My parents won't let me do competitive!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

canada_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
My parents say that if I do competitive gymnastics, my grades are going to really drop. I have been trying to persuade them for the past year, but they won't budge. I am currently training only 2 hours a week at Parks and Rec, but I love gymnastics so much more, I can live it and breathe it. I am currently in grade 9, and I am living in Canada. How can I make my parents believe that I can train more hours and keep my grades up (my average is 88%)? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Im not sure how you can convince your parents because they normally know whats best but i think in order to 'impress' them and make them be able to trust you getting better marks now before you even ask to join competitive sounds like a good idea start trying in the low- high ninetys and then see what your parents will say.
I live an hour away so i can't do competitve either, i train 2 hrs a week in REC gymnastics, i will be in year 9 soon, I'm 14 how old r u?, and in my rec group im between levels 2-4 :) goodluck...

Maybe they can check around on NCAA websites and see this for themselves, but often the competing/optional/elite/college gymnasts have the best grades. They learn how to budget their time, and they are often more driven than the average student. One freshman on Georgia's team was her HS's valedictorian.

My parents say that if I do competitive gymnastics, my grades are going to really drop. I have been trying to persuade them for the past year, but they won't budge. I am currently training only 2 hours a week at Parks and Rec, but I love gymnastics so much more, I can live it and breathe it. I am currently in grade 9, and I am living in Canada. How can I make my parents believe that I can train more hours and keep my grades up (my average is 88%)? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

See if they would be willing to let you try team training over the summer so YOU can see what type of commitment is involved. Its alot of work and it takes someone that is organized and committed to do team. In our family school always comes first so my DD has missed a few practices because of school homework or events.

Instead of begging ask them if you can sit down with them because you have something you are very serious about and really would like them to really take some time to consider it before they say no.

In the end however there may be other factors in their decision besides school. Money, time, and the over all commitment along with school need to be considered.

Have you ever tried other team type events? How have you handled the time management? Are you showing maturity so you can show your parents you can handle this? Or are you whining about it.

Really take a look beyond the "I really want to do this and they are so unfair"

Competitive gymnastics is a huge commitment not just for you but also for your family. It might be about more than just the school grades. Competitive gymnastics is usually a 3-5 day a week commitment for 3-4 1/2 hours a day. This means you will be training a minimum of 9 hours a week and it could be well over 20 hours a week.

Your parents will need to drive you to and from the gym a lot more often which does take a big chunk out of there day and interferes with the scheduling for the whole family. As well as driving or even flying long distances for competitions.

It is also a big financial cost. Competition training fees are $40-$100 every week just for training, then there is the cost of leotards, warm ups, competition fees, travel fees and so on. This will mean a lot of sacrifices for your parents. They will have to stop doing many of the things they like so you can do the sport.

It is unfair to expect them to do this, many kids have parents who do but many kids have parents who don't. It has to become very much the parents hobby as well in many cases to make it work.

Competitive gymnastics is a huge commitment not just for you but also for your family. It might be about more than just the school grades. Competitive gymnastics is usually a 3-5 day a week commitment for 3-4 1/2 hours a day. This means you will be training a minimum of 9 hours a week and it could be well over 20 hours a week.

Your parents will need to drive you to and from the gym a lot more often which does take a big chunk out of there day and interferes with the scheduling for the whole family. As well as driving or even flying long distances for competitions.

It is also a big financial cost. Competition training fees are $40-$100 every week just for training, then there is the cost of leotards, warm ups, competition fees, travel fees and so on. This will mean a lot of sacrifices for your parents. They will have to stop doing many of the things they like so you can do the sport.

It is unfair to expect them to do this, many kids have parents who do but many kids have parents who don't. It has to become very much the parents hobby as well in many cases to make it work.

You mean I could have said No LOL!!

It definitly becomes a lifestyle for the whole family. and a HUGE commitment for everyone not just the gymnast.

hehe, most parents get involved slowly not really aware of what they are getting themselves into. In the end most parents are glad they did and feel it was money and time well spent. But I think it is important for the kids to remember what a big commitment it is for their parents and a sacrifice for their whole families for their training.

Canada_Gymnast, if at all feasible, try this... Make them a deal. Tell them and show them that you can compete in the sport and still sustain the same grades. Then, work harder at your school work and show them even better grades. That way, not only do you prove it to your parents but you prove it to yourself. Other than some sacrifice of your time, you really don't have anything to lose but a lot to gain.

NotAMom is a smart lady. Approach your parents in a mature manner and do as she suggests. Ask for a trial as a compromise. And if you work hard at gym and more importantly AT SCHOOL, maybe they will relent and allow you to compete.

That is...IF it's only about the grades. Be prepared to learn that it might be more than just grades. But remember, maturity goes a long way and will help you a lot more than stomping off in a huff.

My parents were worried about the same thing as i have quite high potential academically topping the year in science. My mum was worried that it would get in the way school.

So i sat my parent down and explained that i was willing to work really hard at school and keep my grades up and if my grades slipped i would have to quit gym and i agreed and i have kept my grades up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back