WAG Moving from Xcel to JO?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was never in the JO program before, my coach saw talent in me last year so he moved me to the xcel program (from rec.). My goal is to become elite (go to the Olympics) and to do that you probably need to be in the JO program. Currently, I am in xcel gold. Does anyone have a list of skills you need to get into JO? I am very determined to achieve my goal :) Thanks in advance!

Like with the different levels of Xcel, the different JO levels have different requirements. Speak to your coach about your desire to transition to JO and see what he/she says. I'm thinking Xcel gold is somewhere around level 3/4?

What skills do you have? Xcel gold is around a level 4, most might be closer to level 5 on floor and even beam. But it's hard to compare an optional program to a compulsory one of course. Elite is probably not a realistic goal at this point whether you do Xcel or a compulsory level, but you should definitely focus on short term goals of improving and gaining skills within reach.

You'd have to talk to your coaches about what you'd need in your own gym. But sometimes going back to compulsories with younger kids may prevent you from developing skills as fast. It depends on how good your current Xcel coach is and how much they push you to develop conditioning and flexibility.

By the way, I would also say you should definitely be stretching and conditioning at home.

According to USAG rules and policies, there is no mobility from Xcel to JO. This means that you have to enter JO at the beginning or try the seldom-used alternative competition entry procedures. The problem is that Xcel Gold really equates to no better than JO level 6 and that is a stretch. To be honest, getting to elite from where you are at your age is a very steep hill to climb; you will have to get to high optional level skills in a short time.

It's a good thing I love conditioning and stretching when I'm at home :) here are some skills that I have...
Beam: back walkover (competing), Front tuck dismount (competing), round-off (not competing) switch leap [about a 145 degree split] (competing)
Bars: Flyaway (competing), clear hip (not competing) sole circle/roundy-round (competing)
Floor: round-off back handspring back tuck (competing), punch front tuck (competing) full split switch leap (competing), side aerial (not competing),
Vault: front handspring [on a 3] (competing), Tsuk in pit with spot (obviously not competing) Half on half off into pit (not competing)

Thanks everyone :)

Do you have a kip? If not, you'll need to focus a lot of work on getting a straight arm kip connected to a cast.

It sounds like you may not be far off from competing 6 or 7. I believe there is a process by which your coaches can petition to let you start in optionals (otherwise you'd have to score out of 4 and 5). Talk to your coaches about your goals.

Gymdog, I don't have a kip yet, but I am working very very hard for it! I have actually been working on it for almost a year now! I think I will get it soon.

MaryA, I will have to talk to my coaches later about my goals and such, but I was wondering if it was realistic I think it is. Thanks again to everybody who responded!

I don't mean to be debbie downer here, but how long do you have until you turn 16? 16 is a key age for the things on your list of goals. The closer you are to 16, the harder its going to be. Also, I am sure you know that the number of elite athletes is pretty small and the number of olympic-caliber athletes is even smaller. There can be other goals besides elite and olympics that can be more realistic.

I just want to add my 2 cents that I appreciate your dedication and desire to reach your goal, however far off it may be. Keep it up and don't let other people's discouragement get to you. You can do whatever you decide to fully commit yourself to doing. Good luck!

I think once you achieve your kip than you sound like you are probably around L6. Also, bars seems to be the event that can really slow progress down. Keep working hard and who knows what could happen! Best of luck to you. I would love to hear how things progress for you!

acm -

If what I said appears to be discouraging, it wasn't meant to be; I am just trying to be realistic. Only 5 athletes make the olympic team once every 4 years; you have to admit that those are very, very tall odds for even the most talented gymnast out there. Sometimes I think we all forget what reality is. The OP is at least 13 years old and is coming in at about level 6 with no kip; you have to admit the road ahead of her to her stated goal is very, very steep.

Talk with your coaches and keep working on all the conditioning that will help with your kip. You will have to have a kip to complete JO Levels 4 and 5 which are prerequisites to L7. While a goal of the olympics may not be reasonable, if you keep working you could have a great experience competing optional level gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back