My daughter didn't attend her summer camp- does it matter?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Because of financial constraints (read: "I have three other kids that do sports, too"), we didn't send my daughter to her gym's summer camp. Will it have any real impact on her growth as a gymnast? The justifier in me says two weeks of camp can't make that much of an impact. Also, since most of the girls did camp, my daughter got more individual attention at the gym since the campers didn't attend gym at the normal time during camp weeks. Am I talking myself into it being okay or is it really okay?

When my daughter was at a so-so gym with limited hours, I actually felt like going to gymnastics camp benefitted her because she got to put in a bunch of hours with really great coaches. Now that we've switched gyms, she puts in a bunch of hours with really great coaches (who are personally vested in her development, which camp coaches aren't) on a daily basis. Unfortunately, now she LOVES Woodward... her week at Woodward is ranked higher on her "things I love" list than Christmas. And she goes on a partial grandma scholarship. So she goes and loves it, but I don't really know that she is getting any more out of it (from a gymnastics standpoint) than she would from a week in the gym (that we're still paying for, even though she's off at camp). It sounds like your DD goes to a good gym, so I definitely don't think she's missing out from a gymnastics perspective. Next year, enter raffles for free weeks at (whatever gym camp is not too far away from you) at meets. I'm amazed at how many people seem to win a free week. Of course, if after that free week she's hooked... then you're in trouble! I'm guessing that's why they give out so many of them!

Because of financial constraints (read: "I have three other kids that do sports, too"), we didn't send my daughter to her gym's summer camp. Will it have any real impact on her growth as a gymnast? The justifier in me says two weeks of camp can't make that much of an impact. Also, since most of the girls did camp, my daughter got more individual attention at the gym since the campers didn't attend gym at the normal time during camp weeks. Am I talking myself into it being okay or is it really okay?

no and yes.:)

MaryA, that's how my DD is going to USGTC camp this summer....she won a week in a raffle at a meet! I could never afford to send her there at $1,200/week (and there's no grandma scholarship here!!).

Cbone, she will do just fine being in the gym. Fewer kids = more attention for your DD.

HI, I sent my son to a gym camp last summer... it was great for him as there were many more boys and he got to work with some great coaches... but.... it took them a couple days to "feel out" what level he was in... and he didn't really work on anything that he wouldn't have worked on at his own gym... so in retrospect it didn't really put him any further ahead... just provided him with a good experience and helped him get to know some of the boys from around the area. We did not send him back this year... we are confident he will get as much from his usual training.

At your dd's age and for many years to come, camp is just fun. If they learn a new skill and come home with it, usually their gym doesn't let them do it anyways or they will find something wrong with the way it was taught and want them to re-learn it! It's a great experience for the kids to have, but it honestly does not have any impact on how good of a gymnast your child might become.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back