets. Neither parents nor gymnasts (at least at the compulsory levels) receive scores. The judges give some direct feedback to the girls after each rotation. The coaches are given the scores abd additional feedback.

Last year, we found that most of our girls needed work on their leaps on beam. So after intersquad the coaches spent more time on that skill. I expect a similar setup again this year.

DD did a mock meet before her first ever competition, and one after the end of the season. It was scored by judges, but scores weren't flashed. They received score cards at the end with comments on them for improvement. The scoring was on par with the regular meet scores.

Just curious, what is the purpose for the mock meet at the end of the season?

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back