Parents Now is NOT the time to get sick!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So munchie has been working very hard and we are all excited about the first optional meet this weekend.......until school called and sent her home with fever!!!!!!
Why does this always happen???? (Well, I know why.....the stress leading up to it takes its toll on their little bodies.....) and God forbid she miss practice right? So she went and made the best of it, but I took her out early because I wanted her in bed early.
So, sleep, rest and of course, she can't miss practice either!
We will see how she is today......
At least we have plenty of time before Sunday.
Please send vibes. :)

Ummm....now is the time to miss practice. DDs coach says to not come in if the kids have a fever. They don't all the kids getting it. And working out while sick is really not safe. So though I understand why you might want to go to practice, really staying home and resting is the best thing to do. IMO.

Hope she bounces back quick.

Yep, I agree, but the coach wants here there for bars. She is working on kip cast HS and he wants her there......
We left after bars yesterday......
I took my cues from her....she said she was fine, school said it was 99 which is low grade....but still it's something brewing.

I agree with MeetDirector, plenty of liquids and this season I've been stocking dd up on the apples and oranges one each daily.....good vibes are being sent to your dd. Keep us posted please.

Whenever my DD gets sick meet week (happened THREE TIMES this past fall... Thanks, new school!), I kept her home early in the week (school and practice) in hopes that she'd be as close to 100% as possible for meets.

Also, I was terrified she'd get her teammates sick and they'd all come down with it like the day before the meet.

Probably didn't help her long-term development as much, but she competed ok.

Your DD just doing bars probably didn't hurt anything, and 99 usually isn't a "fever" in the average person (though my DD and I both also run in low 97s, so for us, it would be), but I'd let your DD's overall symptoms/exhaustion levels guide how to proceed in regards to practice.

Hope she bounces back and is back to 100% by Sunday!

I feel your pain. My dd has a Vegas meet this weekend and her fever started Sunday and has been as high as 104. Missed gym Monday and Tuesday and is going to try to go today. I told her last week no illness until after our travel meet. Well that didn't work out as planned.

This happened to us last week but without the fever. Scratchy throat, couch and total congestion started Monday night but no fever. We went to the Dr, just in case, no strep.

Kept her home Tues & Wed and the finished out the rest of the week but she was still all stuffy and it was keeping her up. She competed Saturday and while not her best meet she came in 4th and had a good time.

Sending good vibes your way.

I would get her to the doctor, b/c if it's something that can be treated (not just a virus) it's better to start sooner rather than later. Strep and flu tests will show up positive even very early on and they can check her ears/lungs/sinuses to see if there is infection. If it's just a plain old yucky cold there won't be much they can do, but if I know there is something going on during the week before an important weekend, I try to get to to the doc ASAP in case it's something they can go ahead and be treated for. We have the worst luck with timing too, my kids woke up with the flu the morning we were supposed to leave for Disney world a couple of years ago. They started Tamiflu and we had to postpone a couple of days and then they were good to go, some things like the flu are time sensitive, if you start Tamiflu within 48 hours of showing symptoms then it can greatly shorten the length of time they are sick.

I still can't for the life of me understand WHY meet season must be during cold and flu season....not only do kids get sick and have to miss meets, they are also being exposed to huge groups of other kids, using the same equipment, etc, it's a great way to spread those cold/flu viruses around!

I might have to stop typing now, my inner germaphobe is showing! lol :eek::eek::eek:

Sending good vibes, but please parents-- if your kid is sick please do NOT send them to practice. Don't risk having your kid get even worse AND getting everyone else sick.

I agree which is why my dd missed practice Monday and Tuesday. Today she's fever free and going to try and practice. Thursday is the last one before the coaches leave for Vegas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back