Coaches Motivational tools

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hammy1207

Coach
Judge
I am looking for some new ways to motivate my girls. In the past we have done sticker charts, earn points to play a game, etc. I would like to do something for specific skills (especially kips and cartwheels on beam).

What do you do to motivate your gymnasts?

I like to do things like that as a big outside activity as well as small stuff in the gym, and have seen pretty good success using a point system for skills. So when a kid gets to move to the next step of a progression they get a point to put into the "fun bank" to be used when ever the kids save up enough for whatever they have planned..... big or small.

The hard part is figuring out how many points to award for doing whatever, how many points they have to spend from the bank to do something small like a game and how many it's gonna take to get something big.... like a bowling party or a gym party sleep over.

Another thing you have to provide for is a way for every kid to earn points that aren't entirely dependant on progress because.... well, you know. Figure out a value for hard work, being courteous to the adults that work with and supervise them..... even their parents when they get picked up by being ready and then promptly leaving when mom or dad asks.

Adapted from my classroom:

A marble jar. My elementary school kids warned a marble for good behavior, utilizing life skills/morals, excelling in whatever area I saw fit or that was Pre-defined. When the jar filled we had "fun Friday" afternoon.

In gym it works great. You can reward a marble for anything. Acquisition of a new skill may earn multiple marbles, high level of effort, reaching a goal, etc.
Once the jar is filled up the team is rewarded as all the girls contributed to filling it. I usually Pre-define the reward- sleepover or no conditioning 1 workout or games for warm up... You name it. I've even written several rewards down & we picked out of a hat what the reward was.

I like this reward system as you can motivate an entire group by handing out 1 marble to an athlete. They all want to earn one!

I have had success with all ages- 6yr olds & 16yr olds enjoy putting a marble in the jar :)

Trick is finding a decent size jar that will be filled with enough hard work marbles that it is worth working for... Doesn't reward too often, but often enough they strive to fill it!
Mine takes a couple months to fill generally-depending on their work ethic & how liberal I am rewarding marbles!

A gym I coach at uses a chart with all the gymnasts names on. At the end of the session the coaches give each gymnast a sticker to put on their chart depending on how they thought the gymnast did that session (mainly based on effort/concentration etc). There are 3 different colour stickers- pink is really good a session, blue is a good (normal) session and yellow is a okish/bad session. The gymnasts can also gain a sticker for gaining a new move.. so even if they have a bad session and get given a yellow sticker for poor effort they can still gain a sticker for gaining a new move. Maybe not so motivating in the long term but it works well to keep them working hard each session :)

Thank you for the ideas!

For the season I'm planning something similar to the marble jar. Every time they improve a score they get to put a marble in the jar and a full jar by the end of season equals a game day/fun day for the entire practice.

Motivation comes in different shapes and sizes. Here are a few of the planned ways we go about motivating.

New skill: (1) Bell - We have an enormous cow bell on a padded pole in the center of the gym. We any gymnast accomplishes a new skill they get to get a block and pull it down and swing it/ring it like crazy. The gym pauses and we watch the skill. Even the stereo gets turned off for the moment of show and celebration. All team coaches and staff make sure that the athlete is ready to show. It is a big deal in the team girls eyes.
(2) Lobby Movie Stars - Team girls with an upgrade skill or excellent new skill can ask their coach to identify a vid on one of the IPads( using Coaches Eye with all pics/vids on our intranet) in the gym and I load it to the gymnastics vid playing in the lobby. Many of the gymnasts are thrilled to be "Lobby Movie Stars."
(3) "Busting Butt Beans" - Motivation needs to be recognized early n the skill process and we give a thumbs up for coaches to allow their athletes or class coaches to allow their students to head to the BIG jar in the gym to pick out a Jelly Belly jellybean. Team girls get 1 bean and man do they work hard to earn one. We have a chart of what flavor each color is. The team gymnasts plan out their treats.
(4) Team gymnasts of the month - The stated mission of the award is to recognize athletes who excel at demonstrating determination, excellence and optimism during the previous calender month. Unlimited girls are eliglbe to win. We have had the entire Level 3 (USA Gymnastics level) team be awarded this past summer. The girls get their pics up in the lobby wall. BTW: We have Rec.Gymnasts of the month. The Rec. program rocks this.

I can post up other ways later.

Best wishes to you and your athletes, Short Bad Guy -

I like yours Short Balding Guy! We no longer do the bell for the Team kids. Not sure why. I also used to use a marble jar, but donated that to the optionals when my teams got so big. Besides, little girls spent way too much time picking through to get their favorite marble. I caught one cheating by putting a handful of marbles in and so I dumped them all out. lol. She did learn something that day.

1) I use sticker charts where they can earn stickers for hard work etc. When it is full they get to pick a prize from the box. Just little fun stuff.
2) Stars for scores 9.30 and better. Superstars for scores greater than 9.50 These are posted in the gym.
3) Dry Erase boards where they get to write their names if they win a contest.
4) Neon Window Markers for the same thing as above
5) Gym Bingo- I have a binder where they put their gym bingo papers when they have them filled out. They have goals written on them and when they get 5 in a row they get a Bingo and get to choose from the box.
6) Contests!! They watch each other and peer pressure does wonders!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back