new level 8 requirements for 2013-14?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Has there been any more information dispersed regarding what the new L8 requirements will be? We pretty much know the other levels but no word on L8 yet.

I haven't heard anything but don't we have until Sept of 2013 before they compete the new levels?

yes, fall 2013 for the new requirements. I was just curious. DD will likely be caught in the L8 mix - she will compete L7 next season and then question will be will she be able to jump to the new L8 or "stay" in L7. I figured since they were now done with the compulsory level new requirements, we'd hear about the optionals soon....

My DD is in the same boat and I'm wondering if there will be any special compensations for those girls caught right in the middle of that change. I've also heard that the "new" level 6 (similar to the current level 7) may become "opitonal" as in "you may not have to compete this level if you are ready to move on to the next one/no required mobility score." Which, of course, our daughters won't have the option of doing since they are competing 7 this coming season, before the change. Not that I'm saying that my daughter is/will be ready to just "skip" 7, or that she will be ready to move to the "new" level 8 at the end of this next season (which sounds like it will essentially be in between current levels 8 and 9, right?) at the end of next season. But to me it does seem like the girls who are level 7's during the 2012-2013 season will be getting the shortest end of the stick when the changes happen. I trust her coaches to do what's best for her, but they're likely to be trying to get a handle on all of the changes too. It will be interesting to watch this as it unfolds.

my understanding is there will be a few changes to level 6/7 and very few to levels 8-10. i know there will be 2 levels 8s. one that is similar to the current code, and one that wil allow Cs to be more of a bridger to level 9.

my understanding is there will be a few changes to level 6/7 and very few to levels 8-10. i know there will be 2 levels 8s. one that is similar to the current code, and one that wil allow Cs to be more of a bridger to level 9.

From what I have read, the new 6 will be very close to current L7. And the new L7 will look like current 8 with maybe a little bit less difficulty. L9 and 10 are supposed to remain the same so that leaves the new L8 in question. I am guessing for bars they will likely require a release move, where as right now they can use a pirouette instead. But I'd like to see what else on the other events.

It sounds like we are hearing the same things. Let me also say I am no one that is in the know. Merely the dreaded "bleacher talk".
Have heard 6's will be optional, there will be the creation of a Level 8.5 for lack of a better term to help with the rrasition to 9, and the addition of a Level 11 to bridge the gap to elite level.
I also thought this was happening for the upcoming season.

Will be anxious to hear more.

All so confusing. I think the last time there were some changes, like taking back tucks on beam and double back off bars out of level 8, we had some girls "caught" in that switch. They moved to L9 since they were already performing those skills at L8. I am not sure what they needed to add for L9 though.
As far as a comment made about release moves on bars at L8, it can already be done, but maybe they will change it to needing to be done? Our gym does not usually do pirouettes for L8. They typically require straddle backs. My DD is moving to L9 next season so hopefully there won't be too many changes for her.
I do feel for those who will get caught up in all this.

I have heard nothing about a "level 11." It is my understanding that the PROPOSED changes for 5 optional levels will go something like this:
New level 6- beginner optional- only 1 B skill. Current 7 requires 2 B skills. Also, current 7 allows some UB C skills to be performed at B value. I understand this will not be an option.
New level 7- advanced beginner optional- 2 or 3 B skills and some C skills will count toward B value. Current level 8 requires 4 B skills and gives some B credit for C skills.
New level 8- intermediate optional- 4 B skills and one C skill allowed per event for B credit. Similar to current level 8, but only allowable C skills presently are dance and certain UB skills.
New level 9- Beginner optional- unchanged. 4 B skills, 1 C skill and 1 D/E skill for C credit.
New level 10- advanced optional- unchanged- 3 B skills, 2 C skills, and bonuses awarded for difficulty and connections.

I think a level 11 is absurd. Competing at a qualifying compulsory meet for elite level and getting the score required to compete at optional qualifier is sufficient enough to see if one is ready to go elite.

So, any opinions on what will be the most common route for those who compete and do well at current level 7 this upcoming year? Do you think most will then compete a full year at new level 7? Or is the step from current level 7 to new level 7 not going to be much of a step up? Of course, I realize that plenty of girls spend multiple years at current level 7, so there's no predicting where my DD could be come August of 2013. Heck, by then she may have decided that she wants a life and will have moved on. Just trying to predict the future.

So, any opinions on what will be the most common route for those who compete and do well at current level 7 this upcoming year? Do you think most will then compete a full year at new level 7? Or is the step from current level 7 to new level 7 not going to be much of a step up? Of course, I realize that plenty of girls spend multiple years at current level 7, so there's no predicting where my DD could be come August of 2013. Heck, by then she may have decided that she wants a life and will have moved on. Just trying to predict the future.

I think alot of this will depend on vault - I'm not sure what the vault changes will be but that was certainly the hardest step from 7 to 8 in this current cycle (at least for my dd). I would think alot of repeating 7 and repeating 8 - just to learn how the new levels are going to iron out. My little dd may be caught in limbo during the level changes, but on the 5/6 side - she will be a 5 next year and our gym doesn't currently do more than one meet of 6, so I'm curious to see what they do with her and the other 5's.

My personal opinion is that if a girl is successfully competing at level 7 for this coming season, 2012-2013, that she will be more than ready to progress to the NEW level 7 provided the changes are similar to proposed changes. It would mean the addition of possibly 1 B skill max.
I know this is an Olympic year, but I imagine that at National Congress some firm decisions will be made based on survey results and what not. I'd be willing to bet that all of our questions will be answered by this autumn so that coaches can go to their regional congresses next spring and be somewhat prepared.
I agree with you about not knowing what the future will bring- and I, too, like to be prepared. As the parent of a little one who will probably be transitioning into optionals when the changes occur- I could not be more thrilled. Especially if the proposed changes come to fruition. I think it will be a much easier transition out of compulsories and up through the levels.

I think alot of this will depend on vault - I'm not sure what the vault changes will be but that was certainly the hardest step from 7 to 8 in this current cycle (at least for my dd).

I agree- if only there was a vault between the handspring and the Tsuk or Yurchenko. I know some gyms just do not like/coach the handspring or 1/2 on or RO entry with twist flight phase, but I honestly cannot see what else one could do. I would rather see a Yurchenko timer competed that to gasp when I see a gymmie chuck the real deal. Safety should trump start value, imo.

New level 6- beginner optional- only 1 B skill. Current 7 requires 2 B skills. Also, current 7 allows some UB C skills to be performed at B value. I understand this will not be an option.
New level 7- advanced beginner optional- 2 or 3 B skills and some C skills will count toward B value. Current level 8 requires 4 B skills and gives some B credit for C skills.
New level 8- intermediate optional- 4 B skills and one C skill allowed per event for B credit. Similar to current level 8, but only allowable C skills presently are dance and certain UB skills.

hmm... So in level 6, if a gymnast does a a clear hip to handstand because she is uptraining the handstand and doesn't have good control yet, will she get a deduction? This has happened to dd a few times this year, but she is prep-op and it just counts as a B.

So, no new "requirements" for L8, only more options to perform higher skills? Of, course, I am sure in order to place well in the new level, you will need to "up" the level of difficulty. But from this description, it really appears that the new level 7 is the one that is getting changed more than the new 8.

I suppose we will have to wait until the final changes are made. I was just wondering if any more had been noted in the past couple months...

interesting discussion, regardless.

My personal opinion is that if a girl is successfully competing at level 7 for this coming season, 2012-2013, that she will be more than ready to progress to the NEW level 7 provided the changes are similar to proposed changes. It would mean the addition of possibly 1 B skill max.

I can't speak for Mary, but my question relates more to whether dd would be able to go to the "new" level 8 and not go to the "new" level 7. I'm confident that if dd progresses as she has been, she would be ready for the next level after 7 (which would be the new level 7). The question is whether she would be able to make the jump from the current level 7 to the new level 8. If what you provided is close to what will happen, it looks like it would be quite possible. Of course, that depends on a lot - injuries, fears, training, etc...

I honestly don't know what a clear hip to hand will look like when the cycle changes. Currently it is allowed at level 7 but counted as a B, I believe. It is my understanding the whole reason for the additional optional level was to bridge the gap between current 8 and current 9. There is a HUGE difference in allowable skills, and those level 9's want to get to Easterns/Westerns, so they need to be competitive and clean. I think this is intended to make the transition safer progression wise.
I am definitely looking forward to the end product of the discussions and surveys. Perhaps I am the only parent who is tickled pink and not terribly concerned with the changes. I was coaching when the old "class" system changed to the current level system. Now THAT was a change!

hmm... So in level 6, if a gymnast does a a clear hip to handstand because she is uptraining the handstand and doesn't have good control yet, will she get a deduction? This has happened to dd a few times this year, but she is prep-op and it just counts as a B.

So, no new "requirements" for L8, only more options to perform higher skills? Of, course, I am sure in order to place well in the new level, you will need to "up" the level of difficulty. But from this description, it really appears that the new level 7 is the one that is getting changed more than the new 8.

I suppose we will have to wait until the final changes are made. I was just wondering if any more had been noted in the past couple months...

interesting discussion, regardless.

Yes, this is what I'm wondering as well... If there may be some sort of provisions made in this transition year for gymnasts to be able to move between "old" 7 and "new" 8, if coaches felt they were able. Of course they could score out of "new" 7 but I don't know if that's as easy to do in optionals when it means, at the very least, changing/adapting choreography. I really have no feel for how much work that would entail, on the part of the gymnast or on the part of the coach/choreographer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back