On and Off Mental Blocks- Only sometimes??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you have reasoning behind your mental blocks?

• Total voters

Clarecrazy

Gymnast
Hello gymnasts ;),
So I have been frustrated lately with a backwards mental block problem.
I have been doing gymnastics for almost three years and I competed RO-BHS-back tuck this past season. Before the season I had to have someone stand there when I did my back tucks. By mid season I did them on my own. However by the end of season I had to stopped training tumbling for a few weeks because of an illness. I competed my back tuck at my state meet but I needed to have someone stand on the floor because I became unconfident again. :(
It seems that I can do RO BHS back tucks with someone standing there, but without them sometimes I can't even do a RO BHS... I don't do back tucks on tumble track either.
I usually start out practices strong and can do RO BHSs, but by the end of practices or after too many repetitions I seem to suddenly stop and get mental blocks... Then I get mental blocks for just doing standing back handsprings. Sometimes I'll do RO-BHS-back tucks if I get a coach to first stand there for the back handspring and run along with me and then stand there as I do my tuck. It seems like connecting my first BHS to my RO and being aware I'm going to connect another skill onto that freaks me out the most. :eek: I'm not sure why but it's been frustrating lately not knowing when this will come and go... This has been an on and off process throughout the months.
What's really weird is that before and after practices I can do RO-BHS-back tucks and standing back handsprings in my house and in my yard, but once I'm at practice on floor I freak out and can't do the skills. o_O

Does anyone have any tips or advice for how to overcome mental blocks, why does this happen on and off again (is it because I get mentally or physically tired in one practice? :confused: ), and why can I do them at the beginning of practices but not towards the end? Is it all in my head? :| If you have any comments, questions, or answers please feel free to share them! :)

I think that you could be tired. I'm not an expert, but I had this problem too. I did so many back handsprings (50+) on tramp and tumble track, and then I started to lose it. I told one of my coaches and she said that I could be tired both mentally and physically. The fact that you can do it at the beginning and not the end leads me to believe that you are tired. Take it easy.

You have the skills, there's no doubt about it. You need to work your confidence up and not over do it.

I voted Yes I know why, but I wish there was a yes and no. Some of them I understand and some I don't. I like front tumbling because I feel like I have more control, probably why I have no back tumbling. Why I block on vault is a mystery though.

Thank you so much RisingGymnast! You've really helped me, and it's good to hear other people's point of views and theories! Thank you for the confidence booster and advice! Haha I'll opt for FHS-fronts any day over back tucks... XD

I also think you might just be tired. Try not to do too many and if you are getting frustrated or getting mental blocks go do something you are confident in and come back to it later. Like maybe go do some dance if you have that on the assignment for floor.

And just remember if you did it once you can do it again. Whenever i get mental blocks i just repeatedly say that in my head and go before i get anymore scared. And im a level 9 gymnast so dont worry everyone gets mental blocks

Awww, thank you so much KeepCalmTumbleOn for the encouragement and advice. I'll make sure to keep your words in mind! Thanks again ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back