WAG My turn now! L5 vault critique please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
Vault has been a huge weakness for DD since last year at new 4. Scores have varied between 8.4-8.7. I know she's not getting enough block. What else is she doing wrong, and do you think one private before states would get her score up enough to not kill her AA, or would it take more work?

She is 4'9" and 70 lbs.

I don't think there is much value to a handspring vault private. She will get tired vaulting over and over by herself, so it's just not a great use of your money or her time. I would make it the goal to improve vault after state.

She is piking on and arching off which is causing all sorts of deductions.
Most of this is caused by her slow run and high hurdle.

What coachp said. A private to work on her run and hurdle might help, if it's something that the rest of the team can do well, its just something that's not clicking yet with her.

What coachp said. At Dd's former gym, all the girls would score low on the vaults. As parents, we couldn't figure out why until we started watching what the high scoring vaulters from another gym were doing differently. While our girls were arching over the table, they would come off it in a hollow position. Your daughter is vaulting a lot like mine did at her former gym.

She has a gorgeous salute at the start. I bet she really pays attention to detail on beam and floor.

Her vault just needs more power. A lot of the more elegant girls struggle there. She looked high on the horse to me, although other coaches would probably be able to tell you more the technical aspect. They should have heel drive and invert very quickly to the hand stand.

She has a gorgeous salute at the start. I bet she really pays attention to detail on beam and floor.

Her vault just needs more power. A lot of the more elegant girls struggle there. She looked high on the horse to me, although other coaches would probably be able to tell you more the technical aspect. They should have heel drive and invert very quickly to the hand stand.

Thank you, she does. Beam and floor are her best events.

None of the girls at the gym, 4 or 5, vault well. DD says they spend little time on vault. I think one girl has gotten a 9 between last year and this - some can manage high 8's.

She jumps up a little high, and doesn't have enough time to block. When she puts her hands down, she's already past the handstand.

My DD's vault was low scoring at her old gym. Mid 8s at best. New gym now does LOTs of drills to work on blocking .... I look at vault practice now, vs old gym vault practice, and it's definitely a different world.

If all the girls are weak on vault, I'd doubt 1 private is going to help. I

She needs to time her arm circle, among others that have been mentioned, so her hands are table height as she leaves the board.........
upload_2014-11-25_23-3-59.png

When they go as high as she has them she'll have to reach down to get her hands on the table, and will likely pike to help that happen.

There's more but the hurdle height and hand/arm position are the deal breakers.

Reactions: sce
First, I think she is doing a great job! She has what I affectionately call the compulsory level 5 vault 'pike on, fling off,' and trust me, I've had my fair share of them! ;) Even though she isn't fast or strong enough right now, coming on high (close to vertical when her hands contact the table) is her friend. If she were to come on lower with a faster lower hurdle (jump to the board) like she should, at this point it would collapse her shoulders and lower back and make a far worse scoring vault. I believe that a private could help her quite a bit if her coach focuses on a couple of fairly easy fixes. Lifting her heals off the board quicker (heal drive) would help with the pike on, along with a few drills to reinforce a hollow body throughout the vault. If she will keep her head neutral (where it is all day long), keeps her arms by her ears in her pre flight, and STICKS that landing, she will pick up a minimum of .5. Good luck, and can't wait to hear how she does! :)

I scored the second one & the deductions that I took (these could differ slightly from what the judge took due to the different angle) were:
.1-incorrect head alignment (first flight)
.2- pike (first flight)
.1- incorrect head alignment (support phase)
.1- slightly too long in support phase
.2-.4 - angle of repulsion (it's hard to see from this angle)
.2- insufficient height
.2 - insufficient distance
Final Score: 8.5-8.7 depending on angle of repulsion
So, as most others have said, her biggest deductions are all coming from the pike-on & arch-off, which causes all of the height, distance, & repulsion deductions. I don't know if a private would help much because she's probably been doing this vault this way for a long time. Those habits take time & repetition, along with building strength to break. Good luck at state! Let us know how it goes!

I found this amazing vault on YouTube. It is quite beautiful.
I showed it to my DD and she gave me a look like, ummmm yeah sure....I'm on it.
I know this girls is bigger than your DD, but we have a L4 girl who weighs 55-60 lbs. and she has this kind of speed and bounce....her form is not there yet.
Even our coach looked at it a few times.

I found this amazing vault on YouTube. It is quite beautiful.
I showed it to my DD and she gave me a look like, ummmm yeah sure....I'm on it.
I know this girls is bigger than your DD, but we have a L4 girl who weighs 55-60 lbs. and she has this kind of speed and bounce....her form is not there yet.
Even our coach looked at it a few times.

Yep, DD and I saw that one and our jaws hit the floor!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back