Name labels in leos?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
This is mainly a question for parents, but I thought that coaches or gymnasts might have some experience in this area as well...

Our sudden bout of warm weather has me thinking about summer camp (that and the fact that I believe the balance of our payment to Woodward is due before April 1... yikes!). Last year I found a place online (I think it was called 'lovable labels') that sold cute name labels to iron into clothing that had designs on them, so I could get my 1 dd gymnastics name labels and the other dance name labels. They were nice in theory, but the labels themselves were fairly thick and rubbery and it actually took a good amount of ironing at a pretty high heat temperature to get them to stick. Lots of ironing at high temps isn't ideal for gymnastics leos, dance leos, or dance tights, which made up a majority of the items my daughters were packing. Has anyone had good luck with affixing any particular type of name label in leos? Or should I just take the easy route and write names on the inside tags with a sharpie? I feel like the labels make quick ID of similar clothing items easier, but the ones I had last year were a bust!

Thanks!

An organization I did some volunteer work for had a fundraiser with this company- http://www.mabel.ca/- I didn't buy any, but they might be better than the others you tried. I can't make any promises though. They do have some cute designs, I'm still considering getting some for plastic containers, but at this point in my life I really have no need for labeling leotards (I'm sure everyone is grateful for that!).
If not, Sharpies work just as well. I don't remember having to label my leos for camps and stuff, but I also had very different taste in leos from almost everyone else (and very possessive) so it was never much of a problem.

I just used a sharpie when dd went to IGC. On clothes that didn't have a tag, I put a specific number of dots on the elastic area with the sharpie.

I use 'Stuck on You' labels on my kids' stuff (mainly their school clothes). 'Stuck on You' have some clothing labels that will both stick on and iron on. Ironing just makes it stick a little stronger. I cut the label down as small as it needs to be to fit it on the garment. For example, I managed to fit a label into the side seam of my DD's ballet leotard. I haven't had to label her gymnastics leotards so far but I think the same method would work.

I used Iron on labels - I purchased them from a local store that specializes in a lot of overnight camp gear (yes we live in a strange area where it seems EVERYONE goes to overnight camp)!

They did stay on, though, I will say, if you have a tag, I found sharpies much easier. My daughter liked the iron on stuff. The other thing, while they worked fine for the leos (I was a little skeptical) it seems that if anything is velvet and they have the smooth interior, you have to be careful as it can melt it, so it's a technique with the iron, high heat but lots of quick ons and off and maybe even a break in between and do it again. Like I said, if there is a tag, Sharpies are much easier - may not be as cool looking, but definately easier!
This is mainly a question for parents, but I thought that coaches or gymnasts might have some experience in this area as well...

Our sudden bout of warm weather has me thinking about summer camp (that and the fact that I believe the balance of our payment to Woodward is due before April 1... yikes!). Last year I found a place online (I think it was called 'lovable labels') that sold cute name labels to iron into clothing that had designs on them, so I could get my 1 dd gymnastics name labels and the other dance name labels. They were nice in theory, but the labels themselves were fairly thick and rubbery and it actually took a good amount of ironing at a pretty high heat temperature to get them to stick. Lots of ironing at high temps isn't ideal for gymnastics leos, dance leos, or dance tights, which made up a majority of the items my daughters were packing. Has anyone had good luck with affixing any particular type of name label in leos? Or should I just take the easy route and write names on the inside tags with a sharpie? I feel like the labels make quick ID of similar clothing items easier, but the ones I had last year were a bust!

Thanks!

I always use the sharpie on the inside tag method and have had great success. Twice Wooward has mailed back shorts that she lost track of just ID'd by those labels.

I use Mabel's Labels. They are available online. My favourite ones are the Tag Mates. Just peel and stick! I also use them on clothing items without tags and items like water bottles, ipods etc and have been pleased with the results. These are small labels so big kids don't object ;)

I have just stitched right onto the care label inside the garment myself with some colorful thread. It makes it easy to see which is which and also less itchiness! You don't need to know how to sew just make some stitches and you are done!!

I usually just sharpie the lable that is already in the clothing but If I need a lable I get Iron on Pellon (in fabric stores) and use my sewing machine that does letters. I sew my DD's name cut out the name in a lable size and iron it in. It doesn't take high heat to get it to stick and with the machine I have I can do script of block letters along with over 300 decorative stiches. Just got the embrodiery machine and its great. This season I will have great things with the gym logo on it can hardly wait to get use to using that.

I usually just sharpie the lable that is already in the clothing but If I need a lable I get Iron on Pellon (in fabric stores) and use my sewing machine that does letters. I sew my DD's name cut out the name in a lable size and iron it in. It doesn't take high heat to get it to stick and with the machine I have I can do script of block letters along with over 300 decorative stiches. Just got the embrodiery machine and its great. This season I will have great things with the gym logo on it can hardly wait to get use to using that.

Wow! I'd love to have one of those!

I just write it on the inside tag.
If you're really desperate, buy her a couple leos that have her name emboridered in big block letters down the front. :D

If you're really desperate, buy her a couple leos that have her name emboridered in big block letters down the front. :D

Considering one of the reasons why I prefer the name labels to the sharpie is because they can generally be removed for easier resale, this may not be the best option... unless I find another gymnast a size smaller than her with her same name... :) And then there are the dance leos for other DD... for dancing they tend to prefer a more uniform appearance...

I always use the sharpie on the inside tag method and have had great success. Twice Wooward has mailed back shorts that she lost track of just ID'd by those labels.

It's nice to know that Woodward will make the effort to mail back lost items!

Wow! I'd love to have one of those!

Well the sewing machine which can do letters and all the decorative stitches is a Kenmore Elite you can get it at any sears store- Its made by jenome so it's a great machine I love it. The other which has the embrodiery function and I'm still learning how to use is a Singer Futura I have the 250 model but there is a better one out there but that was a little out of my price range. It can be a regular sewing machine or an embrodier. I still have to get a new Serger machine my old one broke.

In case you haven't figured it out yet I have sewing skills and actually love to sew. DD also loves to sew but is just starting out. soon though she will have enough skills to actually make her own leos if she wants to.

I used a sharpie too. Good thing too as Baby Bog left behind 12 leos her first year there. They found them all and returned them. I do not envy them the job of sorting through lost, dirty clothing.

I used a sharpie too. Good thing too as Baby Bog left behind 12 leos her first year there. They found them all and returned them. I do not envy them the job of sorting through lost, dirty clothing.

12? Wow! I'd like to say that my DD doesn't even HAVE that many leos, but unfortunately, I'd be lying. Good thing B.B. got them back though!

BOth my DD's stopped gym this year. I went through all their leos, letting them hang on to a few special ones. I have 45 to sell at the gym!! Even I was shocked!

BOth my DD's stopped gym this year. I went through all their leos, letting them hang on to a few special ones. I have 45 to sell at the gym!! Even I was shocked!

Yes, I think it's probably best not to count. My DD just got a new one last week, using a gift certificate she got for her birthday, and I have another one to give her in about a week and a half after her States meet. There is a consignment sale coming up next week though, so I will make her go through them in the next day or two, to see if there are some that I can sell. I don't expect her to give up many... she is a bit of a hoarder!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back