Coaches Opening a Gym - HOW?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
To anyone with advice, or who has done it before -

How do you get started opening your own gym? I'm going to do it. Maybe it won't be for many years, but I'm definitely going to do it. I understand that if I don't buy an existing gym I would need to start small, since I'm not a millionaire.

What do you do first? Find a warehouse to lease? What legal issues do you deal with?

What to avoid?

Go down to city hall, or whoever has the authority to enforce zoning regulations, and find out what areas of your town have zoning compatible with your plans. Light industrial is fairly economical, but if you want to start out really small you may want to consider commercial zoning for the increased visibility and customer convenience.

Look for a lawyer who can advise you on issues of how to designate your business.... like incorporate, sole proprietor, and a few other choices. It would also have a lawyer confirm with the city that the use you intend for any building you rent is allowed.

Have a get together with the small business administration. I hear they are great at guiding new business owners.

@PalmTree
  • What would be the goals or focus of your gym?
  • Are you looking to have a competitive team?...boys...girls...Xcel...T&T...cheer?
  • Are you looking to have a highly competitive high level optional team?
  • Location is vital...do you have a city in mind?...or are you open?
Everything that you have ever though in you mind about this idea...type it out in front of us...then we could help better.

We (wife and I) have been close to buying...but not time yet. My age and my goals dictate that starting a gym would not be the correct course of action for us...but you may be different.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back