Parents My DD is a gym "nerd"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
My DD13 is currently studying the JO code of points like its a school project and learning how to gauge a D score. She knows the Xcel code inside out and is the go-to for questions her HC has about routine construction and xcel requirements. She studies past olympics and important gymansts, and makes up quizzes for the DD11. Her level of obsession is high, but adorable, and I wanted to share. She is always doing walkovers and handstands like many gymnasts, but she makes everything academic, and gymnastics wasn't immune!

She sounds like me... I am HC's go to about Xcel.

I also know enough about the JO Levels 3-7 and am working on Level 8 (for next season when we SHOULD have 2 Level 8s on team).

I try to quiz my brother because we go to meets together (he's my driver) and when I am away, he will talk to people and say "You should really ask my sister, but I think they deducted "x" for her "z skill not being y enough" ... but he only pays attention to half of what I say and then picks "stupid" times to ask me questions (instead of AT HOME, when I am watching a VIDEO of a routine, he will ask AT a MEET, when I am trying to RECORD or WATCH!) I also watch routines online and score them :)

And he sarcastically calls my CB interactions "Saving the sport, one gymnast at a time."

She says when she is done taking gymnastics as far as she can get it to go, she wants to coach and be a judge (after medical school, of course). I guess she's getting a head start. I have no doubt she can manage to do pretty much whatever she wants.

She can begin judging (level 4/5 and/or 7/8) at age 16--Just has to pass tests and get safety certified!

Leo (if after 21st-22nd), Cancer before that.
Don't judge me. I learnt the order in astronomy!

I don't really know. But from what I know about her, I'd say she was possibly more Cancerian - like me :)

DD is the same way. Coach always asks her questions about elite gymnastics since he knows that she knows the answers. She knows the JO code better then the coaches. The coach keeps telling her that her turn on floor is a B even though DD knows that it is a D. Also DD has a D skills on beam that coach thinks is a C. DD won't correct coach though. She is afraid of being accused of talking back.

I am and always have been one of our gyms 'gym nerds'. The 92 Olympics were my first experience of watching elite gym and I was hooked from then! As a teen I was to be found watching any competition footage I could find!
Unfortunately these days I don't get to watch as much as I would like but try my best to keep up as much as poss.
Oh and yes I am now a coach, judge and part club owner! Ha!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back