WAG new symptom of plantar fasciitis? or something else?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
My 7 yo dd was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis a few months ago. For her the pain is in her arch, not her heel.

Last night at the end of practice (3 hour practice, she was ending on vault) she said that her heel was really, really hurting. It isn't really the bottom of the heel, rather the back of her leg/ankle/heel. A few inches up the back of the heel. Does that make sense?

Last night she said it was painful enough at times to make her want to cry. She quit running around; but it walking on it OK. This morning she got out of bed and immediately started complaining about it.

I told her to start back wearing her x-brace. She is also wearing her sneakers. I gave her an ibuprofin and wrote a note for her to sit out of PE and recess today and tomorrow.

As I said, she is walking on it; but not running. She says that walking hurts some; but running or jumping hurts a lot.

Does this sound like it is just another symptom of her plantar fasciitis? Or something new? I figure that if it continues to be a problem for another day I'll take her to the orthopedist; but I'm wondering if I should be more worried about it...

I'm not a Dr. And of it continues I'd definitely get it checked out to see if it's just another facet of her diagnosed condition! But, I'm pretty sure "high ankle sprains" may hurt and happen in the area you're describing. I'd ice and elevate just to be sure., and yeah, ibuprofen for inflammation. The brace is a good idea for a few days, for a lil extra support.

I have Plantar fasciitis and the pain never goes beyond the bottom of the heel - I have however had an Achilles tendon problem and that is the area you describe - back to the doctors !

I have Plantar fasciitis and the pain never goes beyond the bottom of the heel - I have however had an Achilles tendon problem and that is the area you describe - back to the doctors !

I swear, between the 3 kids I should just keep a standing appointment. :eek:

So... for this one... normal pediatrician or pediatric orthopedist? I don't have to have a referral... (and she already has one that she has seen for plantar fasciitis and for a sprained ankle last year.)

I swear, between the 3 kids I should just keep a standing appointment. :eek:

So... for this one... normal pediatrician or pediatric orthopedist? I don't have to have a referral... (and she already has one that she has seen for plantar fasciitis and for a sprained ankle last year.)

I asked the ER nurse on Monday how many times we were allowed in before they reported me to child services, as my 15 year old happily told the radiographer that he had had 7 x rays, sigh

haha Margo every visit to A & E with a minor is logged with your health visitor. I need a standing appointment too!

well that's up the creek without the proverbial then isn't it ! With his rugby, her gym and middle ones delight in throwing himself off stationary objects being a superhero we have our own parking spot ! Not to mention hubbie and his tools!

I am convinced my girlfriend has a standing weekly appointment with her pediatrician. She has four kids with five year old twins that are just starting gymnastics ( so no gym injuries yet) but they used to stick various objects in places where they don't belong (Just how far can you get carpet foam up your nose? far enough that mom can't get it out). They also get every illness and infection that goes around.

Thanks for all of that info ALSB. I'm going to look into all of that.

I did end up taking her to the ortho. She has previously seen an orthopedist for the plantar fasciitis and for a sprained ankle. But that office wouldn't answer their darn phones. It was nearly an hour past the time when they were supposed to start answering and I gave up and called the office that my son sees (basically both pediatric orthopedist practices in our area have very similar logos and I accidentally got them started with different practices; but had planned to just leave it that way since each knew that kids' history). That practice got her in that day (Thursday).

Her first ortho had commented on how high her arches are and that she has a LOT of flexibility for flexing her toe back towards her leg (yay :confused:- I don't think that ever comes in handy!). This doctor noted that too and said that her arch is high enough that he thinks these two things are actually what causes her pain. He thinks that her arch pain and now heel/ankle pain are due to these two things rather than plantar fasciitis. It is her Achilles that is now hurting. He wants her to have prescription arches made, wear her sneakers most of the time, and do some physical therapy. She starts the PT on Wednesday and sees the doctor again in 6 weeks to see if it is better. He said he didn't see any evidence of Severs, so at least that is good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back