Parents Need advice from experienced parents--move up to level 5 or repeat level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sjm2b3

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! This is my first post and I am hoping to get some advice from the seasoned parents out there! My son is 7 years old and competed level 4 last year. He had a very successful season, won some events, did all the bonuses, and is pretty much ready to move on to level 5. However, the jump in hours is quite significant and I am questioning whether we are rushing things. He did between 4-6 hours a week during the level 4 season, and he will do 9 hours a week if we move up. The coach did say that he could drop back to level 4 if he needed to and the hours got too much. My question is whether you think he will be bored repeating the level that he already mastered. Otherwise, I guess we are looking at 9 hours/ week which seems like so much for a 7 year old. He LOVES going, and I can use it to motivate him in other things, like his chores, and school, but I don't want to burn him out either!! It is going to be hard to fit in other stuff, like soccer, etc. and we don't necessarily want him in just one thing. Thoughts? Thanks for any insight!!

I guess ideally there would be a non-competitive uptraining group that would go fewer hours. Our gym has a group that is training L4 and L5 skills but does not compete. I'm not sure if the boys who declined L5 team in favor of just training 4 hours/week, would enter at L5 again if they want to do team next year, or if they could test out of L5.

DS6 does 9 hours p/w in his Level 4 group (L4&L5 work out together, same hours) but he is home schooled. So you could look at home school or your public virtual academy as a school option, which really frees up a lot of time.

those hours sound normal for L5 - For boys gymnastics there are significant jumps in skills from one level to the other and it is not uncommon to repeat levels for 2 or 3 years. Unlike the girls gymnastics which really builds from one level to the next and has just a few harder skills (I have had a boy and a girl on team)

If he really loves the team and doing gymnastics you probably don't have to worry about burn out. You know your kid best but if he is going to be a gymnast this is the path and hours needed to proceed.

I think if you want to keep him progressing, you should take the plunge to L5 and its longer hours. You did indicate your son loves it. I was also initially shocked when I heard the hours required for our L4 team. My DD was also 7 and did not bulk at being at the gym for 9 hours. I think it helped her manage her time. She knew she had a certain amount of time to do her homework. So, she always did it within the time allotted. It certainly is good to introduce our kids to more things/sports, etc. So I think you are right in keeping his options open since he is still so young. However, I think keeping him at a level he already has mastered is a waste of money and I don't think it would be fun for him either. Would your coaches be amendable to training him L5 with modified hours, say 6 hours instead of 9? Of course, if you do this, his other teammates will progress faster since they are in the gym longer. I'd try it out for a few months and see how he adapts. If you think gymnastics may play an important role in your DS's life, then I would go to L5. A lot of gyms practice 9 hours for their L4 and L5. It is not bad at all.

It is always so hard, but I would say to follow your son's lead. My son just turned 9 and does about 10+ hours a week training level 5/6. He loves it and would go more and more given the chance would do more. But we follow his lead. When he needs a day off, we take it. If he wants to go more, we go. He did decide after level 4 to give up soccer and wrestling and just do gym. If he loves it, he will totally enjoy more time in the gym, learning new skills and progressing.

Good luck!

I agree it can be a bit worrisome each year when the amount of time in practice goes up. My son is now a level 6 and will be going from 12 hours in the summer to 15 in the fall, and I am again needlessly nervous that it will be too much for him. I have to keep reminding myself that each time the hours have gone up, I worry, but it always works out! Chase even feels worried he may not be able to handle the extra hours with school and homework, but he always adjusts quickly, as do all of the other boys in his group. He loves it so much, and moving up and the extra hours allow for learning new skills, which seems to breathe fresh air into his workout, and makes him excited again about gymnastics. I would say to let your son try level 5 for a while, and I bet you will see his love for gymnastics grow even more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back