WAG Only 1 meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmomto2

Proud Parent
Has anyone only had 1 chance to qualify for States? Our gym is only doing 1 meet in our state. This means our level 4-7 have only one chance to qualify & that meet is in Dec.

We've always had two state qualifiers from Level 3-10. Our HC's goal is to have everyone qualify by the first meet. He usually is successful but if there is an injury or someone has not qualified, he has been known to add another state meet towards the end of the season. Perhaps your coach feels that is all his/her team needs.

Is it mid season? If you don't qualify, our gym will take the girls still needing to qualify another meet if there is still time. I've seen that happen. I'd ask to see how it works at your gym.

Dd's gym takes only girls who haven't qualified for State to an extra meet to give them one more chance to qualify toward the end of the season. I think the expectation is that most girls will qualify early on at one of the in-state meets, though.

That's a lot of pressure if the qualification score is relatively high - like if it's 34 a fall on beam could take someone borderline out of the running - a 32/33, not as stressful.

i thought any sanctioned meet in any state could count for qualifying?

Different states have different rules about what's necessary for a meet to count as a state qualifier. In some states, not every sanctioned meet is automatically a state qualifier.

I don't think it makes sense to compete at a ton of state qualifiers, but if there's only one and it's in December, that seems like a lot of pressure. Every state has some kind of petition system, but it seems like it would be an unnecessary pain for the coaches to run the risk of having to file petitions for the girl with the broken toe, the girl who had the flu on the day of the meet, the girl who had that completely weird episode on bars where she missed her squat on three times in a row, and the girl whose car broke down on the way to the meet. Much easier just to have them have one more chance to hit the score in late February or March, no?

Different states have different rules about what's necessary for a meet to count as a state qualifier. In some states, not every sanctioned meet is automatically a state qualifier.

I don't think it makes sense to compete at a ton of state qualifiers, but if there's only one and it's in December, that seems like a lot of pressure. Every state has some kind of petition system, but it seems like it would be an unnecessary pain for the coaches to run the risk of having to file petitions for the girl with the broken toe, the girl who had the flu on the day of the meet, the girl who had that completely weird episode on bars where she missed her squat on three times in a row, and the girl whose car broke down on the way to the meet. Much easier just to have them have one more chance to hit the score in late February or March, no?

i don't know that easier should be the goal... depends on the quality of the meets. i wouldn't want to go to a bunch in-state just to elimate some paperwork if there were better meets elsewhere. we're only doing one in-state for all of our optionals (and its our first meet of the season) so we can travel to some great meets with some tough competition. its worth it depending on what your goals are for competitions, i guess.

Ummm, as I said in what you quoted, "I don't think it makes sense to compete at a ton of state qualifiers."

I have memories within the last six years or so of two episodes in which a contagious disease (once strep and once H1N1 flu) ran through our girls' team the same weekend as our first meet, which was a state qualifier. Strep hit my daughter's workout group and the group below her pretty hard -- she made it through warmups and that was it for her meet, but the level below her saw three girls not make it to the meet at all, one quit halfway through, and another finish but have a bad day. In the epidemic around five or six years ago, H1N1 took down just about the whole L10 workout group in the gym over the course of two weeks, which included the meet.

It was certainly useful in both of those instances that everyone had one additional opportunity to qualify for states in early March.

Wow! We'll have eight! But NY is a crazy long season, so we are clearly the exception not the rule. But one? Yeah, that's tough! Good luck!!

i thought you had to have 2 scores to qualify for states? our gym hosted a qualifier meet at the end of our season for those who needed a 2nd score to go to states. no one else wanted to host it. it was very low key and last minute. but i think there are pop ups like that all over our state towards the end to try to get those girls to state.

I would assume if they don't qualify but get better by spring they will enter those kids in another local meet. I wouldn't stress about it right now.

I would assume if they don't qualify but get better by spring they will enter those kids in another local meet. I wouldn't stress about it right now.

Let's hope! HC has mentioned that will scratch an event if not ready but if there is only one chance, there's no hope with a scratch. We don't have qualifiers in our state.

Can you qualify from meets out of state?

Like here, you need to make the qualifying score at a USAG sanctioned meet, but it can be an out of state meet.

Can you qualify from meets out of state?

Like here, you need to make the qualifying score at a USAG sanctioned meet, but it can be an out of state meet.

No. We
have to qualify in our state at least 3 weeks before States. All of our other meets are out of state. L8+ can qualify in any state.

Ummm, as I said in what you quoted, "I don't think it makes sense to compete at a ton of state qualifiers."
fair enough, buuuut when most gyms only compete about 5 regular meets a season, any more than one does become a relatively large number of them.

Here in NY our gym's lv 6s have 8 possible meets before States, 4 of them are State qualifiers. But our season goes from Nov - May.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back