WAG Number of hours for level 1?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mouey77

Our gym competes level 1. The girls go two days a week for 3 hour practices. The gym is now wanting to add a third day of practice (2 hrs) for the girls before the first meet. I think the rationale is that this is a young team (6 yr olds) who have never competed before. Do other level 1's and 2's practice this much on average? I ask bc this is getting $$$!!! I know this is only going to increase exponentially if we stick with this, but starting to seem steep for level 1.

We don't compete L1 at our gym, but our L2s practice 6 hours a week with the option to do 9, but it isn't mandatory by any means.
At L3 9 hours is mandatory, but again they have the option to go for 12 hours if they want. Our gym sets it up so that if a certain day doesn't work for your schedule you have the option of choosing another one.

My DD has went 12 hours since last year when she competed old L3. She had just turned 6. She still begs for more hours but thankfully there isn't another increase in hours available to her until L5!

I think 8 hours is a little much for Level 1. My DD did not go 9 hours until (old) level 5. She did 5 hours in old level 3 and 6 hours in old L 4.

Too much. I'm not sure how they could not get level 1s ready on 6 hours a week. I'd expect 4 to really be all that's needed. We're talking about cartwheels, pullovers, forward roll on beam (is that still there?), and a kick to handstand and fall flat on a small mat. Our lowest level of preteam is working these skills on 2 hours a week. What happens as they progress? How many hours will you be looking at in a few years? This sounds like a recipe for burnout.

I saw a thread a couple of months ago about level 1 and 2 practice amounts but can't find it. I was thinking our practices sounded on the high end. The extra practice is optional but "strongly encouraged." Thanks!

Yes, CreateMagic. It's those skills. Most of the girls have them too, but maybe not "perfect." How hard is the judging for level 1 though? If they are going to practice that much, should they start teaching the level 2 skills? Or introducing them??

Yes, CreateMagic. It's those skills. Most of the girls have them too, but maybe not "perfect." How hard is the judging for level 1 though? If they are going to practice that much, should they start teaching the level 2 skills? Or introducing them??

I haven't coached at that level for a few years (we do xcel instead now--bronze is approx level 1 and 2), but I remember that judging was kind of a joke. There's no qualifications needed other than being a professional member of USAG, so essentially any coach could judge. I had a judge at one meet ask me if a child's score sounded right--it was his first time judging. I posted about it at the time. The girls were level 2, we practiced 3 hours a week.

Yes, if they are practicing that much, they should be working level 2 and 3 skills. As an example, my xcel girls practiced 5 hours a week last year, ages 5-10, mostly ages 6- young 7. All first or second year competitors. Most finished the year with front hips on bars, and several with kips, bhs on floor, vertical handstands on beam, and the old 4 (new 3) vault of handstand fall flat on 32" mat or higher. And all that without sacrificing basics--the skills are not all perfect, but they're where I would expect them to be progression wise.

Ideally, the focus of practice at that level should be strength, flexibility, and shaping. The skills will come easily as the kids gain strength and understanding of how their bodies move. Scores ARE NOT IMPORTANT and time that is spent nit-picking compulsory arm movements, etc is wasted time developmentally, in my opinion.

Does the gym have a plan as they progress? How successful is their team program in progressing girls at their own ability level? How long has the gym been open? What experience do the coaches have?

We don't have l1 or l2 teams, our l3 team practices 6hrs/wk (2 practices 3hrs each) and our l4 team practices 16hrs/wk, so quite a big jump. Our lower level tops girls go 4hrs/wk.

wow. 3 days/8 hrs for lvl 1?
we have a lvl 2 team now and they do 6 hrs. lvl 3 team does 9. my 6 yr old did 9-12 her first yr @ old lvl 4.
it's not the age group that makes me think it's too much. it's the reasoning. to prepare for competition because they haven't experienced it yet? well, until they actually experience being @ a meet, they still won't be prepared for its impact.
Yes, like others have said, if that extra time is being spent working on higher lvl skills, that makes sense. but otherwise, huh?

Our level 1s and 2s range greatly in ages from 4 to Pre teen. My DN is 4 and lvl 2 (will be 5 by winter meets she is scheduled for) and she goes 3 days for 8.5. She loves working out with the big kids and the big kids like to play "big sister" with the littles. There is lots of downtime in their practices with numerous breaks (her age group only-the older ones in her level have less frequent breaks) They also do lots of play/ exploratory games as well as dance. I believe the level 1s are on the same schedule minus an hour that is used for TOPs (same price for both and Tops is optional for the level 2s ages 4/5). In this type of set up she is so excited everyday of practice. If she were doing straight gym for 3 days and 8.5 hrs I would be concerned. But the games, dance, team building skills really breaks it up for me and she is thriving.

I would imagine the 3 nights could be a challenge for the school age child even with this set up...guess we'll find out next year

I haven't coached at that level for a few years (we do xcel instead now--bronze is approx level 1 and 2), but I remember that judging was kind of a joke. There's no qualifications needed other than being a professional member of USAG, so essentially any coach could judge. I had a judge at one meet ask me if a child's score sounded right--it was his first time judging. I posted about it at the time. The girls were level 2, we practiced 3 hours a week.

Yes, if they are practicing that much, they should be working level 2 and 3 skills. As an example, my xcel girls practiced 5 hours a week last year, ages 5-10, mostly ages 6- young 7. All first or second year competitors. Most finished the year with front hips on bars, and several with kips, bhs on floor, vertical handstands on beam, and the old 4 (new 3) vault of handstand fall flat on 32" mat or higher. And all that without sacrificing basics--the skills are not all perfect, but they're where I would expect them to be progression wise.

Ideally, the focus of practice at that level should be strength, flexibility, and shaping. The skills will come easily as the kids gain strength and understanding of how their bodies move. Scores ARE NOT IMPORTANT and time that is spent nit-picking compulsory arm movements, etc is wasted time developmentally, in my opinion.

Does the gym have a plan as they progress? How successful is their team program in progressing girls at their own ability level? How long has the gym been open? What experience do the coaches have?

I like the gym, but can't seem to lose my reservations esp as I read more and more on these forums. Gym has been around since 1980s. They may have one or two level 6-7's. They have an Xcel team, which I am lately considering asking them about as it might be a better fit in the future. The majority of the kids are level 1-2 and 3-4 (new levels). I'm not really crazy about their progression plan, as the kids only seem to progress one level per year. I have never seen any of the kids skip a level ever. My DD has some definite faults, but I am pretty sure she could train level 2. She is a rubber band and one of the most flexible kids I've seen. Her floor is closer to level 3 (pretty good ROBHS on the floor). Her form is not always the greatest--seems to me like she needs to be tighter, but my husband and I were thinking maybe the judging must be stringent and form is a big deal even at level 1. One coach is a former level 10 gymnast. Not sure about the head coach whom I think started a year or two ago. We will be paying over $2500 ( incl tuition, meet fees, etc) for level 1. Maybe this is typical.

Our gym starts at Level 2. That is new this year...last year Level 3 but now 2 with changes. The girls on Level 2 seem to be about 5 years old/Kindergarten age. They go 3 days/7 hours. Also, they do not compete outside of the gym. Just one in house meet as well as the meet our gym sponsors.

I think this is a fine way to ease in. They're 5!!

Our Level 3s go 12 hours a week/4 days. I think that's new this year. I feel like it used to be 3 days.

Honestly, if my daughter were 5 or 6, I would not have her go that much. In fact, I didn't! She didn't start competing until she was 10/Level 5!! She's done fine and is now training Level 9.

I think it's great fun for the young girls but a recipe for burnout! As it is, our 9/10s go 23 hours/6 days a week but I only let my daughter go 5. They need to stay healthy!

Just my 2 cents....but I feel like it's so easy to get sucked in very early and truth is it's a LONG HAUL!! The differences between Level 3 (cute hair styles priority) and Level 9 (please don't fall and break something) are huge! Enjoy it at Level 3, let your girls have breathing room and a life beyond the gym. Because sooner than you think, it will overtake your life and theirs!

It's pretty common in Australia. I am assuming you mean the new US level 1 which is equal to the old level 2 (abount the same as our level 2 in Australia judging by the skills you mentioned). We would have 6-8 hours a week as the norm in my area.

They may have one or two level 6-7's. They have an Xcel team, which I am lately considering asking them about as it might be a better fit in the future. The majority of the kids are level 1-2 and 3-4 (new levels). I'm not really crazy about their progression plan, as the kids only seem to progress one level per year. I have never seen any of the kids skip a level ever.

That's too many hours for level 1, in my opinion. There should not be a focus on scores at that level.

This gym may be fine for now, but if they do not have upper level optionals, you will need to eventually look around for another gym. I would be a little concerned about that...but, the fact that they "only" progress kids one level per year is, in fact, pretty normal. It's NOT common to be skipping levels, and it does not mean you're not in a good gym if you don't see kids skipping levels. Where did you get that idea?

I probably made it up in my mind. :-D
I see plenty of posts re: 6 yr olds competing new level 3/old level 4. I wondered if they were placed at that level based on skills even if they haven't competed before? Our current gym said that there is a "rule" that the kids can't compete USAG until they are 6 years old. So, when they held try outs for level 1 last spring, they wouldn't let kids younger than 6 try out regardless of skill and placed all the new kids who tried out on level 1. I am learning from the various posts i have read that there is no such rule, but they do have to be 6 by a certain date to compete level 3, correct?

At any rate, it does seem like a lot of hours based on these responses. For the money, I would rather her not compete and learn skills geared towards her ability instead of doing the level 1 routines over and over and paying extra for the third day. I don't think an extra practice will better prepare them for the meet experience. They just have to experience the meet itself to really "get it." Right?

I see plenty of posts re: 6 yr olds competing new level 3/old level 4. I wondered if they were placed at that level based on skills even if they haven't competed before? Our current gym said that there is a "rule" that the kids can't compete USAG until they are 6 years old. So, when they held try outs for level 1 last spring, they wouldn't let kids younger than 6 try out regardless of skill and placed all the new kids who tried out on level 1. I am learning from the various posts i have read that there is no such rule, but they do have to be 6 by a certain date to compete level 3, correct?

At any rate, it does seem like a lot of hours based on these responses. For the money, I would rather her not compete and learn skills geared towards her ability instead of doing the level 1 routines over and over and paying extra for the third day. I don't think an extra practice will better prepare them for the meet experience. They just have to experience the meet itself to really "get it." Right?

Right--they need to be 6 to compete level 3. They can compete level 1 at age 4. And yes, the only way to get meet experience is to go to the meet. Not more practice.

ok, I didn't realize when you meant "skip" levels that you were talking about the beginner levels - 1, 2, etc. CreateMagic is correct. Your gym may just have a rule that says they can't compete any level until they're 6. The highest level USAG allows at age 6 is level 3.

I feel that only the most exceptional 6yo kids can absorb training beyond 2 hr sessions and think there's got to be a point of diminishing returns. That's not to say the additional time can't be used and benefited from, but waiting until they're 7yo would see them taking in so much more of what's presented. In my mind that's an issue because children often form their own ideas to fill in the blanks caused when they don't understand something. That's going to cause poorly formed concepts leading to eventual problems as the level of work progresses. The solution then is to go back after figuring out what they don't understand and correct a few things along with all the quirks created by their ill formed concepts.

I also worry that eight hours of gym for a 6yo implies they are a long term gymnast as that's just about all they do beyond school, church activities, play time with friends, and just hanging out with the family. Pretty much, many of these kids become what they do and accept the implied role and responsibilities for much of their childhood.......

It's not a deal breaker, but it's something to keep in mind.

I see plenty of posts re: 6 yr olds competing new level 3/old level 4. I wondered if they were placed at that level based on skills even if they haven't competed before?

DD's first meet was when she was 7. She competed L5. So yes, she went several years at gym without competing the skills she'd learned, and they placed her in competitions based on her level at that time. At our gym, they don't compete until they are 7, regardless of what level they are at. They focus on learning as much as possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back