Motivation- Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm currently working with a group of level 4 TNT girls ages 6-9ish. At this particular gym, it's still a recreational level, level 5 is considered pre-team. They are working on a ton of basics- better cartwheels, nice round-offs, front handsprings, back handsprings, those kinds of thing. However, many of them are pretty far behind where they should be at this point. As a result, I'm having to go back to the basics with them and build them back up. A lot of them are anxious to get to work on flipping skills though and I don't want them to feel frustrated or disappointed. Additionally, many of them don't really seem to have much in the way of motivation just yet.
So I'm thinking about creating some kind of progress chart for this group, just a way for them to see the improvements they are making, get them to make some goals for themselves, and maybe find a little motivation to better themselves in the process.
So my question is, has anyone done anything like this before? Can anyone offer some suggestions on the best way to go about doing this, things to include, or maybe some other ideas that might work a little better? I really just want to see these kids keep going in the sport and progressing so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

When i was in rec we had a wall chart with the levels and skill at the gym, we also got a wall chart for our rooms to take home. After every practice we got a sticker to put on the chart. I don't know about them but i always loved getting the most stickers and being able to show the chart to my friends :D.

T&T as in tumbling & trampoline?

I like having a sheet on the wall where kids can write their new skills (coaches play too!). And I put all the routines on the wall so they can see them, instead of having to take my word for it that they aren't there yet.

We have some high level T&T athletes, so they all know where they're aiming...does your gym have any way for them to see what the possibilities are? Words on a sheet aren't the same as "OHMIGOD DID YOU SEE THAT? I WANT TO DO THAT!"

T&T as in tumbling & trampoline?

I like having a sheet on the wall where kids can write their new skills (coaches play too!). And I put all the routines on the wall so they can see them, instead of having to take my word for it that they aren't there yet.

We have some high level T&T athletes, so they all know where they're aiming...does your gym have any way for them to see what the possibilities are? Words on a sheet aren't the same as "OHMIGOD DID YOU SEE THAT? I WANT TO DO THAT!"

There are high level kids, they just aren't in the gym at the same time as this group. I'm really not sure they have a clue what the possibilities are for themselves if they work hard and continue to progress.

Can you get one in there during their time?

One of our really talented kids was very no-effort, because everything was easy. Then she saw the trampoline level 8 compulsory. Total attitude change. It was kind of awesome.

Can you get one in there during their time?

One of our really talented kids was very no-effort, because everything was easy. Then she saw the trampoline level 8 compulsory. Total attitude change. It was kind of awesome.

That's a really good idea, I'll see what I can set up. Thanks for the feedback!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back