Parents Note to visiting gym mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
Hey, we (other parents) are thrilled you're checking out our gym. We're a bit confused that you spent so much time looking through the glass belittling our children's skills and our coaches' technique. We get that it's a sport where people can get a little competitive, but we're people and you're talking about little girls. That one you said shouldn't be out there? Well, she just finished level 5, is skipping 6, and is now training for level 7, so you're right that she doesn't have all the skills yet. Her dad was 6 feet from you when you said that. That one you said was a wreck on bars? She won state three days ago. Her mom was 5 feet from you when you said that. Exactly who did you think the other people in the lobby were? Random people seeking shelter from the cold? Perhaps you noticed that wherever you went, we moved away. It wasn't the most polite thing we could have done, but most of us were actually trying to not engage with you for fear that we'd lash out in response to all of your comments about our little girls.

If you end up coming to our gym, we're the people you'll spend a lot of time with. We'll carpool with you, dine with you, hang out with you at meets, banquets, parties, etc. We all get along pretty well, and we'd like to get along with you, too. Changing gyms is stressful, so we'll give you a pass for now, but we'd really rather the relationship start off on a different foot.

Probably she went home and said to her husband, "Well, the parents in the viewing room weren't very friendly!" :rolleyes:

OMG! another great post! bwahahahahahaha. gotta love those gym lobbys. lol.:)

Probably she went home and said to her husband, "Well, the parents in the viewing room weren't very friendly!" :rolleyes:
I tried to convince myself a few times to introduce/say something polite, but when I get annoyed, it's very hard for me to hide it and not let it come through. I'm one that needs to walk away (and generally to sleep on it).

Well, I guess that pretty much assures she won't be back, doesn't it? It's good that the HC cares more for the overall "good vibe" of the gym more than one potential monthly check.

Well, I guess that pretty much assures she won't be back, doesn't it? It's good that the HC cares more for the overall "good vibe" of the gym more than one potential monthly check.
He didn't do it because of what she was saying around the parents (no way for him to have been aware at that point), but because of what she was saying to him. The HC wasn't rude, but did systematically reduce her statements and arguments to rubble. As to whether they'll be back, I'd put it at 50/50.

At the risk of seeming like a "tattle-tale", I wonder if there would be a way to mention the viewing-room conversations to the HC. It sounds like, given what he experienced, he wouldn't have a hard time believing you. I wonder if she is looking elsewhere because she has made herself unwelcome at her current gym.

Given the attitude, they might be in the position of having to find a new gym. I hope for your sake this is not the case. I would want to know what is being said in the parent area in this case, if I was the HC. I would never judge someone on second hand info but it almost always helps to tie the all the warning signs I have witnessed together.

At the risk of seeming like a "tattle-tale", I wonder if there would be a way to mention the viewing-room conversations to the HC. It sounds like, given what he experienced, he wouldn't have a hard time believing you. I wonder if she is looking elsewhere because she has made herself unwelcome at her current gym.

You have either provided a history lesson or foretold the future of this cgm. I hope the coach figures her out and points her in the right direction........

The office manager heard parts of it. I'll leave that to her.

We've had one or two in the past come in with some serious cockiness, but turn out to be good teammates and decent parental company. Maybe some people just don't handle the stress of changing gyms well.

Given the attitude, they might be in the position of having to find a new gym.
The HC is old school in that he will call the other gym and talk to the owner/HC before accepting a transferred gymnast. He views it as a professional courtesy. He's also not shy about telling a family he knows why they got the boot from the other gym and that they're starting with two strikes. I don't blame him for it - it's his business and his livelihood that could be impacted.

hahahahahahahaha ^^^^^^^^^^ knew more than the head coach, did she? hahahahahahahahahaha...lol! :)

There's a hypothetical gym that takes anyone from our hypothetical gym without ever checking to see why. Nevermind that debt they owe of $100s and $100s, they're just hypothetically happy when anyone exits our hypothetical team. Nevermind if they're cgm, or gymnast or mom who claims it's just too hard at our hypothetical gym when they are the one who insisted their DD be moved up , even when hypothetical HC said they weren't ready. (seems that hypothetical HC knows what she's talking about). It's their hypothetical problem now, . And yeah, I've heard stuff like you described in the past. Why stick around and keep watching? Move along!

Wow. Was she just saying this stuff out loud to herself, or was she with someone else whom she was saying this stuff to? I can only imagine what she'd say about my DDs bars if she saw some of her practices :/. Was her daughter God's gift to gymnastics (GG2G ;)) to back up her attitude?

Wow. Was she just saying this stuff out loud to herself, or was she with someone else whom she was saying this stuff to? I can only imagine what she'd say about my DDs bars if she saw some of her practices :/. Was her daughter God's gift to gymnastics (GG2G ;)) to back up her attitude?
Both parents were there (I think - 1 male, 1 female). The man was quiet and never said a word.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back