WAG Next step for stalders

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a couple girls playing around with some stalders and they are coming along faster than I expected. I'm unsure of how to get them from a simple swing under the bar to actually doing the skill. They go from a jump off a block, lifting the heels back at the beginning and dropping under the bar to straddle and just letting it swing up. They can also do them spotted on strap bar. What are the next steps? How do I get them feeling comfortable dropping from handstand?

I stand on a block and hold their feet so that they are in a 90 degree piked handstand (their bellies are towards me). Then I let go and let them drop into the stalder.

Several things to work on here.
1Put a block under the bar that is bar height, (off to one side). Have them practice kicking to H stand and doing a stalder drop to toe shoot. (extended drop to snap toes on the bar, feet together).
2. What gym Junkie said
3. have them start kip straight body cast to stalder drop, spot the other side.
4. we do 10 stalder drops and 10 toe shoot drops on a floor bar every day, with my level 5,6,7,8's . Start these from a pushup, then from a H stand. When you do the stalder drops, tell them to lift each leg 3 times after they land on butt. (working the hip flexor strength).
Spend a few days on 1-3 (then repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat) , do #4 every day.

I would get it unspotted on strap bar, I think the missing progression link is there. If they can't go around unspotted from a jump on strap bar, start with straddle toe circles and they can start taking one foot off, then the other, then two as they go around. Then they do the two feet off and go into a clear straddle circle (with some momentum from the toe circles), then start bringing it up. Then go on strap bar jumping to a cast position from something bouncy, circle around return to bouncy surface, repeat. When they get better they can start jumping higher and closer to handstand. Then they will probably ready to try from a cast handstand combined with the floor dropping drills. Tammy Biggs also has them drop in at the top of a wedge and roll down it. You could do all this regular bar, but since you said they're still spotted on strap bar and it will be easy to do on strap bar, it seems like starting unspotted there would be logical.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back