WAG National Congress questions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
I want to attend the USAG National Congress in Pittsburgh this year. I'm interested in going for the entire event (all four days) because I want to attend as many clinics and presentations as I can, as well as being able to see the P&G Championships.

My questions are:

• If I want to attend the entire event, including clinics, seminars, presentations, as well as attending the competition, what would I be looking at money-wise? Can anyone tell me what they ended up paying if they've gone for the whole experience in the past?
  • I am not certified in anything yet as a coach. Is this an event that I can get certified at? Or will I need to be certified to even attend?
  • Are there events or programs focused on coaching, technique, biomechanics and spotting?
  • Can I bring a gymnast or gymnasts with me?
  • Is it worth it for a new and fairly inexperienced coach to go?
If anyone can give me advice, or relay to me their past experiences with Congress I would be really grateful. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to pay an arm and a leg to go...

I want to attend the USAG National Congress in Pittsburgh this year. I'm interested in going for the entire event (all four days) because I want to attend as many clinics and presentations as I can, as well as being able to see the P&G Championships.

My questions are:

• If I want to attend the entire event, including clinics, seminars, presentations, as well as attending the competition, what would I be looking at money-wise? Can anyone tell me what they ended up paying if they've gone for the whole experience in the past?
  • I am not certified in anything yet as a coach. Is this an event that I can get certified at? Or will I need to be certified to even attend?
  • Are there events or programs focused on coaching, technique, biomechanics and spotting?
  • Can I bring a gymnast or gymnasts with me?
  • Is it worth it for a new and fairly inexperienced coach to go?
If anyone can give me advice, or relay to me their past experiences with Congress I would be really grateful. I'm hoping I'm not going to have to pay an arm and a leg to go...

I really have no idea of how much it will cost because I have not looked that up. You may see if you can room with someone. That is what I have done in the past.
I can tell you that lunch is on your own but they provide a continental breakfast and sometimes fruit. A lot of people I know have brought snacks and water with them and don't eat at the hotel. That is one of the ways to save money as hotel food/drink is expensive.
I think they take people who are not USAG members but you have to pay more. If you are a USAG member then you should do the 100 course anyway. You have to take that to coach at a meet.
There are courses on pretty much everything gymnastics. They are usually in three different rooms with different focuses. i.e. Judging/Coaching all three days then Rec/Preschool/Business/Psychology etc sharing the other room over the 3 days.
Minimum age to attend is 14 years. This is not a hands on type of education experience.
I think it is a great idea to attend! Education is the best way to understand it all and help you become a more well rounded coach.

I have only been to one National Congress because I usually attend Regional Congress. It was a really good experience and the competition was outstanding.

http://usagymcongress.com/registration/

Registration if you are a USAG member is $240. If your kids will be competing this upcoming year, you will need a membership anyway. If you are not a member, it is $350. Then you have to book a hotel room for the duration of the event, unless you are close enough to drive back and forth each day. It is expensive, but worth it. :)

I'm hoping to go as well, just need to survive off rice for the next few months to save up the funds. The host hotels are convenient, but typically a bit pricey as they are nicer chains. It also eliminates the parking issue. If you are traveling with someone you can split the costs. I think my plan, if I can manage to get there, is to stay a bit farther out and commute, but only if parking is not a huge expense (or public transit is available).
Tickets for Championships if you are attending Congress are $199 (all sessions) for lower-level rows 1-10 seating, $149 for lower-level rows 11+, $105 for lower level ends rows 6+. So not a bad deal, but it can all really add up with the $240 for Congress, extra fees for certain add-on courses, meet tickets, hotels, etc. Unless you have a really nice gym that is willing to help foot some of the bill!

It would be really nice to pay the discounted USAG member registration fee instead of the more expensive non-member fee. So, I'm wondering... what certifications would I need to become a USAG member and satisfy that requirement? Are they easy to obtain and can I do it in time before the competition or is it a lengthy process? And yes, I am going to start having my team compete in the fall/winter, so what are all the certifications I'll need? Is the U100 the only one?

Just a heads up. I won't be attending congress but will be attending championships to watch. We just booked our hotel and it is about 3 miles out of town but has a shuttle that will take you within 5 miles of the hotel. So that will save you parking if you look into that.

I went in 2007 because it was in San Jose so it was close. I didn't end up going to any of the meet sessions. Originally I was gonna volunteer in the morning but that fell through and they even offered free training in the early morning (better than a gym hotel IMO) but it was way too early for my schedule.

One thing I did was setup multiple video cameras in sessions I wasn't able to attend and collect them after the session I needed to most attend. I also went as a group with my gym.

You need a USAG Pro membership which is a pretty easy course to take online. You can take it in person as I did once but online is fine. A lot of it is no-brainer stuff. You might have to take a bunch of basic courses to get the USAG Pro which means you'll also need to do the Safety certification and background check. Both of these last 2 or 3 years.

It sounds like your team is starting out. ToBeHonest, most gyms or booster clubs generally foot the bill if you are the head coach. If you are a non critical coach ( non team coach ), they may only pay for a bit. Some gyms may pay for a daily stipend (BTDT) besides splitting a room with another coach and commuting.

In 07 we stayed down the street but there was a shuttle as the event hotel is generally pretty expensive.

I have a system where I look at every class offered per hour ( I think it's actually 75-90m blocks and generally 3 in the AM and 3 in the PM ). I rate the ones I want/need to go and sometimes you'll go to a session and figure out you need to go to your 2nd choice because the session is a rehash of other content they have talked about.

Also, network as much as you can. Go to the bar afterwards and chit chat with senior coaches and owners.

http://static.usagymcongress.com/wp.../03/2014-National-Congress-Prelim-3.17.14.pdf

I know or have attended sessions with about half of these speakers and all of the MAG guys or their content. When it starts coming closer to happening you'll see a schedule which will probably get amended a few times and possibly even amended the day of.

Are you MAG or WAG, TNT? Acro?

Take copious notes and if you can video. Feel free to PM as it gets closer for any advice on what to attend.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back