My age is bothering me for the level I am..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

I will be competing level 4 YMCA and USAG as a 14-15 year old. Is there other older girls in level 4? I'm really nervous I'll be the only one, and I definitely don't want that. Please help, I'm totally freaking out about this.

I was going to be competing level 3 next spring (2016) at 15! I decided to switch into xcel though as its less stress on me to be able to make my own routines, I was getting mental blocks left and right worrying I wouldn't have X skill by January! So I'll either be competeing xcel silver or gold the spring 2016 season. (If you read my other posts where I said bronze or silver, my coach was confused on the level requirements) Don't feel bad for being older as a level 4, just keep enjoying gymnastics as long as you can! That's what I'm doing.

I'm not but, I remember trying to come back from quitting and I always felt I was too old for my level. It's not about your age, it's about where you competing well at. You'd feel worse if
You went to a higher level that
You weren't ready for and never placed

When I competed level 4, I was 14 years old. I think there are advantages to being older, because younger kids don't always understand gymnastics as well. I don't know how YMCA is, but I don't think you'll be the only older kid. :)

I was 13 when I competed l4 also at the YMCA and I switched to xcel gold the season after. Xcel gold was definitely a better suit for me (not to brag, but I won state as a gold vs not placing at all at state for l4). The problem I had was getting into the compulsory routines which made me feel out of place and distracted. I would strongly suggest switching to xcel so you feel less pressure to fit in.

I started competing at 19! I was in an over 15 age category but they take it from your age at the end of the season so I competed against some 14 year olds. The category was small and it was really nice - I wouldn't worry about being older. They other gymnasts will be focussed on their own game and will barely notice how old you are.

I'm a 16 year old level 6 and I can say that all the comps j have ever competed at I was not the oldest
W(hen I was in level 4 I was 14 and level 5 I was 15). Apart from being the tallest in the height order line (if your gym even does that) there was nothing different between being older. I am however from Australia so that might make a difference...

I started gymnastics for the FIRST time when I was 14. So you being 14 and already doing level four is a lot better than you think. And yes you'll probably be the tallest and/or oldest, but it has its advantages. You'll be able to approach things more logically. Younger kids really don't understand a lot gym concepts fully. Also, I think you'll move up a lot faster than you think. Like I mentioned, I started rec when I was 14 and did that for a year with 8 year olds. I finally made the xcel gold team and competed with them for 2 years (I was 16 and my team was no older than 13) finally I made my gym's diamond/platinum team and not only am I not the oldest for once, but everyone is actually my age.

So basically what I'm trying to say is even though it may feel like forever, you will eventually get to exactly where you belong. Compulsory routines can make you feel childish, but take them seriously. Give it your all, do extra conditioning/stretching, and just be patient :)

Hope that wasn't as confusing as I think it is, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back