Open Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm just curious as to how everyone's gym runs "open gym." We allow anyone, even if they've never done gymnastics before, to come. Also, there is kids of all ages. We end up with little toddlers running and jumping around nearly getting run over by higher level gymnasts. Then of course there's the local cheerleaders coming to just throw tumbling passes which is just as frightening. Is this the norm?

So whose allowed to go, how often and how long are they, is there seperate times for team kids/preschool age?

Little kids (under 6) have to go in the preschool gym area and must have a parent in attendance. They're only allowed in the main area during the open gym specifically for preschoolers (and, again, parent has to be out there with them).
Otherwise, it's similar to your gym--anyone and everyone--gymnastics skills or not. You don't want to be doing any major tumbling skills as someone might run out in front of you. They do have two coaches out there helping, but obviously aren't there to actually "coach" just make sure no one gets hurt!

We host two seperate times, one is for under 6 years old the other is for 7 and older.

The younger kids one is open to everyone but they are required to have a parent with them in the gym and its a lot of games and obstacle courses run by the coaches a little more structured.

The older kid one is very rare, once a month maybe and is generally offered only when there is a birthday party time slot open on the weekends. Its only for members and there are usually only 2 coaches so they do two events for half the time then switch to the other two events. Typically only team kids show up.

The yougner kids one is much more popular!

We didn't let anyone just come in off the street to our open gym unless they were coming with someone already in the club or had said they were interested in joining.

It was split by levels, about two hours each, and there were always loads of coaches wandering about for any advice etc. The coaches led warm up and cooldown, so if you weren't there for warmup you weren't getting in, but after warm up you were free to do as you wanted.​

It was every second Saturday, so two groups one Saturday and then the other two two weeks later.

I vaguely remember some rule about under 8s having to have a parent with them, but I think that may have been something to do with the council because our gym was part of a sports complex run by the council.

Our open gym is held once a month on a Saturday evening for 2 hours. All ages and experience is welcome and they usually have a sighn-up sheet ahead of time to get a number on how many kids to expect. That way they can appropriately staff it.

What I really like about the open gym is that everyone warms up together and does warm-up and stretching (required) and then the coach will go over the general rules. Parents of all ages are allowed out on the floor to supervise if they want. The younger kids usually stay in the pre-school area but the pit is usually a hot spot for the little ones. Most of the kids are usually really good about respecting the rules and turn-taking. The coach stresses this in the beginning of each open gym and enforces this throughout the evening.

we have a 13+ one every wensday night and a 6+ one every saturday. Parents arent allowed (isurence rule). Anyone can come. At the 6+ one the are 5 coaches supervising. Floor, beam vault, uneven bars and level 4 vault/ mens equiptment. They have a 10 minute warm up. At the 13+ one theres a few coaches and you do whatever.

We have a preschool open gym one afternoon a week, a 6+ open gym that's regardless of experience on Saturdays, and then parent's night out twice a month that's also regardless of experience but ages 6+. Having the itty bitties and the bigger kids at the same time would be a bit too much for me. Even the no-idea-what's-going-on kids and the team kids on the same floor scare me sometimes.

Open gym once a week. It costs less for members as opposed to non-members, thus making it more popular among members. We don't tolerate any potentially dangerous use of the equipment(ie swinging wildly on the still rings, etc) so the non-gymnasts tend to be fairly low in attendance once they figure that out. We do get some of the under 6 crowd to come jump on the tumbl trak, however they must be supervised ye a parent. Mostly it was always the really dedicated team gymnasts, with some determined pre-teamers every once in awhile.

Attendance is just about always extremely low-10 people is a busy day. I blame this on the fact no one knows this open gym exists.

My DD's gym offers open gym every Saturday. Ages 5 & up but ususally there are quite a few coaches around and they stress the rules at warm up each week. I would say 90% of the kids there are on team. Attendance is ususally pretty big, I would say 20 kids is average.

Open gym is for team members only, and there are no regularly scheduled open gyms.

Our club has open gym every Sunday for preschoolers from 3:30 to 4:30. All kids 5 and under are allowed with the 4 and 5 year olds in their area and the 3 and under with a parent in the tot gym. Open gym for 6 and older is from 4:30 to 6:30 and there is a lot of supervision from coaches. Preschool is five dollars and 6 and up is ten dollars. Any one is allowed with a waiver but the coaches are very organized and safety conscience.

Our gym has open gym once a week. It is only for members of the gym you have to enrolled in classes. They usually have 2 coaches supervising someimes it is crowded but usually not too much. Unfortuately my daughter has become addicted to it so I think they should just add the fee onto my monthly tutition, she will stay for open gym after a 3 1/2 hour practice. I honestly do not mind because she has fun hanging out with her friends. When she comes home she usually falls asleep and is ready for the next days long practice.

A few times a year we will have fun nights for the team kids and they will get some open gym time. Otherwise, no open gym, at all. As a coach, that's fine with me.

It would be fine with me too! We get on average 30 kids and our gym is not all that large! We aren't fortunate to have a preschool gym.. yet (we're renovating soon), so in the mean time, parents come in with the youngsters making it even more packed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back