New bars skills to work on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When we are on bars, we do stations. On the main bars (the only set we have with a high and low bar), we work on routines and harder skills that we need a spot on (I work on my kip there with my coach). There are two other bars for skills, and two more for conditioning. On one of the other skills bars, there is usually a coach there working with us on drills. On the other bar, it is almost always free choice (whatever you want to work on). The thing is, I don't know what I should work on now. I have a front and back hip circle with good form. I have a shoot through, mill circle, cut back. I got bored and taught myself a double back hip circle. Then I was bored again and taught myself a double front hip circle. Now what should I work on? The only other skill my level (level 5-6) that I don't have that I can think of is a kip, and that bar is usually too short to do kips on. Anyone know any other skills I could work on/teach myself? I am thinking maybe a clear hip circle? I have never done one before and don't really know how to do one right, so is it safe to work on by myself? Or maybe work on getting a higher cast to handstand? Again, we don't work on those, so is it safe to do by myself? :confused:

you can do drop kips on a lower bar (depending how low it is). they are very hard even for someone who can do a kip, so that could keep you busy for a while

How is the bar too low to work on your kip? I have always found that working my kip on a bar that seems ridiculously close actually helps, because it forces you to hold your legs up and straight, giving better form, and less space to move through to get your legs to the bar. You could always look at working on clear hip and casts are always good to work on

Not all single bars are adjustable. We had a single bar that was lower than our shortest set. Short enough that I could probably reach the bar sitting down so there was no way to kip on it.

I'd vote for drop kips.

i would probably just stick with working on good form for your casts and getting them higher, fhc cast right away and squat on and pike ons are fun to work on by yourself as long as you have a mat under you. with anything else, it will be very easy to develop bad habits that you will find tough to break in the long run!

i would probably just stick with working on good form for your casts and getting them higher, fhc cast right away and squat on and pike ons are fun to work on by yourself as long as you have a mat under you. with anything else, it will be very easy to develop bad habits that you will find tough to break in the long run!

Good point. That is a good idea, I can put skills that I already know together into combinations, like that, or fhc cast bhc. I also may see if drop kips work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back