New cycle (with level changes) in two years?...Or next summer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
I assumed that the new 8 year cycle with all the level changes that everyone keeps talking about will take place in the summer of 2013 (two years from now). However I have read several posts with people talking about the changes next year. Can someone clarify, we do have 2 more competition years before the level changes will go into effect as well as the prep op (Excel) going National, right?

But I believe that the change from Prep Op to Xcel is next year, correct?

You guys in the US should count yourselves lucky. I can't believe you have 3 years to hear about and debate your changes.

In Australia the code and the levels system changes all the time. It changes every year and sometimes a lot. Then as people complain about things and put forward idea's it may change mid season as well.

One year a few years back the entire code and competition expectations changed 3 times in the one year. We don;t get notice we just get an email saying the skills have changed.

From what I understand, a lot of clubs are already anticipating the changes and starting to incorporate some of the changes in their training, communicating w/the parents about how the changes will impact the levels, etc. Prep Op/Excel have nothing to do w/the JO changes.

From what I understand, a lot of clubs are already anticipating the changes and starting to incorporate some of the changes in their training, communicating w/the parents about how the changes will impact the levels, etc. Prep Op/Excel have nothing to do w/the JO changes.

What is the Prep Op/Excel changes? We were going to start Prep Op this year....Any help is appreciated!

I think some states and regions are beginning to use the term Excel now (for Prep op) and some may be starting to adopt the changes now, but the women's program committee decided to have Excel go national with uniform guidelines at the start of the new cycle, to coincide with the August 2013 changes for everything else. Sydsmom, it just depends on where you are if there are any changes for you now. In Region 8, they are keeping the same prep op rules from last year for this upcoming season but they are beginning to use the term Excel (with clarifications as always).

From what I have read here and other places, I am pretty clear on the changes to the compulsory but has optional changes been released yet? Theoretically, dd would be competing L8 in 2014 (2013-2014 season, when the changes happen, right?).

gymgal, My understanding is that the current L8 minimum requirements will become the new L7, and the new L8 will be between what is now L8 and L9. If you look at the similar threads under this thread, there is a link in the proposed changes thread.

thanks gymtiger. I remember seeing everything for the compulsory but i must have missed the optional part. That makes sense to "add" a level between 8 and 9. That appears to be a big jump for a lot of gymnasts. with many needing to repeat 8.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back