WAG On equipment fall??? (Video included)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymgem05

Proud Parent
Is there such a thing? What is the deduction if so? DD claims it is .5, same as a complete fall.
She said the beam was brand new and there was too much resistance so her foot just quit turning! Lol. This was her second level 4 meet.

If USAG doesn't treat it differently than our system your daughter is right. Counts as a fall.

There is a such thing, which is a .5 deduction, but that's not what she did. It's .3 for grasping the beam to avoid a fall, but from this angle, it doesn't look like she even did that. She probably lost .1-.2 for brushing/touching the beam & .3 for the large wobble. So in total it was about a .4-.5 mistake, but she didn't fall on the apparatus. Also, she left out the pose after the swing turn and before the jumps :) Other than those little mistakes, her routine is gorgeous! She has beautiful form.

Thank you! She just told me she left out a couple things! I didn't even. Notice till she told me! This was a 9.175, so hopefully next time we can get in the 9.5 range! She's worked very hard on form this year!

Thank you! She just told me she left out a couple things! I didn't even. Notice till she told me! This was a 9.175, so hopefully next time we can get in the 9.5 range! She's worked very hard on form this year!
You're welcome! I think if she were to do the exact same routine without the wobble and missed poses, she'd easily be in the 9.5 range. The hard work is paying off! Good luck to her at her next meets!

In Canada we use the FIG scoring system so all falls, including on equipment falls are 1 point deduction. I've had kids grab the beam to stay on, and then fall completely off anyway and get 2 full points in deduction as they counted it as 2 separate falls. :mad:

Don't know about this one in particular (I'm not knowledgeable enough) but during one of her recent meets DD did something on bars during her L5 routine that she said counted as a fall even though she never came off the apparatus.

There's a difference between a fall on the apparatus and a hand down or grasp. Like Flippinam, I would say .4-.45ish in deductions for what she did in the video. Had she fallen on the beam, the full .5 would have been taken.
For bars, if a kid falls on the bar- like a fall forward after a kip or mill circle for example, the judge would take .5 for a fall on the apparatus. This is different from just tapping the floor on a skill, so similar to how it works on beam.

Thanks so much for the replies! I didn't feel like it was a complete fall. I'm still super proud of her! :) she competed level 2 last season and then only 2 level 3 meets. So this is a whole new world for her! :)

Reactions: sce
Eh, I think they would take .3 major wobble for that and possibly up to .1 "touch, brush, or hit on apparatus". Plus execution on the turn. You could fall on the beam, but it isn't that. Think splitting the beam. Either way it was a large deduction, just not technically a fall.

She has wonderful form!

Falling on the beam is the same as falling off the beam. one of my teammates straddled the beam in a meet and started falling under the beam so she spent a good 15 seconds fighting to get back up without touching the mat. She did manage to do it but she was so tired after that and still had most of her routine left and it didn't save her any points (it may have even lost her some extra?) But we had a good laugh about it.

Beautiful routine! I love her coaches reaction to the wobble in the background! She was certainly willing her to fight to stay on it. It'll only get better from here. Great Job!!!!!!

I know how you feel. Sometimes the equipment is an issue. There was something really weird about the set of bars at that meet back in dec. We watched half of the children slip off the bars. During that meet, my sister commented that she was once at a meet with a new beam and struggled through her whole routine. Your daughter did great though even with that mishap. Lovely as always!

Thank you all. AandAsmom this meet had all new equipment. The bars were off too. She said the settings didn't feel right, and they weren't chalky enough.
I guess that's just part of the sport! :). She said she can't wait for her home meet on her equipment!

Thank you all. AandAsmom this meet had all new equipment. The bars were off too. She said the settings didn't feel right, and they weren't chalky enough.
I guess that's just part of the sport! :). She said she can't wait for her home meet on her equipment!

Well if you go to any meet with an outside venue they're going to bring in mostly new demo equipment. Gyms generally hire equipment companies to provide the equipment for outside meets rather than loading up equipment at their gym and moving it. The equipment companies basically drive around the country on the weekends to set up equipment that is just used for meets (i.e. It doesn't "live" in a gym).

The kids always say "the bars are not right" or whatever. It is part of the learning process. And must be mastered to move to a higher level.

Well if you go to any meet with an outside venue they're going to bring in mostly new demo equipment. Gyms generally hire equipment companies to provide the equipment for outside meets rather than loading up equipment at their gym and moving it. The equipment companies basically drive around the country on the weekends to set up equipment that is just used for meets (i.e. It doesn't "live" in a gym).

The kids always say "the bars are not right" or whatever. It is part of the learning process. And must be mastered to move to a higher level.

I think you are right. These were 6 and 7 yr olds, so maybe it becomes less of an issue as they get older and used to competing. I wonder if grips would help when they are higher up? Not much you could do about a beam though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back