WAG no Front Handsprings in L7???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

when I started gymnastics I picked up the skills very quickly. when we learned front Handspring's and bounders I had a very easy time with bounders but the front handspring took a lot longer! So while the others trained front Handspring's I did bounders. I can do a good bounder on floor now and I can connect bounder to front pike on AirTrack.
I CAN do a front handspring but I don't push off my arms at the same time and it just looks ugly, and aaaahh, I HATE them! I feel much more comfortable with a bounder, and getting more speed, although I know it's harder to connect skills!

I am sure that if I would work on front Handspring's I would definitely get a good one sooner or later but I am not sure if I should do that, because in the end I will always to bonders because I also think it looks cooler.

I also need to add that I am not aiming for anything - I just want to enjoy myself at around L7!

Looking forward to your advice!

We are brand new to optionals so I'm not sure what I can add, but I will say that we have several 7 and up at our gym and NONE of them do bounders. I'm not sure if this is just coach's preference (7s do FHS-FT; 8s do FHS-FT-FT or FHS-FLO; 9s do FHS-Full). They do bounders in drills practice, but I've never seen one of them do it in competition, though.

A FHS is not required at L7. I haven't seen anyone do a FB-FT or FB-FP, most likely because they would be very difficult to connect without a boatload of deductions. Think about what you want to do going forward -- from what I have seen, some girls find it easier to do layouts and twists from a FHS, but some don't. Do you see yourself moving forward in L8 to a FLO-FT or FLO-FP? That could work well as a double salto pass and then upgrade to twisting in L9.

A FHS is not required in level 7, so you could do a Bounder-FT or pike. I believe it's actually a B. However, what level are you now? Have you competed 4 or 5 yet? Are you planning to petition to 7? (I'm assuming you're old enough since you're on here (minimum petition age is 14/freshman in HS). Though I believe prior competitive experience of some kind is required. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.) If you will be competing 4 or 5, you need to work front handsprings. They're a major skill in the compulsory routines & rack up a lot of deductions easily if performed poorly. But, if it works for you & level 7 is your ultimate goal, a bounder will work :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back