New with a crazy 5 year old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

patches lee

Proud Parent
Finally talked my other half into letting my 5 year old do gymnastics. Her preschool teacher told me I "had to do something" about her at school. During play time she climbed onto the playhouse roof to balance of course scaring the lady to death. Flipping over a trapeze bar okay normal kid, doing rolls on the floor normal. But walking roofs getting a little crazy. So I've taken her to open gyms at the Girls Inc. for the past 4 weeks just to let her have fun and see how interested she is. Her dad still didnt agree to sign her up until a few days ago cause he "didn't really like them". She had seen an older girl doing a hand stand and has been trying to teach herself at home. Her dad has watched her for 3 days straight wake up, eat, then start "practicing". I come home the second day from work he had put a piece of duct tape one the floor for her to follow when she was trying to tumble. He made the mistake of telling her that she just needs to get stronger to hold herself up when ...... she grabbed hand weights from our closet lol. Guess that changed his mind.

Welcome... and good luck. We STILL have trouble with the whole "let's see if we can do this" and have been in the gym for almost 8 years. Younger gymmie was enrolled at 17 months (1 month early according to the age rules at our gym)... because she was climbing door jambs and hanging on the top frame. She would hang on bars at the park and try to get on top of them and walk across... AT 17 months old!!!! NOT, I repeat, NOT something I see as safe!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of gymnastics! Unfortunately the crazy may never go away! Even at age 18, I still did a lot of things that gave my coaches gray hair. Looking back I can see how dangerous that was but at the time I could not.

haha..sounds like my daugher! Even when I was pregnant with her I knew she was going to be a gymnast. I swear she used my spine as the uneven bar and my bladder as a vault lol..She also was (and still is) a climber..door frames, tops of play sets, handstands everywhere...etc..We enrolled her at 5, which at that time was the youngest...now they have mommy and me gym classes...she is now 7 (almost 8) and still going strong.

Same here! DD started walking at 9 months and using the back of my couch as a balance beam at 10 months! Has always been on the small side. That's probably the understatement of the year as she is about 42 inches tall and will be 8 in about a week! Dad sd she was too small to participate in the sports big sister and big brother played in. Mom (me) secretly enrolled her in gymnastics the day after she turned 3! Now, she's our most serious athlete, a new level 5, TOPS team member, and Dad is ecstatic! Her 5 year gym anniversary will be a week from Sunday!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back