WAG Old School Compulsories (usgf/usag)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twisting007bigflip

Coach
Proud Parent
Does anyone have access to video of the usgf compulsory routines from like 1990? If you do, would you be willing to post it somewhere? I'm looking for the really old 5,6,&7 compulsories to show my girls during class. Was wanting them to see how different bars used to be. And the handstand press down from L6 beam with the aerial roundoff dismount...and that level 7 compulsory floor and beam was actually pretty hard...standing aerial cartwheel at the very end of the routine, anyone?

...I did find the old usgf level 5 several weeks ago posted on YouTube...was hoping to find level 6 and 7 also.

I've been able to find some randomly, of old meets. If you search the year of that cycle you could find some people's old home videos of meets

Was it more common back then to have a wide variety of ages on lower levels?she looks like a teenager and most level 5 meets you see on youtube nowdays would be a little kid.

I'm looking for ones even older. I'd like to see level 3 from the early 80s.

Back then it was structured differently...I think it was Class V, IV, III, II and I....I remember being around 5 years old and Class IV...I think. I have no idea what level that would be equivalent to now. Maybe level 3 or 4. My vault was a "squat through" or a "tuck through" on the vault horse. As far as the floor and beam routine, I can't really remember.

Was it more common back then to have a wide variety of ages on lower levels?she looks like a teenager and most level 5 meets you see on youtube nowdays would be a little kid.

I have no idea with the ages, but yes, I think the girl in the video is a bit older than the average YouTube aged level 5 kid, but then, YouTube level 5ers are usually on the younger side. I wouldn't consider what you see on YouTube to be an accurate depiction of average age/levels for gymnastics. There are plenty of level 5 kids over the age of 12

I was just surprised to see an older kid doing level 5, but thats why I was wondering because I always see really young kids doing high levels. Yes Thats why youtube isnt a good way to tell averages for age ranges

Back then it was structured differently...I think it was Class V, IV, III, II and I....I remember being around 5 years old and Class IV...I think. I have no idea what level that would be equivalent to now. Maybe level 3 or 4. My vault was a "squat through" or a "tuck through" on the vault horse. As far as the floor and beam routine, I can't really remember.

no, no. class 3 compulsories and optionals (level 5-6), class 2 compulsories and optional (levels7-9) and class 1 compulsory and optionals (level 10).

and there were 3 age groups only. 9-11 (childrens), 12-14 (juniors) and 15-18 (seniors).

this was the system 1988 and prior. the system changed after Seoul Olympics. :)

no, no. class 3 compulsories and optionals (level 5-6), class 2 compulsories and optional (levels7-9) and class 1 compulsory and optionals (level 10).

and there were 3 age groups only. 9-11 (childrens), 12-14 (juniors) and 15-18 (seniors).

this was the system 1988 and prior. the system changed after Seoul Olympics. :)

I definitely competed before I was 9...weren't there more levels? I was a teeny tiny way back then, so I really can't remember specifics...but I do know that when the system changed I competed a few meets at level 6, one meet in compulsory 7, level 7 state, i turned 9 right after state then moved into level 8 and competed that in the fall...my parents didn't get a video camera until after I was out of compulsories, so I have nothing of my own to show these kids...

I don't have any videos, but I remember competing back then (in the early/mid 90s).

I was an older-ish gymnast and you have to remember that back then we didn't have Excel/Prep-Op (I remember my coach talking about the awesome new program they were going to start and how excited she was about it), so in those dayssome of the kids that would today probably get streamed into the Excel program had no option but to compete in the JO levels.

I also don't remember L1 or L3 being a competitive level back then, it was 2, 4, then 5-10.

Some of the skills were really different. I remember doing that squat-through on L4 vault (I did a mean squat-through too, useless though that vault was!) and doing a round-off of the end of the beam somewhere there in the lower levels, although I did the current L5 dismount too so I can't remember exactly where everything fit. I think there was a cartwheel on the beam at L4? Funny thing is, even though my memory of the skills is fuzzy, if I think really hard about it, I can still hear bits and pieces of that compulsory music in my head!

Our gym didn't compete until level 5. The other "levels" were either recreational or developemental preparing for level 5. We did all the weird skills though too. I remember all those crazy vaults, I think the most horrible one was straddle through! And the awesome body wave on beam that seems to have made a comeback. I also remember doing some strange cartwheel/handstand thing on beam that ended sideways in the straddle.

Haha I remember that silly body wave on the beam too, which never, ever looked right. When I saw that thing had returned I briefly felt like it was 1993 again. Now if only they'd bring back the Charleston-step too! ;)

I definitely competed before I was 9...weren't there more levels? I was a teeny tiny way back then, so I really can't remember specifics...but I do know that when the system changed I competed a few meets at level 6, one meet in compulsory 7, level 7 state, i turned 9 right after state then moved into level 8 and competed that in the fall...my parents didn't get a video camera until after I was out of compulsories, so I have nothing of my own to show these kids...

if you competed prior to 1988, there were only 3 levels as i have already listed. there was also a level called AO or advanced optionals and was sporadic throughout the country. not every state did it. kinda like when "excel" got started.

as far as being 9, and before 1988, you competed in the 9-11 year old age group even though you were less than 9. :)

Found the older cycle of routines...class 3. Of course dunno is right. This IS the routines I competed before the switch to the new system

Class 3C State Meet 1987 - YouTube

Looks like the same user posted her first meet too, I found it very amusing after watching the state video. I would have been horrified if I saw it first. Nice to see the judges giving the routines what they deserves...2.55:eek: Huge improvement to the video you posted.

Wow, the class 3 bar routine is REALLY difficult. And she does it with almost no mistakes and gets 9.35 (of course I don't know what the angle requirements and such were, I guess).

Also, it's my understanding that it wasn't uncommon for parents to not even attend these meets.

I love that bar routine. She does it beautifully. And I love how they have all taken their hair down for the presentations. Hair was so important in the 80s. LOL

Floor was so much more flowing. I miss that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back