Need information before making reservations for 2012 Olympic Trials in San Jose

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

O

oalayeto

My husband and I are planning to attend the Olympic Trials in San Jose. We have no experience in attending gymnastic competitions. We are looking at All-Session ticket packages for $250, $310 and $525. Does anyone have any experience with these seating levels? Also, does anyone have a strong suggestion for one of the nearby hotels? Thanks in advance, O.

Book any hotels that you still find available. Look at the arena on the map and look at the nearest hotels, google maps is great for this. No idea about the arena, but if you want a paid guide, I am up for the job, LOL. I wish I could go with you to! If I were to buy tickets I would choose seats close to the floor and bars as they are my fav apparatus.

As someone who has been to many an event in the HP Pavillion I can tell you that even for gymnastics, there really isn't a bad seat in the house. This arena was built specifically for hockey so the sections are steep and high to give a good view of the ice. It is one of the most beautiful arena's around and it is well taken care of. Even if you're on one of the ends, don't fret as there is an enormous, state of the art jumbo tron. Looking at that screen is like watching it live the picture is so clear. Bring a jacket to this arena, even when the arena isn't set for hockey, most people still say it runs on the cold side... Of course most of those people are locals who are notorious for being weather wimps. 50 degrees is seriously cold man, like get out the scarf and gloves!

As for the area surrounding the arena, you are within walking distance to downtown San Jose which houses an enormous convention center so the hotels are abundant. The Marriott San Jose on South Market St. is connected to the convention center and it's just lovely. It's probably about a 15-20 minute walk from there to the arena. The Hilton San Jose on Almaden is also beautiful though it's a longer walk from there to the arena, though still quite manageable. At the end of July it should be just gorgeous weather for a nice long walk in the evening anyhow, so don't let the walk phase you.

That being said my assumption is that all of the downtown hotels will already be booked so you may have to look closer to the airport and drive to the arena. Again don't fret as there are signs everywhere directing you to the Arena so you'll have no trouble getting there. If you have any other questions feel free to message me and I can share my knowledge.

I just purchased tickets for my two daughters and I to go and I found that the HP Pavillion has a feature on their site that allows you to get a "view from your seat." I agree with Sharks that there wasn't a "bad" seat, but this is also doubling as birthday presents for my daughters, one of which will be turning 9 on the final day of the trials. We opted for the $525 seats.

The $525 seats have the added bonus of a "gold level" program and gift, for what it is worth. I was actually considering the platinum level seats because you get a meet and greet with the gymnasts, but the extra $1,200 was hard to swallow. I explained to my girls that they should bring a poster or leos and sharpies just in case they have the opportunity for autographs, but no guarantees.

We booked last Thursday, the day before tickets went on sale to the public via a code provided from our gym. We also booked our room at the Arena hotel at the same time. It is 2 blocks from the pavilion. It is geared more toward convention goers, so no pool, but I figured we may not need a rental car that way. We got a deal on the room when I mentioned we were coming for the trials, and the people were very helpful.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back