WAG My Mum (Mom) wants me to quit!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I guess this is the opposite to the problems most people seem to have. When I was little (about seven) I did a gymnastics class once a week on a Saturday. the coach clearly liked me in some way because I was moved up to another group that I think was twice a week but I'm not sure. the new coach was not very pleasant and I didn't want to go any more because i was very scared of her. my mum made me keep going for a little while, but in the end she let me give it up.

I practised gym at home allot and managed to keep some strength and one of my splits. then when I was about 11 I got really into it again, and when i was 12/13 I joined a school hall gym club. when I was 14 I joined a purpose built gym. at 15 I did my level 1 coaching qualification, and my first competition. at 16 I joined the clubs regional competition group. at 19 I decided it was time to transfer to the tumbling section of the club.now I'm almost 21 and happier then I ever have at gym, I'm more confident then I have ever been.

I'm at the gym 6 days a week. (mostly coaching. I only train 6/8 hours a week.) Recently I injured my ankle I landed short on a double back into the pit, (new move!) its not that bad an injury but its the worst i have had. My Achilles is aching allot and it has always been a fear of mine to snap it.

my mum never wanted me to go back to gym, but she has been endlessly supportive and has made it possible for me to do it. she has wanted me to quit since for at least 5 years, because it does make me tired and she thinks that it is the cause of the instability in my ankles, but I have NEVER hurt them while training until this last thing with the double, and she is right that its the cause of my back pain, but that's muscular. (its all knotted up).

I guess I just wanted other peoples opinion on what to do. my mum accepts it if I want to keep going, but she does get frustrated with me for it. I want to keep going more than anything. I will quit at some point but I feel I have more in me yet! I don't want it to hurt my relationship with my mum.

any thoughts are greatly appreciated

thankyou!

Do you get paid for your coaching time? If so then at your age you are a fully grown adult working in a job you love and getting to keep fit and healthy too. I suspect your mum is just fussing because she loves you, but must be proud really? I would be. But it might not stop me fussing...

If you don't get paid and you are there six days a week then do you have a paid job as well? Can you manage to hold down both ok? I can see how she might be frustrated if you are doing this voluntarily instead of working and needing her support in that way. She might also be justified in feeling that you are being exploited in that case. But if you are managing to earn then I'm sure it will be fine and she's just fussing like mums do!

also get your ankle seen by a physio, they will give you some exercises to help strengthen it to help prevent more injuries xxx

Well the fact that you are almost 21 and you do seem to love gym and the coaching I would keep going. Your mum might not like it, but you are an adult and keeping fit, healthy and active are such great things.

Maybe you can sit down with your mum and just let her know how much you like being at the gym and why? It might help her accept that this is what you love doing.

What would you do if you quit gym?

I agree with Margo that having your ankles looked at would be a good idea.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back